main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Can a moderator / Staff please reply regarding iptv throttling

4: Newbie

We posted another thread but yet no one from support has been able to reply 

We fault found the problem you guys are having with IPTV Buffering,  no one on your network can currently watch iptv higher than 3meg bitrate - we have to use a VPN to get a working service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q << Video Proof

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/td-p/26...

What's basically happening is this

Doing a traceroute normally show's the route just to get via twitch - you guys are routing via ASIA this means we will never be able to watch IPTV until you resolve this!

C:\Users\mrmar>tracert twitch.tv

Tracing route to twitch.tv [151.101.66.167]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms host-212-158-250-39.dslgb.com [212.158.250.39]
3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 63.130.104.202
4 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms ae1.126.man.cw.net [195.89.96.113]
5 170 ms 170 ms 170 ms ae21-xcr1.ltw.cw.net [195.2.9.97]
6 170 ms 181 ms 171 ms ae18-xcr2.prp.cw.net [195.2.8.226]
7 33 ms 53 ms 34 ms ae18-xcr1.mar.cw.net [195.2.25.65]
8 169 ms 169 ms 170 ms ae33-xcr1.sng.cw.net [195.2.2.58]
9 170 ms 169 ms 240 ms 103.244.50.186
10 170 ms 169 ms 169 ms 151.101.66.167

Trace complete.

Once we VPN and re-do the trace it goes a differnt route and everything is fine, 

C:\Users\mrmar>tracert twitch.tv

Tracing route to twitch.tv [151.101.66.167]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 10.8.8.1
2 106 ms 103 ms 82 ms 1.76.44.185.baremetal.zare.com [185.44.76.1]
3 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms ae2.31-rt1-cr.ldn.as25369.net [185.38.150.226]
4 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms ae21.rt0-cr.ldn.as25369.net [5.226.136.6]
5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms ae0.rt0-thn.ldn.as25369.net [5.226.136.28]
6 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms ip81-59.fastly-gw1.lonap.net [5.57.81.59]
7 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 151.101.66.167

Trace complete.

When I first joined vodafone everything worked and this has only just started in the last few weeks - can we have a timeframe to when this is fixed because I'm happy to leave vodafone for another supplier. 

View more options
26 REPLIES

So you guys are really going to ignore this?

There are hundreds of your customers with this same problem http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/vodafone.html

If you have no idea how to correct the traffic routing then just tell us,  choosing to ignore and telling customers to clear *cookies is only showing customers how incompetent the company really is. 

I'm paying £28 a month + calls for an unsable product.

View more options
7: Helper

its not just iptv throttling its allso general internet , some site work fine and some are routed through cw.net 

check this out https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/vodafone-home-broadband-slow-internet/td-p/2619...

View more options
13: Advanced Member

It's definitely been down to some odd/manic/bizzare routing.  Thing is that as from a couple of days ago, my routing seems back to normal.

View more options
2: Seeker

Has anyone managed to get our of contract because of this?  It doesnt look like anything is going to be fixed anytime soon and with the speeds I am getting the service is unusable.

View more options

my ip routing seams to be ok today and yesterday and yes they have told me i can leave twitchtv.jpg

View more options

What speeds do you get on think broadband speed check?  Mines as bad as it’s been, 5mb on single thread download. 35mb on multithread download.

View more options

daytime around 30mb but night time is bad speed.jpgspeedtest 12dec.jpg

View more options

@mrmarkyuk Hi there, I've been off for the last few days but before I left I had checked with our Tech 2 and 3rd line teams if they were aware of any issues with our routing links, they confirmed they weren't aware of any issues with the cw.net link but if I was seeing customers with slow trace routes to get a case raised for this. Before I send the private message with the link, please try the tracert again as @gipjon has shown his has returned to an acceptable ping on his. Joe

View more options

Hi Joe

Just tried a quick tracert  is looking like the routing has corrected itself it does depend on the time of day though - we could try at maybe 1pm or 6pm and the route is crazy.

The buffering remains - at the moment if you watch twitch at source (1080p) it will buffer - Watching the peformance tab (Ethernet) it won't go about 4 meg (bitrate) however once I VPN and watch the same stream it jumps up to a bitrate of around 8 -10 meg / myself and other customers can confirm there is some kind of throttling - others on this forum also used VPN and it works.

Please watch this video it will show you exactly what's happening >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q   You really need to see it - this will show you exactly our problem.

You have too many customers on the forums with all the exact same problem to be a single user issue - you have to consider there is something broken your side - it worked perfect back on BT but not on vodafone ,  also have a quick look into other treads on here and over on http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/vodafone.html all with this exact issue regarding vpn / netflix / youtube and twitch.

I tried vodafone customer support and as you can see on this forum other customers also went that route and it's beyond frustraiting with the response we get - You really are our last hope Joe, there is no point doing any tests our side because we know some kind of throttling is taking place hence the reason it works fine via VPN.

I've counted something like 38 people on this forum with the EXACT same issue some joining just to post the problem - we need you to tell us your fixing it.

View more options

Yep this is exactly the problem I have when trying to watch my IPTV service that Im paying £40 a year for - currently unusable on HD streams which is most of the channels...  I cant use it on 4g as a workaround either because my mobile provider has a complete block on IPTV now so need to move off them also (which again is recent) - I might do some tracert's when I get home tonight.  Like MrMarkyUK, the problem only started a few weeks ago too for me.  My 18 month contract expires in April - not sure I can put up with the issue until then so I second MrMarkyUK's sentiments.  Watch the video and tell us youre fixing it please... Im paying £32 a month for broadband and dont expect to have this kind of problem for this amount of time...

Thanks

Jimbo

View more options

Thanks for providing us with that information @mrmarkyuk. I appreciate you're eager to get something sorted.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

@JimboAccy - If you could send us some test results as well, we can discuss this further.

View more options

Thanks Mark I've completed this hopefully I can get this progressed asap - I've decided to leave vodafone for another provider.

View more options

@MarkF wrote:

Thanks for providing us with that information @mrmarkyuk. I appreciate you're eager to get something sorted.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

@JimboAccy - If you could send us some test results as well, we can discuss this further.

Ok can do - just tell me what you want to know.  Bear in mind Ive already spoken to the online chat guys and moderator TJ sent me a PM the other day to escalate the issue to the Social Media team using the form which I completed 2 days ago which had a link to the thread I created here https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Problems-with-streaming-live-tv/td-p/2619734 (before I saw all the other threads and realised I wasnt the only person with streaming issues) describing all the steps taken with the online chat guys and also using some tips from on here like the master socket test etc... Still waiting for a response on that too.  Chased with TJ earlier..

Jimbo

View more options

@JimboAccy thanks for getting back in touch. When you got in contact through the form included in the private message, we'll have sent you a confirmation email to let you know we've got your query.  Did you receive this?

If not, it doesn't sound like it's been delivered correctly and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused. Please try clearing your cache and cookies, or try using a different browser to send the form and let me know how you get on. 

View more options

Hi TJ - I got a response yesterday thanks (a few hours after posting this) asking me for more security details etc which Ive replied to and it looks like Ive just got another reply within the last few minutes from that...

Thank you

Jimbo

View more options

If you dont laugh, youll cry - heres the response Ive received after waiting nearly 72 hours hahahahahah

Hi James,

Thanks for confirming this for us, I’ve taken this opportunity to run a few tests on the service.

What I’m finding is your service is telling our network your receiving 55Mbps which is above your Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 40Mbps.

All tests are indicating there’s no issues within the connection within your service and area.

I can see that your aware of how to change your Wi-Fi channels, I’d advise you to split the SSID.

I’ve text you with steps to follow, this way we can determine if the issues are with one frequency.

Regards,

[Removed]

Social Media

Vodafone Limited
Vodafone HQ, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2FN
Registered in England No 1471587

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information please see Community Guidelines]

View more options

I hate talking disrespectful of people but the customer support staff don't really know anything technical and that sadly is the truth - everything is being copying and pasted from scripts,  I've not actually seen anyone's problem resolve until they leave vodafone.

At the moment it's almost criminal what there doing and actually getting away with it,  they offering a non service and claiming it's fine - Logically if you get lot's of people on a forum all saying the same thing the answer would be ok we must have a issue let's fix it,  I honestly don't think they know how too.

View more options

There is only one answer we are starting to come together as a community because we are all having the same issues over and over and vodafone seams to be washing every thing under the carpet etc also the media team needs to be replaced with more qualified advisers lets all help each other please read and share this post https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/i-have-emailed-the-complaints-team/td-p/2621027

View more options

On the Vodafone router is there an option to disable flood protection?, On my non Vodafone router it is under the firewall tab, seems to improve things for me in regards of  buffering when streaming.

View more options