Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Well it stayed connected for 30 mins, back on and over 4 millions corrections within a minute.

Edit - it’s gone off again arghhh

and again, seriously fed up. Dusting off the board games again as no tv again tonight.

I'm running 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.29, only issue seems to be loads of Upstream FEC's, no dropouts, so what have you upgraded to

That’s the version I now have.

if I reset to factory settings will I get the previous version? I can’t take anymore of my son thumping on the floor.

Hi, Sorry out last night & had to do some gardening while the sun shines this morning.

You'd need an expert to answer your question definitively, but I can't find any obvious option to revert, firmware is normally written to the chip and the previous version discarded so you need an option to revert (which I can't see).

Not sure your issue is firmware, try, unplug everything, turn off wifi, attach your PC by an ethernet cable & plug router in to master socket (if you use a micro filter remove front plugin plate first and connect to socket behind), see how you get on.

Morning! Well I managed to get through to support that evening and it’s confirmed something isn’t right and a fault ticket has been raised...just waiting for them to contact me at some point. Router hasn’t stayed connected to WAN for more than two minutes at a time now since router  firmware upgrade. 😖

And it gets worse we now have no connection at all since 8.22 - support can’t run any checks because of the open ticket. 

Well if they accept there's a fault at least you'll get something done - My PPP continues to stay connected, 6+ days now, Upstream FEC's still clocking around 125,000 every 3 seconds, haven't been able to catch the counter reset yet, it's over 3 billion but not sure if it goes back to zero at 4 or 5 billion or higher, will catch it one day. No strange entries in the event log since I commented a few days ago so that seems to have settled. Keep us all updated once you're back online, will be interested to hear if you're suffering the FEC issue once the main problem is sorted.

Well, I honestly don't know why we put up with a service that fails to meet the minimum guaranteed service.

After 3 engineers looking into the problem and a replacement router, the issue still persists and it does not look like VF have a clue how to fix it. Having said that, they do try their best, it's just that they haven't a clue what is wrong and how to go about fixing it.

So, after 2 months of VF, it is time to go back to BT and I placed my oder with BT yesterday. I'm not prepared to put up with the shoddy VF broadband. As they've failed to meet my minimum guaranteed speed, I am free to leave without penalty, thank goodness.

If you find the right affiliate link, you can currently get unlimited BT 52Mb broadband (& weekend calls and caller display) for around £17.50/month over an 18 month contract. So cheaper than VF and much, much better imho.

Just hope that when I connect with BT again I can get the same 47Mb I had just before I left them in December.

Vote with your feet folks, it's the only way VF service will improve - if you are getting a lower speed than your guaranteed minimum, just jump ship to a more reliable service provider. You can really do without all this hassle!

Little update - I switched router off from the mains for 10 minutes and hey presto it’s up and running again...maybe a coincidence. FEC errors not too bad at all considering what they were!  Been up for an 1 and 40 minutes so far.