Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Oooh after further investigation apparently a copper wire fault has been indentified, open reach booked in for Tuesday morning. Getting somewhere at last! 

How'd you get that found? 

Technical team phoned me after I complained that my connection had completely stopped. It went back off again this adtrnoon after I bragged earlier that is was back up running - typical.

So Open reach has been, he can not find any line errors either at premises or cabinet. He used his machine thingy ( haha) as a router and again no errors, he’s adamant it’s the router at fault. He’s just reset the DLM for me now been up and running for 5 minutes. Let’s see how long it takes to switch back to interleaved hey! Now just got to wait for Tech2 to contact me regarding his report he sends over and see what they say about a replacement router. 

And yep router after 2 hours has already disconnected from WAN...I give up!

Keep positive, get on the phone to Tech Support and tell em you want it sorted / a new router, if they despatch a new router this afternoon you should have it tomorrow.

Couple of thoughts, under Expert Mode, Settings, Configuration there are 2 options, first a soft reset & then a Factory Restore, think I'd try both of those whilst waiting for the new router

News on the FEC counter resetting, again I missed the exact number when it rest but it was in excess of 4200000000 and it hasn't reset the other numbers so it's definitely a rollover counter.

Although no help to you please keep us updated as it may assist someone else.

That’s quite interesting because I saw my FEC uploads figure on around the same number as yours but this was over a 12 ish hour count but when mine reset it reset everything, even the log entries. My log starts from the last few hours and then skips everything to the 14th Feb.

Will let you know how I get on with tech support.

Think you've reset all counters because either the link has dropped or the router has been reset (not 100% on whether just the link dropping also resets the log)

My router has now been up for about 11 days & PPP up for almost 9 days & only when the FEC counter hits max does it rollover leaving all other counters as they were

Ahh yeah I get it now, mine is dropping link all the time lol that’s why it resets! Duh sorry

So has anyone actually had a reasonable answer to this FECing issue.

I am new to Vfe, approaching 3 weeks, and the first 2 weeks were fine but I have over the last 7 days seen issues.

1) Upload speed has dropped to 800k, from 20m

2) SNR has gone up considerably

3) Link type has changed from Fastpath to Interleaved

4) FEC and CRC are both high

5) BTW my DL speed is below my guarenteed 73m, but still 66m so bareable, however its still struggling to stream HD, so expect that whilst headline speed is good Packet Loss is an issue.

Is it the router or the line likely to cause these issues, or could it be either?

No calls raised to tech support yet as trying to work out if Im wasting my time with them based on various previous reports.