main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Getting nowhere with Tech Support

2: Seeker

5 dayus ago I reported via online chat that my download speeds had dropped to <20Mbps from the usual mid 60sMbps.  I was advised to phone for support since "they had more tools available".  I've now made 6 calls to 'phone support and I'm getting nowhere.  I have to be honest that the 'phone support agents are prompt to answer, friendly, chatty and genuinely seemed concerned about the situation.  The latest development is that I was asked to mail speedtest.net screenshots to convergedtech2.  Then, after 24 hours they reply that what I sent is not acceptable - it doesn't show the system time when the screenshot was taken!  I attach the file and sure it doesn't show the system time but speedtest.net give the date and time of each test.  This looks like bloodymindedness unless they genuinely believe I've created a webpage to look every bit like a genuine speedtest.net webpage, filled it with spurious data and then mailed it to them!  I also attached a csv file downloaded from speedtest.net which fully detailed the last 50 speedtests.  They say they can't use that either.

18 REPLIES
13: Advanced Member

You can "try" to get the to tell you precisely and pedantically what they are expecting you to do!

One problem is that according to Vodafone Tech support their Newbury speedtest server is currently not functioning correctly (even though it works better than their London one!).  You'd think that an internet company with a malfunctioning server would fix it wouldn't you!

If they can't tell you precisely what info they want from you, then you are left with either putting up with it, or going into full blown dispute!

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint

Good luck and keep us updated

View more options

Thank you for that information, especially the complaints link.  I've raised a complaint saying that I'm getting nowhere with Tech Support after 1 online chat, 6 'phone calls and emailed speed test results.  The speed I'm receiving (<20Mbps) for a 75Mbps service is far below an acceptable level.  As part of the complaint I've given VF notice to terminate, without penalty, due to VF not providing the service being paid for.  I await their response, in the meantime what I was paying Zen before the switch to VF doesn't seem such bad value now (serves me right for being a cheapskate).  I'll be returning to the ever competent Zen.

View more options

Hey @loades, it's disappointing to see you're not getting the speeds you should be. Are the tests provided over Wi-Fi, or do you get the same problem on a wired connection too? 

View more options

As I've told every Support Agent on every call.  The results are always <20Mbps down and >20Mbps up either via LAN cable or wireless to a PC.  LAN cable or wireless to laptop.  Only one device connected at a time.  Always with all programs closed and only a browser with single tab open (same results in Chrome, Firefox and Edge).  No background processes running.  CSV file of the last 50 tests run on speedtest.net downloaded and mailed, but they wont accept that.  Screenshot of most recent 6 speedtest.net results mailed also unacceptable.  Formal complaint made via the published complaints process - not even had an acknowledgement.  But I took a screenshot of it should this end up in the Small Claims Division of the County Court. 

After close examination I now realise that the speed guarantee wont cover me for <20Mbps on a 75Mbps connection.  I have no dispute that my router is synced at 69Mbps which meets the guarantee criteria.  It is throughput which is so low.  I think I could prove in a Small Claims Court that I've taken sufficient measures to rule out a problem at my end.  The very low throughput must therefore be somewhere in the VF system.  The sale of Goods Act and the service not being of merchantable quality will be the basis of my Court claim for the penalty I must pay to move elsewhere.

View more options
3: Seeker

I'm getting varied results with speed tests.

I'm on a 76Mbps connection (but it syncs at 68Mbps).

On speedtest it was far lower than I'd expect (20Mbps download) until I manually switched away from the Newbury server to Milton Keynes which then shows 66Mbps. Most other sites report something expected other than fast.com which is currently reporting a ridiculous 9.9Mbps.

A friend of mine (also with Vodafone but with 35Mbps, syncs at 40Mbps) gets consistent results everywhere.

I have an issue with regular WAN disconnects and I'm getting nowhere with tech support either.

View more options

They must be saying something when they reject the speedtest results surely?

Regards the Speed test results.  It looks like Vodafone have in the last few days VERY quietly fixed a routing issue they had with external sites.  They still appear to have a routing issue with sites on their own and the C&W network.  As such, at the moment you can't rely on using Vodafones own speedtest servers to verify anything!

If you can't even get a response/deadlock letter within a reasonable time frame then your next step ought to be to straight to ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution).

Regards guaranteed speeds:  The price reduction is indeed based on "sync rate", however if you refer back to your joining letter (probably page 3 or 4) then you do have guaranteed DOWNLOAD speeds - this service level guarantee is different to the sync speed.  It is that service level not being met that puts you in the position of being able go into dispute!

*If you have a letter with different "minimum download speed" and "minimum guaranteed speed" then you can use the higher of the two in order to initiate the dispute as legally having a guaranteed speed that is lower than the service minimum is a nonsense (VF proof take note - this should become clearer soon as it is SPECIFICALLY outlined in the upcoming OFCOM "voluntary" code of conduct update).  Further, if the letter quotes a minimum upload speed, that should be viewed as being a minimum service level, and used as a point of dispute if needed!

**Using the ADR service is preferable to the Small Claims Service, as it negates the possible expense of needing call an expert witness to explain/verify the validity of your speedtest results.

View more options

"They must be saying something when they reject the speedtest results surely?"

They are, please read my message in this thread, clicking on more will show the screenshot which I sent them.  Bloody mindedness!

Thanks for the rest of your message.  Very helpful.

View more options

I can't see the scan.  If there's any personal in fo in there it may have been removed!

View more options

I can see them. Click "view more options" at the bottom of the first message of the thread and it should show two attachments.

View more options

Thanks for the reply @loades; I'm sorry that you're not getting consistant speeds either @stevex. I've sent you both a private message over with details on how to get in touch, so I can access your account to take a look into this further. 

View more options

@TJ wrote:

Thanks for the reply @loades; I'm sorry that you're not getting consistant speeds either @stevex. I've sent you both a private message over with details on how to get in touch, so I can access your account to take a look into this further. 

Done!

View more options

Thanks a bunch!

I responded to your private message immediately and have waited for 3 days for the following response:

"If a complaint has been raised this will be dealt with by the Customer Relations team or our Technical Team to review what's causing this issue."

"With other teams already being involved there would be nothing further we could add to this as it would be duplicating work already done."

Just one final question, why in your private message give me a special reference to quote in the response which also required me to reference this thread?  As a moderator you must surely know that I'd be wasting my time, and if not you should have.

View more options

Whoever checked my connection also removed the static IP address straight away to see if it was causing anything: how they would think it can cause WAN disconnections is anyone's guess.

I got a text suggesting the problem had been resolved (it hasn't) and I also got a reply to my private message which didn't help much.

The reply said I now have to ask for a static IP address again and interestingly contained the following quote: "Please be advised that if it's a consumer service we cannot guarantee a Static IP will be stable and may not work." I don't see any mention of that in the price plan document.

Update: spoke to someone on live chat who said the new modem was misconfigured. This wasn't a user settable parameter but something it seems only tech support could change. Just done a hard reset and got my static IP address back. No idea what was changed: we shall see if it fixes anything.

View more options

Well something has definitely changed with the router reconfiguration by tech support today. I have static IP address back, speed test to Newbury is fine (I was seeing 20Mbps before). Using speedtest for single connections shows >60Mbps also fast.com shows 63Mbps (that showed 10Mbps at one point before).

We shall see if that fixes the WAN disconnects.

View more options

Hey @loades, we ask you till in the information in the private message so that we can discuss your account in more detail. The response you've shown in your post indicates this is likely already being dealt with by another department. We wouldn't know this until we can gain access to your account.

The reason we ask you quote the reference and this thread link is, so that the dedicated team that picks it up can get all the information they require about your issue.

Did you get any further updates from our Customer Relations team? 

View more options
7: Helper

if you look around the forum there are more than just you having these same issues but we are starting to come together as a community because we are all having the same issues over and over and vodafone seams to be washing every thing under the carpet etc also the media team needs to be replaced with more qualified advisers lets all help each other please read and share this post https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/i-have-emailed-the-complaints-team/td-p/2621027

View more options

Update 2. I had no WAN disconnects for 36 hours which made me optimistic. However in the last 8 hours there have been 3 disconnects. Oh and I got charged for delivery of the replacement router which was subsequently waived after yet another call to tech support.

Like so many others in this forum: the saga continues.

View more options

Hi loads, 

If you are using powerline adapters, unplug them for 30 seconds, plug them back in and try again. 

If not, unplug the adsl line and plug it back in after 30 seconds and check

I find this works alot of the time

View more options