Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Hopeless Download Speed

Walwal69
2: Seeker

Been with Vodafone for my home phone and (up to) 38 Meg Broadband since around September. Usual blurp applied (speeds might be rubbish at first etc. etc.), but now I'm a few months in, nothing has improved.

When I first signed up I cannot remember the minimum speed to expect when I ran the test on the website but I did it today, and it says 40 meg. Today I ran a couple of speed tests and these were the results

Speed Test 2.jpg

To be fair, I did a test in between them and got about 11 Meg. However, this is nowhere near the promised 40 meg, and it's getting on my nerves now.

Any help appreciated.

Andy.

17 REPLIES 17

Walwal69

Forgot to say, this was on my laptop upstairs using the Wifi. Haven't tried connected to the router with a cable as I never use the laptop like this.

Andy

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello @Walwal69

Connecting via WiFi can and will provide lesser speeds (this is the way I connect all my devices too)

When I was seeing a dip in my alternative providers Home Broadband speeds they either self resolved due to probable congestion, but I also changed wireless channel in the Router to move away from possible congested channels and I also split the frequencies in the router to 2.4ghz and 5ghz and then try choosing the best for device, as some devices prefer one over the other.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Mozambezi
4: Newbie

76 Fibre Unlimited

2 to 4 MBps between 15:00 and 1:00. Same over weekends, bank holidays all day through.

Unreal jitter due not fit for purpose router. On 5.8Ghz WiFi freezes and falls over.

Access Speed 67MBps  fault free.

PC sits on LAN (1GBps). No other devices.

Wolverton (Milton Keynes) Exchange.

Often No IP avaliable, so no internet

I tried tech support - came up All Fine - fob off!!! Your cable is OK.

I tried Complaints at Voodoo Phone - the didn't bother to reply emails.

I tried Resolver - another useless crap -. Sorry, you complained to the top guy and here is nothing what we can do for you... They say Ombudsman - pile of bull.

I'm waiting for new Ofcom rules in 2018 when ISP will have to publish average speed during rush hours. Then switch and never come back.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Walwal69 I'm disappointed to see you're experiencing problems with our Broadband service, please contact our Broadband Live Chat team and they'll take a look into this for you.

Thanks for the replies.

@BandofBrothers I did try something very similar, if not the same as what you suggested prior to me posting up after reading a different thread from someone with similar issues. I found channel 1 gave the best at the time, but it's quickly reverted to the same or worse than it was before. Thanks for the suggestion though.

@Mozambezi I was with Vodafone a few years back on standard Broadband and never had any of the issues I've got now. Been underwhelmed since I returned in September. I'm thinking I probably should have stayed with Plusnet...

@Mark I'll contact the Live Chat Team later today when I have a bit more time. Hopefully they can sort it out, because at the minute, coming back to Vodafone looks like a big mistake if I'm honest.

Thanks,

Andy

You might didn't read my post. I did use Live Chat. It was escalated. And end of story was: Night Time 62Mbps down, no problems. Day time 3 Mbps ##~## service.

No line faults etc.... You have no capacity to provide service but charging for not delivering 

@Mark I clicked on your link to the Broadband team this afternoon which took me to a different page. I could click on telephone, find a store, and community, but not on Online chat. I'll try again in the morning.

Tried an internet speed checker on the ethernet wired Fire TV box tonight, 3.5 Meg. Oh dear. Needless to say, I couldn't watch what I wanted.

Andy

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Walwal69 We're sorry to hear you're still not getting the speeds you're expecting Andy.

When you follow the link to speak to the Broadband Live Chat team, a pop up should show in the bottom right corner when you first access the page, which lets you contact the team 😊

You can also give us a call on 08080 034 515, the team will then be able to run diagnostics on your line and run through some home checks with you.

Please keep us updated and let us know how you get on.

Been onto live chat, changed a couple of settings (I'd already changed some after reading another thread) and the micro filter. Suarav said give it 24 hours and things should improve.

Hope so. Thanks for the help so far.

Andy