Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Guaranteed minimum speed - what a lie

mbames
13: Advanced Member

Guaranteed min speed of 35Mbps when I signed up; line syncs at close to 40, but it can only just manage 25Mbps (even when testing against their own speedtest.net server).  Issues has been occuring since late December, so the line has has sufficient time to perform its initial DLM.

Spoken to vf numerous times, they raise it to tech 2, who do some line tests, and then close the ticket as complete.

The phone/tech 1 kept talking about splitting my wifi channels, as but the issues occur on a wired PC that is totally pointless, and shows a general lack of understanding.  However they are quite friendly and more than happy to write/add endless notes to your account.

When I was with Sky (same line), the service was perfect.  Wish I'd never moved as vf are a bunch of clowns in comparison.  My samknows box even reports performance as slow as 13Mbps, where there has been no one in the house, so I suspect that vf's backbone/exchange links are totally saturated.

22 REPLIES 22

Same, i had spells over the weekend of 65mbit/s, before plummeting back to 5mbit/s~.

Tonight, like every night:

I  believe Vodafone UK are advertisiing one thing - a guaranteed broadband speed or money off .

But the reality of the guarantee being based on Sync speed is of no use to man or beast.

Thy Sync speed gives no guarantee to actual broadband throughput.  So you can be happily syncing at 30Mbps / 7Mbps as I am but your throughput will vary from 30Mbps during the day to 3.5Mbps every evening (as mine does). Vodafone support will take you round the houses trying to diagnose it but in reality they know they cannot delivery guaranteed throughput. Once you do nail them down to not fixing the problem they blame Openreach for a "Red Cable Link Issue" (whatever that is, sounds like it's designed to scare customers off).  If you push them further they will quote your contract "sync speeds" are being provided as per contract. So all in all, pretty poor support around a service designed to stop you getting good speeds every evening (as in my case, fully documented with Vodafone support and now going through an OfCom process)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ofcom would appear to agree with you!  Ofcom differentiates between download speeds and sync speeds - as does your contract!  If you dig out the contract you'll find that it talks about download speeds and not sync speeds.  If you need to go into dispute with Vodafone, it is worth pointing this out!

Hi

di you have an update from ofcom?

the website and the letter you receive are from vf are two different things, what's in the letter it's not even advertised it mentioned in the website which is not right m.

Ormy
3: Seeker

Same as mine. My Vodafone app says synching at a constant 40mbps. It's been as low as 6mbps on WiFi and 14 on wired. Lies lies lies

Ross
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @aniolekx! I'm disappointed to hear that your speeds are fluctuating. As you know from your previous testing we are providing the correct speed so it's likely you're being affected by congestion caused by Wi-Fi traffic. I'd recommend downloading the Vodafone Broadband app and changing the settings to improve your speed. We have an online guide available that provides steps on how to do this.

@JamesBroadband @Ormy Have you tried any of the above?

Ross

speedbuggy

I totally agree. Initially when I joined VF I was getting 52 Mbps on Superfast2 (during my first 14 day cooling off period) and I was guaranteed a minimum of 55 Mbps (which I've never got). Then my speed dropped to 16Mbps and I got a my 15% discount to honour the guarantee and their tech 2 team investigated. A day later my speed was back up to 40Mbps and a month on its been 40 Mbps every day. So I contacted VF again (because its still not 55Mbps) only to be told they have 2 guaranteed minimums for superfast2 the second one is 36.91Mbps. OFCOM speed test shows mine to be even lower than 36.91 too. For what its worth Tech 2 team are on the case again and I did get some money back and a 15% discount. I dont agree with having 2 minimum guarantees and as I had 52Mbps in the initial cooling off period it shows that VF CAN get to that speed. Once you activate the 15% discount be aware your speed will automatically drop therafter and your new LOWER guarantee will kick in. I am sure what VF are doing is not legal

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @speedbuggy. When a broadband contract is taken out, we advise of a minimum guaranteed speed. If the speeds you then get are lower than 25 mbps for Superfast 1 or 55 mbps for Superfast 2 then we'll add a 15% discount to your line. The reason for the two speeds here is that Superfast 1 runs at a slower speed to Superfast 2. The one you agreed to when you signed your contract with us is the minimum guarantee we're required to meet and they are area specific. 

Please click here if you'd like to speak to an agent via social media in more detail about your account specifically

I know that already. The lie is, you dont actually guarantee either of those speeds so your guarantee is worthless

Hi @speedbuggy 

If you're using just WiFi, check out this video that can help with the speeds.

If you would like our broadband team to take a look at your speeds over Facebook or Twitter, you can find out how to contact them here