Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

My guaranteed is supposed to be 73 and now they are back tracking saying it was an error and now my minimum guaranteed is 41, currently sync speed is 38, dropped down from 50 last night!  I think it’s got to be something with router as apparently no problem with line, open reach came out fitted a new filtered faceplate, reset line and I was getting 58 on fast path and bam within a day interleaving back, speed drop and router disconnecting from WAN, it’s actually getting worse as the days go on.....but nope apparently I have two many devices connected, the grand total of five and hardly at anyone time 😂😩

Oh forgot to add when chatting to support I mentioned about interleaving path as opposed to fast path and his answer was ‘that is Open Reach talk ....let’s see what devices you have connected via WiFi. I will talk you through logging into the router page’

##~## I know how to access the router management, probably logging in 50 times a day! How else would I be giving the statistics!!

Interesting this topic, should we ask the question - Upstream FEC errors, how / where are these measured / recorded

Now as we have all seen our VF routers are recording large numbers of Upstream FEC's but where have the errors been 'seen', have these errors been detected at the exchange (or fibre cabinet) equipment and then a packet is sent back to our router which then clocks up the FEC's figure, or are these errors actually our router correcting incoming packets and recording that locally. Logic says the former but it's been suggested it may be line noise then surely the faster we transmit data the more errors would be generated so I would expect the Downstream FEC's to be more than the Upstream FEC's

So what equipment is owned by who, we know that most local lines were installed by BT (or their contractors), as far as I can assertain the Fibre Cabinets equipment and the fibre from Exchange to Cabinets is BT (I'm ignoring Virgin & other fibre to premises networks) 

Now more interestingly Huawei & ZTE are (or were) the suppliers of the Fibre equipment to BT and VF routers are Huawei, I wonder if this has anything to do with the issues

Perhaps we should start a post (so we can keep for reference) with a list of routers which are successfully working on the VF fibre service - BTW please post exact model - I'm happy to copy / paste info into a holdng post.

Sounds like a plan. It's a real issue and it's being ignored, contacting vodafone support is hopeless. I'm wondering if I just record it all, send it in a letter to Vodafone I can then just leave my contract early if it's not then promptly dealt with. That seems to be what my contract says?....

More mysterious happenings - Possibly seen & posted by Frugal

So this morning Upstream FEC's 68551001 CRC's 753, but yeterday FEC's were in the billions, PPP uptime has continued to clock so no dropouts or resets. Been through the event log and no surprises.

Anyone know if there's a max to the counters so that they reset to zero (I say reset because if the router just had a counter max even though the FEC's might clock over the top, the CRC's would carry on increasing as I doubt that maxed out).

Report for this morning, no resets or 'over the top' counter, no speed changes, will keep an eye on it. Only interesting log entries are overnight something caused the WLAN to disable 4 times for 3 or 4 secs each time.

PPP uptime 3days 1min

Downstream FEC's 2119, CRC's 247

Upstream FEC's 3241405577, CRC's 936

Ok so weirdly no drop outs for last 17 hours, however very odd system entries on log. Current speed download 38 and upload nearly at 6 which is not my guaranteed but seems stable. FEC corrections climbing 50 per 20 seconds or so........

Just updated router firmware and now router keeps disconnecting from WAN, pp has now so far been up for 5 minutes and i’ve hit 8 million FEC corrections on upload and unusually millions of FEC corrections on download which is very odd!

Teenager currently kicking off because of the drop outs 😔

Result after 15 minutes...let’s see how long until the next drop out

Got a V21 modem I could lend you 300Bps if that would keep youe teenager happy :Cry_Laughing:

Well it stayed connected for 30 mins, back on and over 4 millions corrections within a minute.

Edit - it’s gone off again arghhh