Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

@machare wrote:

If the DM200 is still asking for userid and password, maybe try again and then reboot. The Vodafone router should just work, when its WAN port is connected to the DM200.  No need for you to know the connection userid and password.

It only asks for the usename and password when i do the automatic installation throught routerlogin.net

I can still access the settings of the dm200 through the manual configuration route.I'll have another look now at the settings.maybe its something ive missed.I know Its already set to vlan tag 101 and its in ppoe.Is there anything else i should look for? 

machare
13: Advanced Member

Maybe you don't need to select PPPoE as it is the Vodafone router that will be doing the PPPoE not the DM200.

Hey guys,

I’ve finally managed to crack it and the dm200 is working well with xr500 so far. I found a few posts on other forums that said to Instead of running the setup wizard on the dm200 do it manually. So I went into the manual setup and filled in a few boxes and the isp username and password and hey presto. Apparently the dm200 doesn’t like Vodafone when using the automatic setup wizard. Thanks a lot guys for your time and help 

Switched from Sky Fibre Unlimited and beginning to wish I hadn't. Speed to my Router is 80M Down and 20M Up, which is good but WiFi with only one device connected (i.e. my Smasung GS6 edge+) drops to 40M/18M. I've messed around with it by connecting my Sky Hub (SR102) to use for wifi and turned off wifi on the Voda Router but throughput is terrible, maybe 2M/2M. Restored everything to Factory and the best I see using Cat5e connection is only 22M/18M, again with Voda wifi disabled. I'm waiting for a call back from Level 1 support to discuss a replacement standard Voda Router but I am not confident this will improve my predicament. Has anyone got experience of a wif mesh system e.g. BT Whole Home etc?  Could I use a DM200 Modem and a Mesh System to get the wifi cover I need? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

machare

@fruitbat56.  In principle yes, but see above post re the DM200.  The Zyxel VMG1312-B10A run in bridge mode would be an alternative.  An ebay HG612 would be cheap and if bought from a regular supplier would likely work as supplied. No need for configuration.

Top man, thanks machare! I'll give the Openreach modem a go and let you know how I get on.

machare

@Fruitbat56

You would need a mesh system that can establish a PPPoE connection.

SteveReeve

Thanks Jonny, I've now switched to an Archer VR600 and it's so much better, mad how Vodafone can act as if their stock router is future proof when it can't even share a connection properly.

Smokey01

You don’t say, but it could just be common sense I suppose, but do you go in to the 3rd party router via its own IP address

Vermem

Hi Jonny / All,

I have followed the same steps to setup my ASUS DSL AC68u (firmware upgraded) but after making an initial connection the Modem/Router seems to move to disconnected status. I’ve tried a hard reset and started from scratch but coming back to the same issue. It seems like the modem/router is trying to register with the ISP but can’t for some reason. I’m a bit stuck as VF suggest to contact ASUS but ASUS suggest its the ISP i.e. VF. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how to approach? Getting a bit fed up, might go back to my previous provider.

Thanks