main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

PPOE own modem setup

10: Established

@Photo - what are you using for the modem?

View more options
2: Seeker

Draytek Vigor 130. 

View more options

Hi

I have recently switched to Vodafone broadband and am also using a Netgear R7000, but with Asus WRT / Merlin rather than Tomato.  It is working fine with the credentials provided by Customer Services and actually would not work when I tried to use the VLAN 101 tag.  Happy to go through settings if it helps.  

Regards

View more options

I have a Netgear R7000  with Tomato and spent many hours with it trying to connect with a Openreach Modem, mdem would connect to no matter what settings I tried in R7000 failed to connect..

Any tips ?

Thanks

View more options
3: Seeker

Sorry to bring up an old thread, But did anyone figure out how to get the NightHawk R7000 connected?

View more options
13: Advanced Member

I don't have a Nighthawk router, but I and others have established a connection to Vodafone using an HG612 Openreach modem.  It is important that the connection userid is in the format dsl000123456atbroadband.vodafone.uk where at is an @ sign. 

It is possible to establish a PPPoE connection  a Windows 10 PC.

View more options

I have tried many times with the ECI Openreach modem. Would you recommend getting a HG612 off ebay? At the moment I have my NightHawk R7000 connected through the VF router for now. But that kinda defeats the object. Also does the HG612  need to be unlocked?

View more options

If that defeats the objective, what is the objective? I am currently using the R7000 as a wifi point only, with the Vodafone router doing DHCP and modem duties. I previously used the HG612, but I'm not sure there was any advantage in doing so. 

View more options

The objective is to do away with the VF Router altogether as the internet is still dropping out, although the WiFi signal has improved. So using the HG612 would like to rule out the VF router. 

View more options

OK, well I haven't experienced this  I don't ever get dropouts with the VF router, i.e. 100% uptime for weeks on end. I have seen problems with someone else's VF router when there were multiple WiFi connections, but I have the WiFi on mine switched off, since the R7000 is handling WiFi.

View more options

I've been with VF for almost a year now with no problems at all. But notice in the last week or so that the internet would drop out every now and again. So I got my R7000 out to test if it was the router having issues. but it's good to know that it will work with the HG612.

How hard was it to to connect with the HG612?

View more options

It was really simple. The only difficulty was getting the authentication details from VF!  But I don't recall all the details and I'm not at home now to check. There should be instructions upthread or elsewhere in this forum. 

View more options

Thank you for your help @digitaria. I have hopefully got the authentication details from VF ie username and password. Will look for a HG612 tonight. Does it have to be unlocked?

View more options

I don't recall having to unlock it.

View more options

@iduff87

I bought an "BT Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B FTTC VDSL NTE Fibre Modem" from an ebay seller called compuclear.

It worked as supplied although I did later unlock it.  Unlocking this modem just gives you acess to some of the statistics.  I am surprised that you can't establish a connection with the ECI modem.  If you have a Windows 10 PC with an ethernet port then you should be able to establish a PPPoE connection to a modem.

If you remove the cover from the WAN port of the Vodafone router and connect it to a modem with an ethernet cable  and connect the modem to the phone line (instead of the Vodafone router)  you should have a working system. That would verify your ECI modem.

View more options

So after my very last attempt at connecting my NightHawk R7000 it turn out the whole time I was putting in the wrong password..... instead of putting a capital “i” i was putting a lower case L (“I” > “l” ) problem solved. Thank you all for your input and advice. Much appreciated!

View more options

Ha. Many a plan has come to grief like that. Glad you got it sorted. 

View more options
Highlighted
5: Helper

I'm a bit late to this party, but I have a Vigor 130 happily connected to my Vodafone line, which is then in turn connected to my router (2925).

Username should look like: dsl000654321 @ broadband . vodafone . co . uk  (sans spaces)

I did a factory reset on the 130, and then set it to just run in VDSL mode (rather than auto) and I did clone the VF router's mac address into the 2925 (not sure if that is necessary).   I can't recall if I had to set a vlan ID anywhere (doesn't appear to be set in the 2925), but I don't have the 130 config to hand.

View more options

The UK version of the Draytek Vigor 130 will work pretty much out of the box with Vodafone, just so long as you have the PPPoE settings on the router correct.

Provided you've changed nothing on the modem, you can access it's Web based management console at 192.168.2.1 using the folling settings:

return cahnnel.gif*taken from my Asus RT-AC86U

Once you have that done you can change the SNR value on the router by using the command "vdsl snr 0". 0 is the default and should give you the same speed as the VF router, while the range goes from -50 (lowest snr/highest speed) to 50 (highest snr/lowest speed).

View more options