main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Extending wifi range

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

We can only receive wifi in the rooms close to the router, we have been told to use additional routers,  wifi extenders and powerline extenders so I'm now completely  confused.

we have 3 storeys up and same wide so would need 2 of whatever is needed. 

Has anyone got any experience of this and advice on which of the 3 to choose please. 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey @madmumof5

Powerline adapters are great, they plug into your mains power sockets, and basically create a network over your electrical mains circuit. One drawback is there prone to interference from devices plugged into other sockets. I have a couple of fish tanks at home and the pumps I use cause a bit of interference on mine.

They’re pretty inexpensive though, and It would be an idea to get a couple of these to try them out.

Wi-Fi extenders are also great;. You just need to install them where the signal is starting to drop off they will then send out another Wi-Fi signal which can reach further. There are basic ones and slightly techier ones which create a mesh network in your home.

Using another router is an option too, it would be best to run an Ethernet cable from our router to the other one. You can then use the other router in the same way. The drawback is the Ethernet cable running through your house.

Blair

View more options
3 REPLIES
4: Newbie

you would be best to get a local companie to have a look or someone with wifi knowlage.

have a look at the lins below, ensure where ever you buy from has a no quibble retuns policey.

read this <click me>

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/devolo-dlan-1200-wifi-powe...

you could also look at a mesh network soultion or geting the access points hardwired and using a ubiquity or simlar product, but it would be pricey .

View more options
13: Advanced Member

I agree with copex that your best bet is to get in someone to take a look at the property.  It's not just the size of the property, but also the construction of the property, and in the case of powerline adapters how good the wiring is (even how the floor by floor mains rings are configured).  In a large property the costs of taking risks on a "potential" solution could be to high to justify.

*Using an Asus AIMesh with an RT-AC86U, and an RT-AC68U connected together using TP-Link AV1000 HomePlug AV2s.  The mesh is set up not only to provide transparent seamless node to node handovers, but also where sensible to load balance between the nodes.  It is COMPLETELY transparent in operation, no messing, it just has to work, no fuss! **There are other systems that will work just as well and depending on the environment even better!

View more options

Hey @madmumof5

Powerline adapters are great, they plug into your mains power sockets, and basically create a network over your electrical mains circuit. One drawback is there prone to interference from devices plugged into other sockets. I have a couple of fish tanks at home and the pumps I use cause a bit of interference on mine.

They’re pretty inexpensive though, and It would be an idea to get a couple of these to try them out.

Wi-Fi extenders are also great;. You just need to install them where the signal is starting to drop off they will then send out another Wi-Fi signal which can reach further. There are basic ones and slightly techier ones which create a mesh network in your home.

Using another router is an option too, it would be best to run an Ethernet cable from our router to the other one. You can then use the other router in the same way. The drawback is the Ethernet cable running through your house.

Blair

View more options