Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I didn't even plug in my Vodafone router

UrWntr
4: Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I recently switched from BT broadband to Vodafone and wanted to share my experience, as there is pretty much only negativity on this forum.

So BT decided to increase their prices again mid-contract and I figured the only way to make this company learn is to vote with my feet and move. Vodafone were offering the best prices around, but the reviews of their broadband were appalling. So I had a dilemma.

I spent some time reading through the forum posts. Most of the complaints were about slow speeds or dropped connections, but it became clear that the cause of most of these problems was the Vodafone router, rather than the underlying connection itself.

I already used a 3rd-party Router with BT (TP-Link WD-9970) which I was happy with, so I took a gamble and ordered Vodafone broadband 76.

3 days prior to my connection date I contacted live chat and asked for my broadband username and password. They asked a few security questions but nothing out of the ordinary and handed over my credentials.

Connection day came and BT cut me off at around 5am. I then logged into my router and changed my username and password to those supplied by Vodafone.

My connection was live just 2 minutes after BT cut me off! And my line synced at 80mb dl and 20mb ul. Exactly what I was getting with BT!

The connection seems to be rock solid and I'm saving £16 per month for what seems to be exactly the same service that I was getting from BT.

My Vodafone router remains unopened in its packaging. I hope I never need to open it :Smiling:

Connection details:

vodafone.png

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Nice to hear youre receiving a good experience both with speeds and service.  :Smiling:

Im sure that's what Vodafone is wanting too - a seamless switch over and service.  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I did the exact same ,came from BT,and everything went great,like you using my own router

Indeed.

It’s pretty clear that Vodafone's problems are caused by the awful router they licensed. A decision that has proved to be a PR disaster.

SubaruWRX2003
4: Newbie

I'm also looking to move from BT to Vodafone as BT once again increased prices midterm and I can save £16.49 per month by switching. Currently using the BT HH6 and read the stories of the crap Vodafone router, The HH6 internal speed info says 77-78 mpbs but Speedtest says 65-68. Clearly I don't want to lose any speed, what router/s are recommended if I want to buy my own? I hear Asus are good, also looking at using a VPN so perhaps something that I can also add the VPN settings too?

Not wanting to spend hundereds as that defeats the point of saving money by moving from BT to Vodafone.

T-Bonez
2: Seeker

it's good to hear this, UrWntr. I have literally just been conected to and it's rubbish. Can I ask, do you use an Openreach modem with you TP-Link router? I have one for a previous provider and a TL-WDR3600 that I might give a go.

Subaru - there are so many VDSL routers available in sure you’ll be able to find one for your needs. The one I mentioned above is just a cheapo £30 router and it’s been rock solid.

t-Bonez- you do not need to use the openreach modem with the TP-link I listed. If the router does not have a VDSL modem in it, you probably could use your openreach modem but I believe it needs to be unlocked.

I currently have the BT HH6 which just plugs into a socket - single box. I was looking at an Asus router as I use a VPN and can put the settings into the router so that all my connected devices are covered.

I take it that any Asus unit will do this?

BT won't budge on the price they offer which is £16.49 more pcm compared to Vodafone. Just need to confirm a few things before I jump ship.

leewickham

Simmler story here, moved from BT Buisness and every thing was up and running within moment of me connecting the new router (unlike your self we had to get a new router).

No complaints what so ever just one slight issue that im having vodafone look in to for me, how ever apart from that it's a wonderfully fast and speedy connection!

good job Vodafone!

do a speedtest for me??

here's mine