Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Getting my ASUS AC88U router setup

Mrgundam
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Evening all, I could do with a bit of advice.

Recently I joined Vodafone Broadband 76Mbps (getting 45) and want to use my own ASUS router for handling my LAN. Disappointed to see my Vodafone router does not have a bridge mode for some reason. I was given my PPPOE details when I contacted support but they didn't offer much help other than that.

My ASUS router does have a section for PPPOE details (Merlin Firmware) but am I right in thinking that I cannot use this with the Vodafone router and as my ASUS router has no modem built in I will need a Vodafone compatible router that allows bridge mode to my ASUS?

Seems everyone points towards the Openreach HG612 3B so ordered one from eBay which is  unlocked with firmware C01B030SP08. Can anyone confirm I have order the correct modem/router?

I am also not sure where I will enter PPPOE details, my ASUS or the BT openreach modem/router?

If I have something wrong I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for getting in touch with us @Mrgundam.

As you're using a third party router, we'd be unable to advise. I can advise that you follow the setup details that come with your router.

Hopefully someone on our community will see this thread and advise you.☺️

florca
4: Newbie

You enter the PPPoE details in your Asus router. The HG612 should "just work" as a modem in Bridge mode with no changes needed if you've received it with a default (BT) configuration - if you need to check or change the HG612 config then there's lots of useful help on the kitz.co.uk site.

Also see this Vodafone Community thread for more information:

HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL

If the supplied login details don't work then double (triple..) check that they've been supplied correctly - lots of instances of transposed / confused characters. They sometimes seem to forget to give you the "@broadband.vodafone.co.uk" suffix to the username.  A copy/paste from a Live Chat session seems to work best, and depending on who you speak to they may insist that you use an Openreach approved device - but note that they can't actually tell what you're using other than it's not their HG2500....

That is great florca thanks.

I now have a HG612 3B which is unlocked that I purchased on ebay.

Should I reset all the settings on this to default or should I go in and turn off firewall etc and let my Asus router handle it all?

Did you literally just enter the PPPoE log in details into the asus router or where there other settings also like VLAN tag to 101 etc?

I'd leave the HG612 on its default settings ( which should be Bridge mode with a WAN VLAN Id of 101 ). Enter the Username and PW in the Asus router, you shouldn't need anything else. FWIW my (default, unchanged) HG612 config looks like this:

HG612.jpg