Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

I was just wondering is it possible to use the VF router for the internet connection and use the TP link router for the wifi by connecting them with a RJ45 cable.

machare
13: Advanced Member

@vcx20 wrote:

I was just wondering is it possible to use the VF router for the internet connection and use the TP link router for the wifi by connecting them with a RJ45 cable.

Yes.

a) Make sure the TP link router is set to an IP address outside the DHCP range of the Vodafone router.

b) Disable DHCP in the TP link router.

You may want to disable the Wifi on the Vodafone router.

Great stuff  do i plug into the lan ports or the wan ports i notice on the back of the vf one there are only lan ports but under a sticker there is a wan port and the tp link router has both wan and lan.

Once again thank you for your help.

machare

Use the lan ports.   The TP Link router might allow you to reconfigure the Wan port as a Lan port. I have a Zyxel router where this is possible.

Ok will give that a go so its all easy i hope i am so so on this but not great but can easily understand instructions 

Ok done it just as you said easier than i thought.

Thanks for your help.

eduardo007
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I switched to Vodafone 2 weeks ago - Max promised for their 17Mb package was 14 - on a par with Sky service I had before but not as expensive and offered better controls for device access (kids!).

I was told it might take up to 2 weeks for things to settle down... it has but not for the better.

Speeds were initially around 12Mbps down & 2 up on 2nd day - now they are >2Mbps down and .78 up & that's on ethernet from router not wifi. Wifi is worse.

Drop outs are constant on wifi.

Vodafone tell me there's no fault on the line....

Kids now want to lynch me so is using a 3rd party router likely to improve the down / up speed and reduce drop outs.

machare

What does the router show the connection speed to be?

And this is what I get on test....