Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Printer Connection

BarrySalisbury
1: Seeker

Has anyone successfully connected a printer to the router via the USB socket creating a shared printer. Looking to use this set up rather than having printer connected directly to my laptop, which is Windows 8.

Tried following a Youtube tutorial but whilst it appeared to go OK the Test Page would not print. Is there a specific IP suffix for Vodafone routers like other manufacturers have ?

Any help much appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@BarrySalisbury Does the printer you're trying to use have wireless capability? If so you can connect to your router via WPS by following these steps:

1. From the main menu, choose My Wi-Fi.
  2. Choose WPS and you'll be prompted to Start Pairing the device with your Wi-Fi network. 
  3. Press the WPS button on the device you want to connect to your Wi-Fi network. Please note: you'll need to do this within two minutes, otherwise pairing will be cancelled and you'll need to repeat the steps.

You can also find lots of information on connecting your printer to your Vodafone router here.

Please keep us updated and don't hesitate to pop back to us if you're still having issues, we'll be happy assist your further 👍

Hello, I have a similar problem.

I'm trying to connect my printer HP LaserJet 1018 using the router's USB port.

In router's "Diagnostic Utility" when I run "Automated diagnosis" I received a message: "USB Succeeded, Number of USB devices: 1, HPLaserJet1018".

I followed the instructions from the linked article (https://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/11573/~/connect-a-printer-to-your-vodafone-broad...), using this URL: http://192.168.1.1:631/printers/HPLaserJet1018.

Unfortunately, when I install the printer on my Windows 10, the printer installs successfully, but it has a "Pause Printing" option selected, but when I try to unselect it, I get: "Error processing command" message.

Could you confirm that I use a valid URL and that the instruction on the linked page applies to my router as well? It's tagged as a "Vodafone Broadband" with S/N: 80412H1002804.

See an attachment with a screenshot.

Thank you in advance for your help.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

That's odd @okli 🤔

Have you tried the steps that @TJ has provided above?

@daneB, my printer doesn't have wireless capability, only USB, so I cannot follow the steps from the first post. Instead, I followed the steps from the URL mentioned in that post. Besides, I tried it on 2 different PCs, and they behave in exactly the same way.

T_Scarface_M
16: Advanced member

Hi @okli, please try the following steps:

1. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser.
  2. This will bring up the Graphical User Interface (GUI) where you can login into the router.
  3. It will ask you for a password and the default password is vodafone all in lower case.
  4. Once logged in you’ll see a drop down bar that says Basic Mode, change it to Expert Mode.
  5. In the red bar below this there is 6 headings, Overview, Internet, Wi-Fi, Sharing , Settings and Status & Support. Please click on Sharing.
  6. Once in here, check and see if your printer shows under the sub-heading – Printers. Make sure the Share all slider is green and not grey and press Save.
  7. For this next part you’ll need to look at your manufacturers booklet/instructions. You’ll need to find which ports they recommend to open for your printer.
  8. Click on the Internet heading this time, then select the sub-heading Port Mapping on the left hand side.
  9. Here you can add the information you got from your printer manufacturers booklet and this should open up access to the printer. Wired or Wireless.

Hopefully this helps you out, it sorted my connection issues for my own printer. 

Hi there

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have just got a Vodafone Gigabox and I cannot connect a HP Photosmart printer via USB cable to it.  Where do I find the port info recommended in above thread?

also, when I go into port mapping in GUI it is not picking up the printer in devices?

Help !!

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually the post you are referring to is a little overly convoluted.

All you should really need to do (8 times out of 10 - on a normal router) is plug the printer into the router.  Go into the router menus and make sure that printer sharing is enabled - its usually on a tab titled "sharing" or "media".  Then if you run the printer setup program on your computer it should search for a network-attached printer and find it!

*It's not uncommon for routers to reserve the needed ports quite automatically and completely unannounced!

**Are we now calling the THG3000x/VOX3 the Gigabox according to VF marketing!

***If you are running Win7 or later then I'd recommend getting the free HP Smart app from the Windows store - it's a seriously easy way to get HP printers installed.

Thanks Keith

I had the hp photosmart 7760 connected directly into last to modems  no issues until I got this new gigabox or whatever it is !! 

When I go jnto sharing in gui the printer is there, underneath a drop down headed vox30printerserver 

But I cannot print.  I have downloaded hp app you talk about but it can't find the printer set up this way either and of course vodafone have no idea

Looks like I'm back to connecting printer directly to laptop

Thanks again

Tony

Jayach

I haven't tried to install a printer on my THG3000/Vox3 but have you tried reinstalling the printer driver from the HP site and if asked saying it is a network printer?

https://www8.hp.com/uk/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/printer-setup-help2.html