Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline confusion

Timski
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

When I signed up for Broadband the adviser who talked me through the process insisted that I had to click on that I wanted a new line, which I didn't need or want. She confirmed through on-line chat that she would amend the order to reflect that I didn't need a new line and that I could/would retain my current landline number. This was confirmed by another advisor through on-line chat when I raised another query. Both advisors also confirmed that the Openreach engineer would not need access to the property on the day of activation. Not true - the Openreach engineer phoned that morning and said that he had to check the line. Good job I had taken the day off, but Vodafone shouldn't be telling people that the engineerrs doesn't need access. The good, in fact excellent part of this story is that the transfer and activation of the Broadband was completed in under 2 hours. Speed is currently good and what was promised. Now the downside: Openreach said that temporary landline number would be switched over by Vodafone within 2 hours of activation. 24 hours later and I was still on the temporary number. Eventually got through to an agent via chat who said that the order had gone through as a 'standalone' and that's why the original number had not been reinstated. When he has told that I had two separate chat transcripts confirming that my order was placed on the basis of no new line and retention of my current number, he apologised for their error and said that he would pass a request to retain the original number to the activation team...who would respond within 10 days to tell me IF I can have my number back! Whilst I have no quibble with the actual provision of the Broadband, the fact that I may have lost my original number is annoying, frustrating and totally the fault of Vodafone, which the agent on chat today actually admitted. Why does it take 10 days to change the number back, which Openreach tell me is done via computer? More importantly and worrying is why the agent who took my order insisted that I had to put down that I wanted a new line for the order to go through, when she had already confirmed that I had a BT line and that it was compatible. I shall be watchinmg my bank account very carefully to see if Vodafone charge me the £60 for a new line that I don't want or need. I wonder how many lost call I will have until my original number is reinstated and if they can't get it back, I will be taking it further and will even consider cancelling the contract as Vodafone will have failed to provide the service I signed up for. Interested to know if others have experienced this 'must opt for a new line' directive from the agent when signing up for Broadband.

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

From what’s occurred @Timski I’m not surprised your unimpressed at the current loss of your number. 

I would have been very cautious at being advised to do as you were advised as invariably changing an order after being created has the capability of going wrong. But then you’d been advised it would be looked after so you put your faith in that. 

I’m assuming that typically a BT Engineer wouldn’t need access as they can get to most residential lines from an outside box on the wall to check it and from visiting the main exchange box. 

I understand your reaction to possibly cancel under the Cooling Off Period but that may not return the landline number back to you if it’s lost. 

Things can sometimes go wrong which I'm sure many accept, but then it's ultimately down to how it's put right that then counts ,and instills confidence back into the product and service. Communication is Key.

I hope this is resolved amicably.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Timski

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

To update: Yesterday, received a txt saying that issues had been identified with my request to retain my landline number. Broadband Team member phoned yesterday evening - very polite and apologetic - but gave the news that Openreach said that my previous number was now not available. Yes, it was requested at sign-up and yes I have 2 transcripts confirming that it would be requested / retained. Shame that what had been excellent service (on-time, informative, etc) that Vodafone had to mess-up this one element of my order. On the plus side, I'll not now be receiving all the marketing / cold calls that I previously received, even if it did take about 4 hours to get notification of the new number out to those who needed to know. Another positive is that to date (5 days) the BB is functioning as it should with only minor fluctuations.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for updating us @Timski.

Apologies that this has happened, however we do appreciate your understanding with this.

If there's anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us through the details provided in @DaneB's private message.

Just when you think all is going well and sorted. I receive an ongoing bill from my previous landline and broadband provider. On investigation, I find that Vodafone didn't cancel , takeover or request to take over my original landline, which they claimed to have done, neither did they cancel my broadband with my previous provider. They did provide a new landline nunber, which wasn't requested or required and they did provide the broadband, which is dropping in speed every day. So, the moral to this story is to check and double check that what you have requested Vodafone to do, that they actually do it before you end up with bills from providers you thought had been notified of your cancellation with them. Touch and go if I stay. One more instance of incompetance and I'll be off.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Timski - 

I’m sorry to hear what’s happened.

So that we can request our Broadband team to look into this, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.