cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help setting up TP-Link what have I done wrong?

DAVEBETTZ
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Finally bought a new router TP-Link c1200 wireless Router,as the connection on my vodafone router kept dropping & the speed was terrible.

Managed to get my username and password but I can't get the router to connect.

It's been a while since I had to type in my details to access the internet.Have i bought the correct router? 

I've clicked network on the router and entered the following

I've seen people mention I need to change the vlan to 101 and tick 802.1q.

I can't find the vlan settings my router had IPTV is that the right area? And when I click custom mode then select internet Vlad Id I've set it to 101 but it then asks me to set the other 2 options any help?

fxtsmtidzwno

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've just noticed in the corner of one of your photos the router is an Archer C50

The user manual for the C50 quite clearly says - WAN Port For connecting to a DSL/Cable modem, or an Ethernet port

Sorry to say the router you have needs to be connected to either a DSL modem or Cable/Fibre modem it will not work connecting directly to your incoming telephone line / micro filter

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

rosco3045
4: Newbie

Have you set the connection type to Pppoe?

Yep.

I can't auto detect the settings as I'm getting the wan port is unplugged and it says that in the status menu.

But the wan port works fine if I plug the Vodafone router in via ethernet

14c403d2n1gpl4

I dont know if its just me but I cant see your screenshots?

Updated the pics let me know if you can see them now

Can't see any pictures Dave

Success, they can be read now, will see if I can work out what you need to do

Struggling, can you confirm model number as I can only find C1200 Archer which seems to have 3 wifi aerials ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I has a TP-Link W9980. I had a install disc with mine. Took 2 mins to set up.

WAN settings,  Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101

Thats all I did.

Speeds still Carp because VF capped my line.

I got no disc with the router.

I've tried changing the vlan but I have to change the 2 below and I'm not sure what they need to be.

Its a wireless router so will this work with my phone line and ethernet? Or do I need one with a connection for the phone line as they all look like ethernet connections? If that makes sense??