main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Problems with streaming live tv

SOLVED
View solved solution
4: Newbie

Hello there

Just wondering if anyone else might be having problems with live tv streaming.  Its constantly buffering every 5 seconds but it works fine when I take it to a friends house.  Up until around a month or two ago, it was flawless.  Im paying £40 a year for this tv service and at the moment its unusable.  Ive tried on my phone, on my laptop and on my PC (which is unfortunately connected to the router via a Powerline adapter as I have no phone sockets in my lounge) and its the same on all 3 devices.  I have borrowed a super long CAT5 cable to test a direct link to my PC from the router and will try that later on today when I get home. 

I contacted the live chat guys about this a couple of days ago and told me to split my wifi, which I already have been doing for about the last 12 months, and asked me to put some google DNS addresses into my router which I have done and then they told me to manually choose a 2.4Ghz channel and set my 5GHz to Auto.

I did this (chose several 2.4Ghz channels and no improvement) but lost my 5GHz connection as I am not broadcasting my SSIDs.  As soon as I broadcast my 5Ghz SSID on 'Auto' channel it worked fine so I changed it back to manual and selected a 'quiet' channel and rehid my SSID like it was before and that was that.

They checked my line and said there was no faults (they copied and pasted the results of the test in the chat) and I am syncing at 55MBps and they guarantee 40Mbps. So apart from adding some manual DNS settings to my router (primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4 or it could have been 8884), all the other advice I was given I was already doing.  Speedtest (ookla) also showed that the speeds were good (as long as I didnt use Newbury server - for some reason that shows half the speed?).

General browsing seems to be working fine and im streaming my Xbox (connected on 5ghz) to my PC (connected via powerline adapter) no problem - its purely my live tv streaming program/app.

Has there been a restriction put in place recently?  If so, I will be leaving Vodafone as it works fine at my freinds houses who are not on vodafone.  Ive not got the router firewall on either.

Any more advice/help on what I can try to resolve this would be great - thanks

Jimbo

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TJ We all know what it is... its the way  you guys are routing the broadband

Read this thread 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/td-p/26...

KeithAlger replied with what the issue is - we would love for you guys to fix it.

View more options
11 REPLIES
2: Seeker

Read the first few pages of this forum......

View more options

I assume theres a wider problem then thats affecting me too then?  No one else has mentioned problems with streaming live TV that I can see so thats why I posted.

Last night I connected my PC direct to the router via a CAT5 cable and tried all 4 lan ports at the back of the router and no difference at all.  I also connected my ADSL filter direct into the master socket (took the front part off and connected it into the socket direct) and rebooted the router and again, no difference at all so its not the Wifi thats the problem, it must be the broadband surely?

Jimbo

View more options
2: Seeker

I am having the same buffering issues :-(

View more options

It's very strange that you're only experiencing issues with this one particular service @JimboAccy, especially after all the thorough troubleshooting you've done.

So I can take a closer look into this, I've sent you and @Gopterukprivate message with details on how to get in touch directly. 

View more options

Thank you @TJ - I am away for the weekend now so will follow this up on Tuesday when I'm back home

Jimbo

View more options

You're welcome @JimboAccy, get in touch when ever you've got time 👍 I hope we can get this resolved for you!

View more options

TJ We all know what it is... its the way  you guys are routing the broadband

Read this thread 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/td-p/26...

KeithAlger replied with what the issue is - we would love for you guys to fix it.

View more options

Just logged into my vodafone account and noticed there was a button for 'Manage content controls' next to my broadband product.  I had 'Safe' selected.  Im sure this wasnt there before?  Ive turned it off in the small hope it might make a difference?  But so far no joy.. Will give it a while...

Jimbo

View more options
7: Helper

sorry to say it will just unblock dodgy website thats all , ie lot of kodi streaming sites etc , web site that has dodgy software, hack etc 

View more options

Yep spot on - made no difference whatsoever so Ive turned it back on.

Will persist with the email conversations I am having at the moment which are asking me to do things Ive already done and stated in the original post in this thread (which I sent a link to in the original form I submitted like TJ requested)... 

See how far I get...  Not much point in asking to leave if it takes 8 weeks, I will be very nearly out of contract by then anyway.

I am in the process of getting 4g sorted out very shortly anyway so I am happy to use that just for my live TV streaming until the end of my home broadband contract in mid april (others that have the same service as me have confirmed, rather ironically, that it works on Vodafone 4g so believe it or not Im moving my 4g over to Vodafone)

Jimbo

View more options

Like others, Ive signed up for a 30 day trial for Express VPN and since turning it on to a server in Holland, it hasnt buffered once in over 2 hours..... - turn it off and it buffers within seconds and keeps doing so...  Whats going on Vodafone?

Jimbo

View more options