Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Cancel while you can mate, I'd love the opportunity! 

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

My apologies for the issues you're experiencing with us @MartinJ. So we can look into this with you and get you a static IP address, please follow the instructions in the private message I've just sent to you.

Thank you DaneB.

I have already sent message reference static IP thru link from TJ last week but still waiting for answer.

Howerver I have just sent another message thru your link reference FEC Corrections,

Also updated printscreen of stats from today below:

vodafone 13 FEF correction upload 2.png

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MartinJ So we can chase this for you, please let us know the case ref (looks like [#11234567]) from the auto response you received after following the link @DaneB provided.

After my brief interaction with "Zack" in 2nd level support on Monday 12th March, and following his instruction to run a 48 hour "tethered" test with my laptop connected via ethernet to my router, no one called me back!

However, yesterday I recieved an email from "Alan" asking what happened with the ethernet test.

This is the reply I emailed back to him yesterday, (which also gives you all an update on my issues):

Alan,

Thanks for your email. I'm a little disappointed that, after agreeing to run a 48 hour "Ethernet cable" test last Monday (12th March) with your colleague Zack, it's taken until now for someone to contact me.

Prior to switching my laptop to ethernet connectivity I stumbled across something strange whilst examining all of the data on the Vodafone Connect router. There were pages and pages of different external port allocations for the media server listed. This suggested that something was continuously disconnecting the server and, each time it was reconnecting, it was trying with a different external port number. This may help to explain why remote access was becoming unreliable recently.

I cleared the list, deleted all the port allocations and moved the laptop to an ethernet connection as advised. Everything worked fine for the 48 hours that we had agreed to run the test. Including the server connecting and allowing external remote access.

I therefore decided to move the laptop back upstairs and onto its previous WiFi connection on Wednesday 14th March.

Things worked OK for a few hours, then remote access to the server was lost again.

This time, after examining the configuration I found something very strange that I hadn't noticed before. The WiFi on the laptop said that the allocated IP address was 192.168.1.11, however, both the Vodafone Broadband app and the Vodafone Connect router itself was showing its IP address as 192.168.1.3.

This address was clearly being displayed wrong by the router and, in fact, 192.168.1.3 was normally assigned to my iPhone and was listed twice!

I therefore decided to do a number of things:

1) I forced the media server to always use a fixed port number for remote access and added that manually via "Internet" "Port Management" on the router configuration (I chose port 10865 which was initially assigned by the media server itself, but it could have been anything)

2)  Via "Settings" "IPv4" "Static DHCP" I manually assigned unique IP addresses for each and every one of the devices that connect via the router using their MAC addresses, making a point of excluding the 192.168.1.3 address

3) Also via "Settings" "IPv4" I changed the "DHCP Server" parameters for the Home network so that the address pool start address was 192.168.1.4 (thus avoiding 192.168.1.3 ever being assigned in future)

Despite 3) above, the router and associated app still seem to list my laptop wifi address as 192.168.1.3, however, everything seems to now work and, in the event of a dropped PPP session or WiFi disconnect the laptop successfully reconnects, is assigned the same 192.168.1.11 address (as displayed on the laptop itself) AND the media server is able to enable remote access using port 10865.

As an aside, the number of FEC Corrections being logged on the router is still excessively high, however, I think this may be a problem with the stats collection on the router itself.

This now leaves me with a number of questions:

1) Why should the router KEEP thinking that 192.168.1.3 is the IP address assigned to the laptop WiFi when it obviously isn't? The fact this address had previously belonged to my iPhone may explain the unreliable behaviour of the laptop and its WiFi connection, as my iPhone was constantly connecting/disconnecting from the router as I came and went from my house, possibly causing the media server to continuously lose its remote access and try again with a different port each time.

2) Why doesn't your router correctly display FEC Corrections, if indeed, as was explained to me by your 2nd level, the statistics are incorrect?

3) Why, recently, do you find it necessary to reset the PPP session almost on a daily basis (the exception being weekends)?

I don't know how much of the above you will act upon but, in my opinion you should review the bugs (and possibly supplier) of your router as I think it has a number of deficiencies. I also think your recent emphasis on "guaranteeing" download speeds has led to a general deterioration in the overall quality of your broadband offering, including a massive reduction in upload quality and speeds.

I look forward to hearing back from you with your thoughts on what I have described.

Thank you @Mark

FEC Corrections ticket: WRT165 [#18297981] -no reply yet

Static IP ticket : EFT195 [#18282782]  - I got reply asking to confirm detilas for security to which I did immidietely.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MartinJ I can see we've received you latest email to case [#18282782].  One of uor team wil be in touch as soon as we reach your email 😊

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@fscibetta I'm disappointed to hear you're having difficulty connecting to our interent service. So we can you further, please contact us by following the instructions in this private message.

One more update regarding my earlier problems.

So far, since switching to Static DHCP and a fixed outbound port for my media server everything has continued to work fine.

Also, since mid afternoon on the 21st March my upload speed has been regularly measured between 6 and 6.3 Mbps. The Vodafone Connect router shows it as 6.3Mbps.

Now, I don't know whether this is some random conincidence or whether someone has taken note of my frustration and rant in earlier posts and decided to do something about it.

So far there has been no response or acknowledgment from Vodafone support as to why the speed is back to what it was mid February.

Anyway, whoever "fixed" things, THANK YOU!

If things continue as they are now this will be my last post on the matter. If not, you will be the first to hear about it!

My experiences:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Shambolic-speeds-0-5mbit-s-to-8mbit-s-on-74mbit...

Those asking if you should leave? Yes, would be the answer I would give unequivocally. BT is miles ahead.

Those of you outside of the cooling off period, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get yours cancelled. Write to the Vodafone exec and make them aware of your plight and their lack of doing, state you'll be speaking to Ofcom if you aren't shown the door, free of charge.

https://ceoemail.com/index.php?s=V