Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No where near guaranteed minimum speed

Starling2015
4: Newbie

Hi 

wondering if anyone can help as I'm getting no where quick with the online advisors, both chats tonight with conflicting advice.

Fibre broadband activated last Tuesday so it's been on a week and so far router speed hasn't gone over 36, out guranteed line speed is 73. One advisor said that a service call had been issued a few days ago due to slow speed and had I received a call, I said no. He said no worries I'll do some tests. He wanted me to take face plate off, so I unscrewed it but I couldn't get it off. After that line was disconnected to chat!! 

Had to explain it all to a different advisor who who advised me to change channels and enable split something! 

My my question is why get told my guaranteed line speed is 73 when most of the time I don't even get half that showing in the statistics. I know it takes a while to stabilise but surely they should be much higher already?

Sorry for the ramble feeling frustrated!

Stats below- I've noticed the FEC counter on upload is going up by 1000,s in seconds? Normal?

Status
DSL Status
NAT Mapping Table
Diagnostic Utility
Event Log
Restart
About
DSL Status
This page shows the technical parameters of your DSL connection.

DSL Status
DSL Connection
90.252.46.118 active

Bit rate
Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate 34999 (Kbps.) 19985 (Kbps.)
Operating data
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 4.6 dB 6.1 dB
Loop Attenuation 18.6 dB 23 dB
Error counter
Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections 43 5554722
CRC Error 13 6
Statistics
Transmitted Frames Received Frames
Frame Counter 2242083 3699873

33 REPLIES 33

Starling2015
4: Newbie

Router speeds this morning, router been running for 14 hours since Vodafone advisor told me to change channels and split ssid. Why so many FEC errors on upload? I had nothing like this when I was Sky Fibre.

DSL Status
DSL Connection
90.252.46.118 active
DSL Mode
VDSL G.993.5 (VDSL)
DSL status information
Line status Show Time
Link type Interleaved path
Bit rate
Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate 34999 (Kbps.) 19985 (Kbps.)
Operating data
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 7.8 dB 6.2 dB
Loop Attenuation 18.6 dB 23 dB
Error counter
FEC Corrections 6689 2309294003
CRC Error 129 47924
Statistics
Frame Counter 11692339

arghh I just want the line speed I was promised, back to online support I go or is it more beneficial to call? Just get fobbed off 😖

Just tested with face plate off, these are the statistics within 2 minutes - no difference to line speed? FEC corrections on upload already high 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@Starling2015 I'm sorry to see you're not getting the speeds you're expecting. Are these speeds only occurring over Wi-Fi, or are they on a wired connection too? I noticed that you mentioned splitting your SSID and that didn't seem to help, so was wondering if its a Wi-Fi issue. It may seem silly, but small things like the position of the router, mirrors and electronic devices can affect Wi-Fi strength.

You can find some useful information on improving your Wi-Fi signal here.

When you contacted our Broadband Live Chat team, did they run diagnostics on your sync speed, to see if there's any problems occurring from the cabinet to house?

Pop back to us and let us know, if you're still having any problems we'll be happy to pass your query onto our Broadband team.

Thank you for your reply. When I spoke to support he had said a service request has been raised due to slow speed but didn't elaborate any further than that, whilst he was running diagonistic tests our chat got disconnected. So had to start chat again with someone else who didn't mention the service request at all but told me to change channels and split ssid. The guaranteed minimum line speed in my contract is 73 but the line speed coming in at the moment hasn't gone above 36, so I have no idea what is going on. Someone has mentioned that it sounds likely the line has been restricted and the line needs resetting by open reach? 

Currebt stats - router status since changing channels and splitting SSID 1 day 16 hours ago:

DSL Status
This page shows the technical parameters of your DSL connection.

DSL Status
DSL Connection
90.252.46.21 active
DSL Mode
VDSL G.993.5 (VDSL)
DSL status information
Line status Show Time
Link type Interleaved path
Bit rate
Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate 32400 (Kbps.) 19692 (Kbps.)
Operating data
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 9.4 dB 6.2 dB
Loop Attenuation 18.6 dB 23.1 dB
Error counter
FEC Corrections 21186 1275565
CRC Error 227 0
Statistics
Frame Counter 85148 114239

So sick of this, online support chat again, can see a service request issued on line, fault was cleared by Open Reach on January 12th so I shouldn't be getting this issue but he could quite plainly see we are. Told me to reset router, have done that it's made no difference to the speed of the line and with that our chat got disconnected! Now I've got to go through the whole hassle of explaining it again! I'm receiving half the expected guaranteed line speed, someone must be able to raise this issue further up before I lose my mind trying to explain it all over again and following the same steps over and over!  

TJ

@Starling2015 So we can pass this along to our Broadband team, I've popped you a private message over with details on how to get in touch.

So it's been 4 days and still no contact after I sent details. Line speed dropped to 30mbs but now is up to 35, but where is the 73 I was guaranteed!

Thought I'd randomly check my TV's connection, it's plugged in via Ethernet and only getting 8mbs download, if I unwired it and let it pick up the wifi it jumps up to 15mbs....something not right there, how can I hardwired connection get such a poor result! 

Really regretting signing up to this service.

Ignore the tv remark as my firestick is getting 31mb through internet so must be my tv! 

That said I still need my line issue fixing please 

TJ

@Starling2015 Sorry to hear that you've not been contacted yet. Do you have the reference number we'll have sent out to you, when you completed the form - it'll look something like this [#1234567].

Please provide this and I'll be happy to check on the status of your email for you.