Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Forgot to add that 3 other people up the road approached him at the cabinet to say they had problems with their broadband disconnecting 😂😂🙄

Assuming they're all not on Vodafone broadband, then it does look like there's general issues in your area.  If this is the case, then it's only Openreach that can investigate and fix this.

I have been experiencing problems with my home media server allowing remote access (Plex) for a couple of weeks now.

Running "speedtest" by Ookla, it tells me my upload speeds are around 3MB/s, downloads 28MB/s (by the way, I was getting uploads of over 6 MB/s until mid-February).

Checking some of my DSL stats, I too find a very large number of upstream FEC corrections (see attached screenshot).

Can someone from Vodafone please suggest who I can contact to get this issue investigated? Calling the usual support line is absolutely useless as the people on the other end have no idea what they are talking about :Sad_face:

Welcome to the club. You will now be banging your head against the wall. The vodafone tech support on the phone don't know where to find the FEC display error counter never mind what could be causing it.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

It's disappointing to hear that you're having problems @fscibetta. We'll be more than happy to escalate your query to our Broadband team for further investigation - so we can do this I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Please continue to keep us updated and let us know what the team advise once they've been in touch.

Well after my link reset & the errors dropped drastically I promised I would keep this thread updated - Well to my surprise the error rate has averaged about 80 a second, yes there are occasional bursts but there are also quiet periods - The only noticeable other change is my Download SNR ratio which has increased from 13.4 to 16.4dB, I'm still using the supplied VF router and there's been no firmware update in the last 6 weeks (currently 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.29), will keep a watch on it for a few more days then if still stable I'll be moving my efforts to getting improved throughput during peak times, hope my posts will/have helped some of you to get improved service.

The last update prompted me to share my latest experience.

After telephone contact with 1st level tech support on Friday, who didn’t seem any the wiser, I was told “2nd level” would contact me within 48 hours.

Earlier today, indeed Zack from 2nd level contacted me. Despite seeming to know quite a bit about comms and infrastructure AND the fact that my FEC Correction reading was in the tens of millions (and increasing by around 50,000 per second whilst I was on the phone to him), he insisted that “at his end” he was seeing no FEC Corrections and the stats reporting on my router was wrong!!!!

He basically told me everything was fine according to his tests and that I should not believe the DSL stats the router is reporting.

I asked him why I should believe his stats over those of my router (which is a standard Vodafone model) and he didn’t give me a satisfactory answer.

I now have my laptop “hardwired” directly into a router port via Ethernet for the next 48 hours so they can monitor. This is despite me trying to convince them it was NOT a local WiFi issue in my house!

Let’s see what happens when they call me back in a couple of days.....

No call back from Zack in 2nd level. Despite agreeing to do so after our 48 hour test with my laptop physically connected via ethernet to the router.

In the meantime I have managed to fix the problem with my Plex media server not allowing external remote access. Whilst examining some of the router statistics I found an unusually long list of varying port assignments the server was trying for external access.

I deleted the entire list of allocated ports. Restarted the router, restarted the laptop and restarted the media server. Everything worked fine, including external access.

Having run in this configuration (tethered via ethernet) for neary 60 hours I have had no problems and seen a realtively low number of CRC and FEC Corrections (30,000 over the three days).

So, this morning I moved my laptop back upstairs, connected via WiFi and all seems well.

However, what continues to annoy the hell out of me is the reducing upload speeds (measured at only 1.1Mbps for the past couple of days and 2.2Mbps today).

I have raised this via a separate form post:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Very-slow-upload-speed/m-p/2591902#M5470

So 1 step forward at least that's positive - My speed issue seems to have settled at the moment and my FEC errors remain at about 70 per second so 6Million in 24 hours, throughput has never been as low as yours so for now I'm just going to monitor. Best of luck with getting your other problems sorted.

I believe I can join your club.. 10 days with vodafone:

Vodafone FECcorrections  Opera Snapshot_2018-03-16_224601_192.168.1.1.png

Been batling with CS about my static IP and about to give up as they are hopeless... 
Read about PTR problems and now upload FEC Corrections....

Broadband seems to disconnect every evening now ..

I gave it benefit of doubt due to 10 days training period..  but probably should just find another ISP..  

btw Line was working perfectly fine for last few years with BT just got annoyed with their price hikes.

Am I fooling myself that Vodafone can provide acceptable service? Or should I just cancel while I can?