Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

😂 I won’t lie I just googled that! I think I may just be ok sleeping....I wouldn’t want to be telling support how to fix the issue 🙈😉

Hmmm - so last disconnect was 6 hours ago according to log....and it seems to be stable with the lowered upload speed set at 5. Download speed has dropped below guaranteed speed again. Perhaps my line just becomes unstable with the higher speeds?  

The FEC corrections have dramatically lowered and no CRC errors.

Good morning - Take care SNR & SNR Margin are another litany of words you'd rather not want to read, I'm glad you have some stability.

My understanding, which may be corrected by someone with a greater knowledge then I, is that FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) is at High Speed and then a DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) via the DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) to the VDSL2 (Very high-speed Digital Subscriber Line) modem/router is how the link is provided and the link speed of this depends on 2 main criteria. 1: the service you're paying for & 2: the line attenuation & noise.

So logic says provided you're the only person on the cabinet with the problem you have 4 main variables :- 1, The DSLAM, 2: The line serving your property, 3: Your property, 4: The Modem/router.

You mentioned previously you've had BT (OR) out & they say the line is clear (did they also test the DSLAM ie do a test which proved the connection through the DSLAM and all the way to the local exchange), the modem/router has been changed, so that leaves any internal wiring/influences - where is you master socket, have you connected to it & are you sure all internal wiring is disconnected, are you sure you've not got any local sources of interference, more controversial (because router side should not affect modem side) - turn off the wifi (Wifi, General, Wifi Network slide to off) and connect a laptop (running on battery only) to the ethernet ports and if you've still got issues are you techie enough to connect a 12 volt battery supply to the router rather than the mains. Is this your first time you've had a Fibre service ? Btw for safety please remember do not attempt anything outside of your comfort zone.

Hmm I don’t think I am techie enough to try the 12v battery....

Open reach engineer whilst was here checked some wires in a grey box outside our property, he also went back to the green cabinet just up the road. He also checked the plug socket that router was plugged into as it’s next to the master socket.  When he previously came he changed the faceplate for us to an MK4 and disconnected the extension wiring..we don’t actually use a home phone at all. He then proceeded to tell me he was checking for something called ‘Rein’ and again that came back clear which led to him suspecting router, however obviously we are still getting problems with the disconnections. He did say though that he wasn’t a broadband engineer........

So we managed 14 hours without it disconnecting! PP been up and running 20 mins now but FEC corrections back into the millions, both download and upload speed dropped slightly.

Ah, REIN & SHINE, I like this article on those 2 terms, it's in English  https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Understanding-REIN-and-SHINE , so the suggestion is that he's checked for impulse noise being picked up by the cabling, There's also an interesting test with a radio you could try.

Are VF Tech Support still investigating the problem, if not report it again.

Thank you, i’ll have a read. I’ve been assigned someone called Andy from the directors office, he’s not back in until Monday but left me a voicemail on Friday evening to say he would give me a call Monday and hopefully I will update him with positive news. Poor man 😂

and there we go its gone off again 👏🏻

Update on FEC counters

Looks like the max number before it clocks over the top (so back to zero) is 4,299,999,999 can't be 100% certain as I've been clocking errors in blocks of around 130,000 but it was just below that & then couple of seconds later was approx 50,000 and again clocking 130,000 every 3 seconds. All other counters have not altered when the Upstream FEC counter went over the top.

I'm guessing the counter rolls over at 2^32 = 4,294,967,296, not that its important.

What is important is not to puit up with a shoddy service - if they can't fix it, vote with your feet... and go elsewhere until such time as VF can provide the service they advertise and ask us to pay for ...

13 hours without a disconnection now but just look at those errors!