Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Reverse DNS (PTR) records

Simon8
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have recently upgraded my internet connection to Business Fiber 76 from Demon ADSL and as part of the upgrade I purchased a block of static IP addresses - configurable through the Vodafone router (I was told).

It is essential that the IP address for my email server has a PTR (reverse DNS) record configured so that properly configured email servers will accept my email messages. I send invoices to customers and remittance advice notes to suppliers, amongst other things.

Unfortunately there appears to be a problem getting this done. There is also a problem getting a message to someone who knows what to do. I have communicated with someone using the support chat, who gave me a phone number for the relevant people. When I got through I was told that getting PTR records set is impossible.

Note: I sent an email reply to four people yesterday. The original sender and three CCd recipients. The email servers for three of the recipients rejected the message because there is no PTR record configured.

Does anyone know either:

a) How to configure the PTR records for your .../29 block of addresses,

or

b) How to get a message to the relevant person at Vodafone who knows how to edit the correct zone file and add PTR records?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have found the solution and my PTR records are now correct.

The process is as follows:

Identify your IP address, or the relevant IP address that you require the PTR record to be set on.

At the command line run "whois <IP Address>"

In the returned information, locate the "AS" number.

At the command line run "whois <AS Number>" e.g. "whois AS1234"

In the returned information there should be an email address for the correct team.

I found that they are very helpful and will advise you on what needs to be done and/or verified and will then notify the DNS team as required.

Note: If you just run "whois <IP Address>" the only email address returned is the abuse contact.

View solution in original position

25 REPLIES 25

okecokey
5: Helper

You could try private messaging one of the Mods or Admins who should be able to put you in touch with the person you need

Administrator 

machare
13: Advanced Member

@Simon8wrote:

I have recently upgraded my internet connection to Business Fiber 76 from Demon ADSL and as part of the upgrade I purchased a block of static IP addresses - configurable through the Vodafone router (I was told).

Who told you?

What does Ripe tell you about the IP addresses you have purchased?

What happens if you use tracert to one of these addresses.

To solve your problem I suggest that you get Vodafone to allocate you a fixed IP address and then get your reverse DNS record changed.  If if have a Vodafone business a/c then you may be able to have more than one IP address,

I was told by someone from the Vodafone support line. Unfortunately I didn't write down their name.

A "whois ..." returns the information that I would expect. The /29 block is allocated to Vodafone as part of their allocation that they got when they purchased CWW.

Inbound connections work fine. As do all outbound except email to properly configured servers.

machare
13: Advanced Member

I sugest that you make contact with whoever your domain name is registered with.

This Link may help.

See also the horiz0n post on page three of this thread.

Absolutely terrible customer service and that's even on a so called Business service. Just taken the business broadband product and had problems getting it installed on time, problems getting a static ip, and to finish with been trying for a week to get vodaphone to setup a DNS PTR record. Tried ringing customer services who have no clue what one even is , but do every time promise a call back, which of cause never happens.. So after complaning this morning and a very helpful chat with another customer service advisor, no further forward apparently it is impossible to talk to 2nd/3rd line support, they do not talk to customers even when the customer knows more about how the internet actually works than Vodaphone and it looks like Vodaphone have no idea if they do or do not support what I'm asking for. simply a PTR record change on my static ip.

Please tell me who I need to talk to about terminating my week old contract as the Vodaphone business service is not fit for purpose!

I agree about terrible customer support, I seems there is not training provided as they have no clue. I've been waiting a week now for static IP which should be set up from activatation date of service. Called few times and all I got were poor excuses.  Now learnining of possible additional problems (PTR) I will most likely cancel within my first 30 days. Very dissapointing business service.  

Did you have any resolution of PTR problems?

No still no joy, talked again to a customer service advisor to terminate my contract on the basis the PTR record could not be modified. They asked around but again no one knew what I was taking about.

So looking around now for another provider.

I have found the solution and my PTR records are now correct.

The process is as follows:

Identify your IP address, or the relevant IP address that you require the PTR record to be set on.

At the command line run "whois <IP Address>"

In the returned information, locate the "AS" number.

At the command line run "whois <AS Number>" e.g. "whois AS1234"

In the returned information there should be an email address for the correct team.

I found that they are very helpful and will advise you on what needs to be done and/or verified and will then notify the DNS team as required.

Note: If you just run "whois <IP Address>" the only email address returned is the abuse contact.

So you wrote to ipabuse_at_vodafone.co.uk ?

I did that this morning they haven't responsed yet, did you get them to change your record?