Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Extending wifi range

madmumof5
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

We can only receive wifi in the rooms close to the router, we have been told to use additional routers,  wifi extenders and powerline extenders so I'm now completely  confused.

we have 3 storeys up and same wide so would need 2 of whatever is needed. 

Has anyone got any experience of this and advice on which of the 3 to choose please. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @madmumof5

Powerline adapters are great, they plug into your mains power sockets, and basically create a network over your electrical mains circuit. One drawback is there prone to interference from devices plugged into other sockets. I have a couple of fish tanks at home and the pumps I use cause a bit of interference on mine.

They’re pretty inexpensive though, and It would be an idea to get a couple of these to try them out.

Wi-Fi extenders are also great;. You just need to install them where the signal is starting to drop off they will then send out another Wi-Fi signal which can reach further. There are basic ones and slightly techier ones which create a mesh network in your home.

Using another router is an option too, it would be best to run an Ethernet cable from our router to the other one. You can then use the other router in the same way. The drawback is the Ethernet cable running through your house.

Blair

View solution in original position

33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

you would be best to get a local companie to have a look or someone with wifi knowlage.

have a look at the lins below, ensure where ever you buy from has a no quibble retuns policey.

read this <click me>

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/devolo-dlan-1200-wifi-powe...

you could also look at a mesh network soultion or geting the access points hardwired and using a ubiquity or simlar product, but it would be pricey .

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with copex that your best bet is to get in someone to take a look at the property.  It's not just the size of the property, but also the construction of the property, and in the case of powerline adapters how good the wiring is (even how the floor by floor mains rings are configured).  In a large property the costs of taking risks on a "potential" solution could be to high to justify.

*Using an Asus AIMesh with an RT-AC86U, and an RT-AC68U connected together using TP-Link AV1000 HomePlug AV2s.  The mesh is set up not only to provide transparent seamless node to node handovers, but also where sensible to load balance between the nodes.  It is COMPLETELY transparent in operation, no messing, it just has to work, no fuss! **There are other systems that will work just as well and depending on the environment even better!

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @madmumof5

Powerline adapters are great, they plug into your mains power sockets, and basically create a network over your electrical mains circuit. One drawback is there prone to interference from devices plugged into other sockets. I have a couple of fish tanks at home and the pumps I use cause a bit of interference on mine.

They’re pretty inexpensive though, and It would be an idea to get a couple of these to try them out.

Wi-Fi extenders are also great;. You just need to install them where the signal is starting to drop off they will then send out another Wi-Fi signal which can reach further. There are basic ones and slightly techier ones which create a mesh network in your home.

Using another router is an option too, it would be best to run an Ethernet cable from our router to the other one. You can then use the other router in the same way. The drawback is the Ethernet cable running through your house.

Blair

I enjoyed your posting in response to Extenders.

The Extender that comes with Vodafone's Full Fibre, is it WiFi backhaul or Ethernet?

I already have an Ethernet able from one side of the house (where the router will go) to the other, where the wifi doesn't currently reach.

I'd like an Ethernet Backhauled extender?  If the one that comes with Vodafone doesnt do that, can I purchase a Backhaul Extender that will work with the Vodafone router?

I currently use an additional router at the other end of the house with the same SSID.  and whilst that work, some devices cling on to the first AP they find and the routers dont hand them over.  You have to disable and renable wifi on the device to connect to the other router (I wouldnt expect routers to hand them over to be fair)  but do extenders hand them over better or is it still upto the device to do that?

Wnichol1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I put it down to the appalling Router Vodafone provides. I have exactly the same problem - it is fantastic in the room with the router and absolutely terrible in any other room.

the BT / Sky or Talk Talk routers I had no issue at all so Is definitely the Vodafone router. 

I had wasted my time on several occasions with Vodafone customer care taking me through line splitting etc.... All they are interested in is data over the line - if the computer tells them the feed to house is fine then they ignore the customer that the WiFi has any problems at all. 

Terrible  customer Service - I asked for a new router as this service can’t be what it was intended for and the answer was NO. 

I wished I had not taken on a 2 year contract with them as can’t wait to get back to a good honest supplier who makes the effort to help. 

I have Plug in a Range extenders all over the house as this is the only way to use this dreadful system! 

I am so pleased someone else is having the same problem - with both the router only working in one room as well as the AWFUL customer service.

I’ve just started a 2year contract and if I could get out of it - I would. 

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tally299 I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues with your Wi-Fi. Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel to help improve the connection? If you're unsure of how to do this, please check out our Broadband User Guide  (Page 7) 

We're unable to guarantee a Wi-Fi connection speed as there are many things that can affect that, e.g. if the router is facing a mirror/reflective surface, the materials in the walls of your home, the thickness of those walls, the amount of devices you're trying to connect to the router at the same time etc. 

Other steps you can try include: 

1. Disconnect any devices that don't need to be connected at all times
  2. Watch our handy video for optimising your Wi-Fi here
  3. Try a cable connection where possible
  4. Ensure you're connected to a master socket rather than an extension socket
  5. Make sure the router is in the most central location possible within your home and isn't any behind any furniture that can block the signal
  6. Make sure there are no baby monitors, radios, microwaves, or other routers nearby as this will disrupt the signal
  7. Ensure the router is away from any reflective surfaces such as mirrors, polished metals, windows, or fish tanks as this will bounce the signal back to the router

If you've tried the above, please get back in touch with our Social Media team here, if you're getting lower speeds than expected through a wired connection. We'd be happy to investigate faults on your line there as we're unable to access accounts over the forum. I hope this helps 🙂

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Beth wrote:

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel to help improve the connection? If you're unsure of how to do this, please check out our Broadband User Guide  (Page 7) 

OMG! 

Cynric

Powerline works for me. As far as I know the signal over mains wires is only blocked at the electric meter, so unless you have multiple meters in you home you should (fingers crossed) be fine. Do have a look at the powerline items that include Wi-Fi extenders built-in, this may be the answer to all your needs. Well I hope it is.