main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

4: Newbie

Forgot to add that 3 other people up the road approached him at the cabinet to say they had problems with their broadband disconnecting 😂😂🙄

View more options
10: Established

Assuming they're all not on Vodafone broadband, then it does look like there's general issues in your area.  If this is the case, then it's only Openreach that can investigate and fix this.

View more options
3: Seeker

I have been experiencing problems with my home media server allowing remote access (Plex) for a couple of weeks now.

Running "speedtest" by Ookla, it tells me my upload speeds are around 3MB/s, downloads 28MB/s (by the way, I was getting uploads of over 6 MB/s until mid-February).

Checking some of my DSL stats, I too find a very large number of upstream FEC corrections (see attached screenshot).

Can someone from Vodafone please suggest who I can contact to get this issue investigated? Calling the usual support line is absolutely useless as the people on the other end have no idea what they are talking about

View more options

Attachments

2: Seeker

Welcome to the club. You will now be banging your head against the wall. The vodafone tech support on the phone don't know where to find the FEC display error counter never mind what could be causing it.

View more options

It's disappointing to hear that you're having problems @fscibetta. We'll be more than happy to escalate your query to our Broadband team for further investigation - so we can do this I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Please continue to keep us updated and let us know what the team advise once they've been in touch.

View more options
5: Helper

Well after my link reset & the errors dropped drastically I promised I would keep this thread updated - Well to my surprise the error rate has averaged about 80 a second, yes there are occasional bursts but there are also quiet periods - The only noticeable other change is my Download SNR ratio which has increased from 13.4 to 16.4dB, I'm still using the supplied VF router and there's been no firmware update in the last 6 weeks (currently 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.29), will keep a watch on it for a few more days then if still stable I'll be moving my efforts to getting improved throughput during peak times, hope my posts will/have helped some of you to get improved service.

View more options

The last update prompted me to share my latest experience.

After telephone contact with 1st level tech support on Friday, who didn’t seem any the wiser, I was told “2nd level” would contact me within 48 hours.

Earlier today, indeed Zack from 2nd level contacted me. Despite seeming to know quite a bit about comms and infrastructure AND the fact that my FEC Correction reading was in the tens of millions (and increasing by around 50,000 per second whilst I was on the phone to him), he insisted that “at his end” he was seeing no FEC Corrections and the stats reporting on my router was wrong!!!!

He basically told me everything was fine according to his tests and that I should not believe the DSL stats the router is reporting.

I asked him why I should believe his stats over those of my router (which is a standard Vodafone model) and he didn’t give me a satisfactory answer.

I now have my laptop “hardwired” directly into a router port via Ethernet for the next 48 hours so they can monitor. This is despite me trying to convince them it was NOT a local WiFi issue in my house!

Let’s see what happens when they call me back in a couple of days.....

View more options

No call back from Zack in 2nd level. Despite agreeing to do so after our 48 hour test with my laptop physically connected via ethernet to the router.

In the meantime I have managed to fix the problem with my Plex media server not allowing external remote access. Whilst examining some of the router statistics I found an unusually long list of varying port assignments the server was trying for external access.

I deleted the entire list of allocated ports. Restarted the router, restarted the laptop and restarted the media server. Everything worked fine, including external access.

Having run in this configuration (tethered via ethernet) for neary 60 hours I have had no problems and seen a realtively low number of CRC and FEC Corrections (30,000 over the three days).

So, this morning I moved my laptop back upstairs, connected via WiFi and all seems well.

However, what continues to annoy the hell out of me is the reducing upload speeds (measured at only 1.1Mbps for the past couple of days and 2.2Mbps today).

I have raised this via a separate form post:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Very-slow-upload-speed/m-p/2591902#M5470

View more options
5: Helper

So 1 step forward at least that's positive - My speed issue seems to have settled at the moment and my FEC errors remain at about 70 per second so 6Million in 24 hours, throughput has never been as low as yours so for now I'm just going to monitor. Best of luck with getting your other problems sorted.

View more options

I believe I can join your club.. 10 days with vodafone:

Vodafone FECcorrections  Opera Snapshot_2018-03-16_224601_192.168.1.1.png

Been batling with CS about my static IP and about to give up as they are hopeless... 
Read about PTR problems and now upload FEC Corrections....

Broadband seems to disconnect every evening now ..

I gave it benefit of doubt due to 10 days training period..  but probably should just find another ISP..  

btw Line was working perfectly fine for last few years with BT just got annoyed with their price hikes.

Am I fooling myself that Vodafone can provide acceptable service? Or should I just cancel while I can?   

View more options
2: Seeker

Cancel while you can mate, I'd love the opportunity! 

View more options

My apologies for the issues you're experiencing with us @MartinJ. So we can look into this with you and get you a static IP address, please follow the instructions in the private message I've just sent to you.

View more options

Thank you DaneB.

I have already sent message reference static IP thru link from TJ last week but still waiting for answer.

Howerver I have just sent another message thru your link reference FEC Corrections,

Also updated printscreen of stats from today below:

vodafone 13 FEF correction upload 2.png

View more options

@MartinJ So we can chase this for you, please let us know the case ref (looks like [#11234567]) from the auto response you received after following the link @DaneB provided.

View more options

After my brief interaction with "Zack" in 2nd level support on Monday 12th March, and following his instruction to run a 48 hour "tethered" test with my laptop connected via ethernet to my router, no one called me back!

However, yesterday I recieved an email from "Alan" asking what happened with the ethernet test.

This is the reply I emailed back to him yesterday, (which also gives you all an update on my issues):

Alan,

Thanks for your email. I'm a little disappointed that, after agreeing to run a 48 hour "Ethernet cable" test last Monday (12th March) with your colleague Zack, it's taken until now for someone to contact me.

Prior to switching my laptop to ethernet connectivity I stumbled across something strange whilst examining all of the data on the Vodafone Connect router. There were pages and pages of different external port allocations for the media server listed. This suggested that something was continuously disconnecting the server and, each time it was reconnecting, it was trying with a different external port number. This may help to explain why remote access was becoming unreliable recently.

I cleared the list, deleted all the port allocations and moved the laptop to an ethernet connection as advised. Everything worked fine for the 48 hours that we had agreed to run the test. Including the server connecting and allowing external remote access.

I therefore decided to move the laptop back upstairs and onto its previous WiFi connection on Wednesday 14th March.

Things worked OK for a few hours, then remote access to the server was lost again.

This time, after examining the configuration I found something very strange that I hadn't noticed before. The WiFi on the laptop said that the allocated IP address was 192.168.1.11, however, both the Vodafone Broadband app and the Vodafone Connect router itself was showing its IP address as 192.168.1.3.

This address was clearly being displayed wrong by the router and, in fact, 192.168.1.3 was normally assigned to my iPhone and was listed twice!

I therefore decided to do a number of things:

1) I forced the media server to always use a fixed port number for remote access and added that manually via "Internet" "Port Management" on the router configuration (I chose port 10865 which was initially assigned by the media server itself, but it could have been anything)

2)  Via "Settings" "IPv4" "Static DHCP" I manually assigned unique IP addresses for each and every one of the devices that connect via the router using their MAC addresses, making a point of excluding the 192.168.1.3 address

3) Also via "Settings" "IPv4" I changed the "DHCP Server" parameters for the Home network so that the address pool start address was 192.168.1.4 (thus avoiding 192.168.1.3 ever being assigned in future)

Despite 3) above, the router and associated app still seem to list my laptop wifi address as 192.168.1.3, however, everything seems to now work and, in the event of a dropped PPP session or WiFi disconnect the laptop successfully reconnects, is assigned the same 192.168.1.11 address (as displayed on the laptop itself) AND the media server is able to enable remote access using port 10865.

As an aside, the number of FEC Corrections being logged on the router is still excessively high, however, I think this may be a problem with the stats collection on the router itself.

This now leaves me with a number of questions:

1) Why should the router KEEP thinking that 192.168.1.3 is the IP address assigned to the laptop WiFi when it obviously isn't? The fact this address had previously belonged to my iPhone may explain the unreliable behaviour of the laptop and its WiFi connection, as my iPhone was constantly connecting/disconnecting from the router as I came and went from my house, possibly causing the media server to continuously lose its remote access and try again with a different port each time.

2) Why doesn't your router correctly display FEC Corrections, if indeed, as was explained to me by your 2nd level, the statistics are incorrect?

3) Why, recently, do you find it necessary to reset the PPP session almost on a daily basis (the exception being weekends)?

I don't know how much of the above you will act upon but, in my opinion you should review the bugs (and possibly supplier) of your router as I think it has a number of deficiencies. I also think your recent emphasis on "guaranteeing" download speeds has led to a general deterioration in the overall quality of your broadband offering, including a massive reduction in upload quality and speeds.

I look forward to hearing back from you with your thoughts on what I have described.

View more options

Thank you @Mark

FEC Corrections ticket: WRT165 [#18297981] -no reply yet

Static IP ticket : EFT195 [#18282782]  - I got reply asking to confirm detilas for security to which I did immidietely.

View more options

@MartinJ I can see we've received you latest email to case [#18282782].  One of uor team wil be in touch as soon as we reach your email 😊

View more options

@fscibetta I'm disappointed to hear you're having difficulty connecting to our interent service. So we can you further, please contact us by following the instructions in this private message.

View more options

One more update regarding my earlier problems.

So far, since switching to Static DHCP and a fixed outbound port for my media server everything has continued to work fine.

Also, since mid afternoon on the 21st March my upload speed has been regularly measured between 6 and 6.3 Mbps. The Vodafone Connect router shows it as 6.3Mbps.

Now, I don't know whether this is some random conincidence or whether someone has taken note of my frustration and rant in earlier posts and decided to do something about it.

So far there has been no response or acknowledgment from Vodafone support as to why the speed is back to what it was mid February.

Anyway, whoever "fixed" things, THANK YOU!

If things continue as they are now this will be my last post on the matter. If not, you will be the first to hear about it!

View more options
7: Helper

My experiences:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/Shambolic-speeds-0-5mbit-s-to-8mbit-s-on-74mbit...

Those asking if you should leave? Yes, would be the answer I would give unequivocally. BT is miles ahead.

Those of you outside of the cooling off period, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get yours cancelled. Write to the Vodafone exec and make them aware of your plight and their lack of doing, state you'll be speaking to Ofcom if you aren't shown the door, free of charge.

https://ceoemail.com/index.php?s=V

View more options