Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Well if the line stays up at least your son will stop giving you grief :Laughing_Face:

So my PPP has now been up for 13days 4hrs and errors Downstream FEC 3222 CRC 459, Upstream FEC 3.5 billion+ & CRC 4016. There's loads of posts across different forums which say the VF router is the problem but so far I've not managed to find a single statement from VF saying they may have an issue or even they are discussing with the suppplier the reports of problems.

@frugal thought there would be a logical reason for the counter topping out, fortunately after my initial issues with getting connected my link seems stable but clocking loads of Upstream errors, unfortunately I don't have a spare VDSL router to prove it's the VF router and have no intentions of spending my pension to cure an issue which people are  saying it's a VF router problem. I think i've now give the service sufficient time to stabilise (if it was going to) so I will be contacting VF for a solution.

Hahaha absolutely! Least he’s stopped thumping on the floor.

i managed to catch the FEC corrections at 4.2 billion and yep once it hit that magic number it rolled back to zero and none of the other counters changed - pp up 14 hours & 25 minutes when it rolled over and hurrah it didn’t disconnect!  FEC up load corrections are between 3-500000 every few seconds. Just quite concerning the number of other errors in the space of 14 hours. Wish I had a spare router to try too!

Was too good to be true, 3 disconnections in the past half an hour, upload speed dropped down to 4 😣

Sorry to hear that, been reading up on SNR Margin and interference, also testing with an AM radio, can't believe the amount of noise in my study where the router is, even my laptop generates noise, unfortunately the master is buried so will have to unearth & turn off all the power in my study to see if that changes anything,  Will update asap.

Thought i’d give you an update.....

Well actually thought I would give you a few days off from my moaning 😉

Connection is stable at 35 download and under 6 upload 😣 We had an awful day on Thursday of disconnections but I believe this was tech 2 trying to adjust things because sync speed for download and upload was changing every minute ( and the disconnections) at one point we were up to 50mbps download and 15 upload but disconnections became a nightmare. By the afternoon we were back down to 35/6 and low and behold I get call to say there is a line error and Open Reach will come out Monday 🤦🏼‍♀️....they said there was a line error last time and Open Reach said there wasn’t, oh we’ll see what Monday brings! 

How is did you get on with your interference results?

So still going around in circles are you - I worked on local lines in the 1960's and had test equipment then that could identify the exact problem (although no broadband to contend with we did have other carrier, out of voice band, equipment) - would be interesting to ask exactly what the fault is they've identified ............

Well I've been a little preoccupied so not taken my study apart to get to the master socket so will have to update more another day - I have breeze block walls so Wifi is always a bit iffy so have a spare router configured as a bridge in my lounge, this also allows Devolo Cockpit (powerline adaptors) software to work correctly (if you run via the VF router the adaptors aren't visible) - however whilst I was looking at the FEC problem I decided I could remove one cable by putting a switch to connect things in the study, I used another old router configured to bridge mode which when I accessed also allowed the Devolo software to connect to the powerline adaptors correctly, thus confirming there is definitely a config / firmware issue with the VF router (Homeplug AV protocol), however the FEC's did not diminish at all with these local network changes

Further info as & when I get to the master socket

Finished reorganising my local network Saturday then had a power failure yesterday morning, although I still have FEC errors clocking since the restart the router has only been clocking 100 ish a second rather than 40 -50000, now I don't know if it was the power dropping or something else changed out on the network, will update further in a few days.

Open reach guy has just left after 3 hours...we have a resolution and not one i’m happy about. My line has now been capped at 25 down and 5 up, There apparently is nothing wrong with line but something to do with distance, we are 700m from cabinet apparently. Going from cabinet is 80 but it drops the further along it goes.

So yep now my line is capped I have no errors...not sure how I feel about it to be honest.  Evening streaming is not going to be fun.

I have a 14mbps download and we stream two now tv and 2 xboxes at the same time without a single issue plus kids tablets so shouldnt think you would have an issue with 25?