cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How long does cancellation take? (Exercising my 30 day cancellation clause)

_cjp
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On the 12th Jan I placed my order with Vodafone for their 38mpbs broadband, I received my router on the 25th Jan and installed the device the same day.

I soon learned that Vodafone insert their own security certificates into certain websites (example, imgur.com) which makes the site unreachable unless you reconfigure your router DNS settings or play with various security exemptions on browsers/phones/tvs etc. There are numerous reports of this around the internet and on this very forum spanning several years but it appears no solutions have been put forth by Vodafone.

I am also dissapointed with the effectiveness of the wi-fi capabilites of the router.

I am going to exercise the clause in my contract that allows me to cancel within 30 days but I haven't contacted Vodafone yet. I have already signed up to BT Broadband in anticipation however their installation date is not until the 12th Feb, does anyone know how long it takes to cancel broadband if I call tomorrow for example? Or should I delay my cancelation until the few days before the 12th Feb? I feel that may be cutting it fine but the contract seems quite clear, I'm just wary that legally I believe I only have 14 days to cancel and the 30 days is simply a courtesy. 

For reference the standard form I found on Vodafone's website says: "The cancellation period will expire after 30 days from you receiving your device."

I think it's all pretty clear but I don't want to be caught out and end up liable for an 18 month contract that I don't want!

4 REPLIES 4

T_Scarface_M
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi @_cjp

If you have already signed upto BT then they will be putting in place a working line takover and they will most likely already have notified Vodafone that you plan to leave. Vodafone will normally diconnect the service the same day that BT takeover. 

So if that date falls out of the 30 day period I would give them a call to let them know that you have decided to leave and they will be able to note the system to say you called in within the 30 days to say you're leaving. be sure to tell them that you have already asked BT to takeover the line so Vodafone don't put a standard disconnection through for you as this could put you in a situation of having no broadband for a period of time. 

A working line takover allows you to use Vodafone Broadband until the day BT takeover which should mean you have no loss of service. 

Hope this helps. :Smiling:

This should 

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated!

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@_cjp You're welcome 😊

I'm glad we could help.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@_cjp We're sorry to hear you're leaving us and we'll be sad to see you go.

As advised by @T_Scarface_M to make the move as simple as possible, BT should complete a working line take over, so you can continue to use our services until you switch.

You can get in touch via our Broadband Live Chat team, or give us a call on 08080 034 515 if you'd also like to let us know you're leaving and moving to BT, so we can note your account.

Don't hesitate to pop back to us if you've got any further questions.