Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

Problem was that whoever copy and pasted my ppoe username forgot a 'd' in 'dsl' 

got everything working in the end sort of.

Tried using an unlocked bt router from ebay but for some reason although the router is rock solid in terms of drop outs, I have very strange wifi/wired speed perfomance.  I live right next to the street cab so with the VF I had 74/75mbs down 19 up just poor signal around the house, with the BT router I'm getting  no more than 63 and it's flucuating allt the time, there is no DLM in place I don't belive as it's been solid for 7 days and it still says i'm connected at 74mbs so no idea whats causing the terrible performance with the unlocked bt hh5a.  Maybe just a dodgy one.

Thanks for this thread

I have strange wifi issues for which I am currently blaming the VF router (see https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Broadband-Router-problems/td-p/2580592)

It would be good to be able to test wih the Draytek 2830n I was using before

'll ask VF for my login details when I get a moment and see what happens

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @philguk

I've previously private messaged you on how you can contact our team directly.

Did you email us?

Thanks

@DaneB

ive only just seen your reply, and I don’t seem to have a PM from you?

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@philguk I've popped you over another private message with details on how to get in touch. Let us know if you receive it 👍

Hi there,

I have a  Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless router. Would this be compatible with Vodafone Broadband?  I also have an openreach modem that was previously connected to BT Internet, would I still be able to use this along with the router, or would i need a new modem.

Many thanks for your help

machare
13: Advanced Member

@fuzz28 wrote:

I have a  Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless router. Would this be compatible with Vodafone Broadband?  I also have an openreach modem that was previously connected to BT Internet, would I still be able to use this along with the router, or would i need a new modem.

That routern does not appear to support VDSL2 so it can not connect to a Vodafone FTTC phone line. It should work with an HG612 which would probably need to be unlocked.

@machare wrote:

@fuzz28 wrote:

That routern does not appear to support VDSL2 so it can not connect to a Vodafone FTTC phone line. It should work with an HG612 which would probably need to be unlocked.

That's not necessarily true. The BT modem should just connect without being unlocked. If the router has settings to set VLAN to 101 then you should get a connection. As you've already got these it's worth a try.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@fuzz28 To check if these routers are part of our approved list, contact our Broadband Live Chat team and we'll be happy to check them and advise on the next steps required to get one connected 😊

Many thanks for the reply,  I have set vlan to 101,  used the correct username (with @broadband.vodofone.cuk) password, unlocked the huewei  hg612 etc, but not having any luck connecting. I was wondering if anyone has any further suggestions, or will i probably have to buy another router? One thing ive noticed is as soon as I set vlan to 101, on the connection status it doesn't recognise any form of connection at all.  Before I set the vlan to 101, it does detect dns. addresses