Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Home Fibre Connection Keeps Dropping Completely & Is Slow Normally

garryberesford
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Had VF broadband installed at the start of Sept. Speed was not great but decided to give it 30 days to 'settle down' as VF kept telling me that line. Now we are 2 months on. So, sometimes it works fine and the household are happy. But sometimes the connection drops completely. Everything starts to load slowly, facebook comments won't load, instagram won't load and the natives in the house get restless and grumpy. Sometimes it lasts 30 secs, sometimes minutes then it works again eventually. More and more I find myself switching off wifi if on my phone and just using 4G for a while. In addition, when I run speed tests. My upload is double the download speed averages. I'm stuck tonight at 9Mbps down and 18Mbps upload. I spoke to Live Chat Helpdesk recently and he told me he switched on a content filter or something and to see how that went. Please advise on the steps I need to take to resolve.
3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

When I’ve experienced similar issues using my Broadband some troubleshooting I’ve tried is to change wireless channels to test as one your on may be congested. 

Also splitting the router frequencies to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and then choose one or the other on your devices as some prefer one over the other. 

Wifi connections are less stable / slower than Ethernet Conndctions. 

Can you try hooking up to a device via Ethernet Conndction to see what that’s like. 

Also on your speed tests what’s the ping stats ? I use the Ookla Speedtest.net option as I find that easy to read and pretty accurate. 

Other options as trying a 3rd party router could be considered if all else fails. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

It happened a few times last night (total dropoff) and I quickly logged into the router and the connection was completely diconnected. It took several minutes to reconnect.

I have a PC connected directly to the router so wifi is not the issue although the majority of the devices are wifi. However networking on wifi even without the internet connection seems fine.

Average ping response is 39 ms. I see it vary between 30 - 69 ms. 

Wonder if I can find another router in the office to test out before buying another.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @garryberesford

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.