main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Degrading Broadband Performance

2: Seeker

For the last few days we have suffered slowly degrading broadband speed and disconnects starting at sync speed of 43mb down and 6mb up (with a real download of 22mb down and 5mb up) and now down to sync speed of 43mb still but now with a Download of 22mb and upload of less than 1mb as per the speedtest results.

Ever since this has happened, British Gas (well SGN to be precise) have dug two holes next to a BT manhole cover that is outside our house. This has coincided with the degrade in Performance. On speaking to the SGN guys outside they said they are investigating Water in the gas main and reckon water is seeping into the network from further up the road, and the holes are merely for diagnostics and nothing else and that it shouldnt affect my phone line and broadband. (At one point Thames Water also paid a visit to "stare into the hole")

This actually got me thinking, now I know from previous experience the BT Manhole is always full of water and is not watertight (something that BT openreach enginner that was standing in it once assured me was "fine") and we have never had a spectacular performance when we should have been getting at least 56mb+

Could water ingress of a sufficient quantity to affect the gas main (and fill the BT manhole) from an upstream source (no pun intended) be sufficient to stuff my broadband? and if so how do I get it fixed @Vodafone?

View more options
13 REPLIES

Incidently I was assured by one of your (so called) technical support guys that

- Altering my DNS settings

- Changing my Wifi Channel

- Splitting my 5ghz/2.5ghz wifi network

- changing my default admin password

Will improve my sync speed and lead to less disconnects, now I know enought about computers and broadband to know this will not fix the problem! and indeed I had already undertaken these optimisation steps the first day I had the service installed!

View more options

Stats

Interleaved path
Bit rate
    Downstream     Upstream
Actual data rate     43321 (Kbps.)     1057 (Kbps.)

Operating data
    Downstream     Upstream
SNR Margin     4.2 dB     7.1 dB
Loop Attenuation     21.4 dB     8.4 dB
Error counter
Indicator name     Downstream     Upstream
FEC Corrections     0     212358019
CRC Error     166     0

View more options

just spoke to another online "support person"

"Please unplug your router and plug it into test socket"

"But wont it disconnect the broadband?"

"No we can still remain connected"

(facepalm)

Did thhis and broadband disconnects along with chat

Now at 40mb Down and 967kps Up... Wow a record!

Can someone competant from Vodafone contact me to sort this out please?

View more options

Hey @crocks sorry to see you're having some issues.

From what you’ve described, water ingress is certainly a possibility. This will cause errors on your line, and our systems will reduce your sync speed to try and compensate.

We'd really need to run some tests to be sure, however we can’t help with account specific queries on our forums.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Blair

View more options

Well I've just had an engineer visit (now 4 holes outside the house thanks to British Gas!) and guess what? The "Intermittant fault" has gone away! precisely because it's "Intermittant!!" - nothing was fixed just everything tested and the engineer verified and validated that there was nothing at all wrong with my Internal wiring, so I personally feel (and the enginner does too) that there is "still" a open fault on this line.

The engineer to his credit was very helpful and knowledgable and had an extensive experience of these issues in the local area, he said it was very likely down to a Degraded T Joint which would be buried somewhere in the ground (Our infrastructure is too old to have manholes for the T joints - apparently in newer builds, each house has a small manhole outside with a T joint from the main cable inside it - ours is buried in earth) - apparently this connection is likely to be 15-25 years old and in his personal opinion is likely to need replacing, however they cannot do anything about it until they physically "prove" that the fault is there! Which is also unlikely as he said due to the intermittant nature of the fault.

So sadly it looks like my fault will only ever be resolved due to blind Luck of it happening when an engineer visits and said engineer being bothered to trace the fault. I can only pray it happens when I have today's engineer visiting.

So while I have a reasonable download speed of 34mbs-40mbs (According to the line checker I should be getting 55mbs) which is acceptable to Vodafone as its above the minimum, my upload speed is anything from 975kpbs to 5mbs depending on what mood the line is in for that day!

What a marvellous top quality telecoms infrastructure we have in this country!

View more options

Have you discussed this further with our broadband Tech2 team @crocks?

If so, have they advised if anything further can be done at this stage? 

Blair 

View more options

@Blair wrote:

Have you discussed this further with our broadband Tech2 team @crocks?

If so, have they advised if anything further can be done at this stage? 

Blair 

@Blair

Unless you are prepared to force Openreach to dig the path up and replace our T-Joint with the correct standard of joint + manhole cover then I cannot see the point in carrying on with this fault further for now. It is an intermittant fault which has not surprisingly gone away because its Intermittant!

Unless you can put a permant monitor on the line to track it 24/7 it is down to blind luck that the fault persists until an engineer visits - normally a few days after the Fault is raised!

Our upload speed has gone back to 6mbs and the line crackle/distortion has gone. I am not prepared to have this closed off, because as stated previously there is a fault on the line. Its just that nothing is likely to be done until it either totally breaks, or as stated above it happens to be faulting when an Engineer visits.

View more options

@crocks Although this is an intermittent issue, we'll be more than happy to continue to look in to this for you. Have you received a closure message from our Tech 2 team? If so please let us know and we'll have to contact you again through private message. Joe

View more options

@Joe wrote:

@crocks Although this is an intermittent issue, we'll be more than happy to continue to look in to this for you. Have you received a closure message from our Tech 2 team? If so please let us know and we'll have to contact you again through private message. Joe

I have not recieved any closure message, in fact i have not had any update from Vodafone at all. I am only relaying what the Knowledgable and friendly Openreach Engineer said to me will be in his report.

View more options

Sometimes a property may actually be fed by more than one copper pair. It depends on previous use, what cable they had at the time, age of install etc etc. We actually have 3 pairs, even though we only have one land-line.

If this IS the case for you, then there may be an opportunity to get an engineer to 'switch to a different pair' to get you off an intermittent line. However, this process can take an hour or so, and may depend on the 'engineer's mindset as to whether it's a possible solution'. If you get my drift.

Just a thought...

View more options

@crocks Please contact us via the email or the private message @Blair sent to you. Our Broadband team will get back to you as soon as they can. Joe

View more options

@Joe wrote:

@crocks Please contact us via the email or the private message @Blair sent to you. Our Broadband team will get back to you as soon as they can. Joe

@Joe Please resend the message as I can't find it.

Currently the line has been stable for 3 days, however the number of FEC Corrections is in the Millions - this does definately not seem right.

View more options

Sorry about that, @crocks.

I've sent you a new Private Message with details on how to get in touch.

We can check historical records and also arrange to monitor over a longer period if necessary, so i'm confident our Tech 2 team will get this resolved.

Blair

View more options