Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Having EXACTLY the same problems, it’ll be fine for a random amount of time then within an hour or so at various times of the day (usually multiple) the FEC will climb at over 300,000 per minute. In half hour (when I’ve been lucky to catch it before he catastrophic fail)  I’ve observed the CRC go from 50 to 200 in 30 mins. 

Ive fine a packet capture and the cause is a malformed packet between the router and VDSL equipment. I KNOW this because it happens on the WAN side and goes from my MAC to one I don’t know. That could only happen on an unrouted link. 

The router must be miscalculating the FEC and CRC, which is why the downstream is fine and he upload occasionally turns to garbage. Any modifying of the WiFi settings etc is shooting in the dark at hoping it’ll not cause a daemon elsewhere in the router to malfunction. Ove has over 10 open reach engineers, the last three were amazingly thorough, stating the AC balance on my line should be able to support about 70Meg, but the routers instability causes the CRC to go up, making DLM think it’s a dodgy line, which subsequently reduces the speed. Either DLM needs to be switched off (which I’m reassuringly confident can be done.. but never will by he upper engineer levels) or VF need to stop saying “I’ve sent you a private message, let’s sort this out on the quiet” and actually go back to the modem software engineers and sort the error calculations out. The hub is not a piece of rubbish, it’s very good actually, but there’s a software issue that needs sorting and he right person at VF needs to actually listen and get something done about it. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dandymon As we'll need you to provide some personal information so we can look into this for you, please contact us by following the directions in the private message I've sent you.

Despite 13 months of the problem not being fixed and umpteen engineer callouts (no exaggeration), I leave one message in a public forum detailing the cause of the issue, and my routers been stable for the last week! The longest it has ever been online.

The CRC count on the upload managed a grand total of 6 in 5 days. The download CRC went up to about 1500. Openreach says anywhere up to 50 an hour wouldn’t be a problem, so I averaged about 12CRC errors an hour download (which is bloody good and what the cabinet should be doing) and an upload of 0.05CRC per hour, which is about 1/200th of the downloaded data, again which all checks out with my typical web usage. 

All in all, now proving that my router is  calculating the error correctly. Notably the firmware number has also increased which makes me think the message got through. 

Thanks VF, we got there in the end!

P.S the moderator who sent me a message just after mine gave me an email to the firmware tech team, just in case people are wondering what sort of private messages are sent. CHeers moderator Mark

I'm seeing a huge number of FEC errors on the upload so seems to be a similar issue and may explain why I'm on interleaved path.

@mark are you able to investigate this too?

Hi

Just a follow up from my earlier post.

The Tech team told me that the Vodafone router was the confirmed problem for HIGH up errors. This was a known problem.

I was given my username and password by Vodafone and now use a Netgear Nighthawk.

My line speed has increased from 55MB to 71MB with no drops or errors for the last few months.

I hope this helps

I am having the same problem with regards to FEC error count it's going up by the millions. Should be getting a line speed of guaranteed 73 but haven't seen it go over 36, somehow connected perhaps? As I'm not tech savvy I just get fobbed off by online chat, trying to get me to change channels etc that makes no difference, can't see how that would make an actual difference to the line speed! 

Not it that I should have to but thinking perhaps I should try a different router? 

If it's the router at fault here (and all symptoms point to that being the case), then it's likely that changing to a different manufacturer would help with this.  However, as I don't know the specifics of your line, that's an educated guess!

Worth pointing out that you’ve probably been profiled by DLM down to a low speed, which might take either a very long time, or might never reach full speed again unless a DLM reset is done. 

VF can’t do this, only an openreach engineer can do it, and they don’t come out just to perform a DLM reset. If your line is showing fault however and is not meeting the minimum guaranteed speed, then VF don’t have to pay openreach and they will arrange an engineer to come out. 

Hello

Same problem for me.

I joined vodafone on 21/12/17 with a guaranteed minimum of 32Mb. Connected at 40/10 but over the week this reduced to 27.5/9 so I called support and an engineer came out to reset the line back to 40/10.

Same thing happened again, started at 40/10 then back to 27.5/9 over 10 days or so.

Another engineer came out and noticed the SNR margin was 9 instead of the usual 6 so he got someone to put it back to 6 and we connected at 40/10 again.

Today I checked the DSL Status page for the 1st time and noticed that the upstream FEC corrections is sitting at 250 MILLION and increasing at a rate of 40,000 every second or so! Upstream CRC errors are at 30,000, increasing by 10 or so every few seconds.

So this is obviously why DLM is kicking in and reducing my connection/download speeds.

What can be done to six this? Can anyone help? Is it simply a faulty router ... if vodafone send me a new one, will it fox this.

I was previously with BT on their 55 connection enjoying download speeds of 49Mb, I really regret moving to vodafone now as I assumed I'd get around 36-38Mb on their 38Mb connection. I certainly hadn't anticipated faulty hardware.

Please help.

Thanks

Same is happening to me at least you have managed to get an engineer out. Within 1 minute of router reconnecting ( WAN keeps disconnecting by itself) there was 400,000 FEC corrections!!  Supposed to be getting a guaranteed line speed of 73 and only getting 35, it's getting beyond a joke.