Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ridiculous Packet Loss

DJRenegade
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I dont know why my post was deleted but here is is.
So I am currently within the 10 day "settling in" period, however I am getting a worrying amount of packet loss that hasnt improved since day 1. I have 2 days to go until the 10 days is up but I am not going to lie, its not looking great.
I was assured that there is no throttling or traffic management however my speeds drop from 20-30mbps (Promised 48mbps) to less than 2mbps (usually below 1mbps) during peak times. My packet loss usually seems to stay between 10-20% during these times. I also tested Jitter and during peak times its an absolutely stupid 200+ms.

So I guess that means Vodafone actually do throttle my connection?
Also I keep getting told that it can take upto 30 days to "settle in", so basically your fallback for bad internet is -"Give it until your cooling off period has run out and then its tough you are stuck with us anyway"????
I just moved from Virgin media after they conned me into a new contract and somehow "lost" the phonecall that would have proven it. I will not get stuck with another terrible provider who lies and tricks their way into a new customer.
I use NowTV for my television (Steaming everything) and I am an avid online gamer so my internet needs to be as smooth as can be, throttling and traffic management is a big no no for me. So I need a definitive answer, will my internet be throttled during peak times? And will I still get my promised speeds during throttling?

I began a BQM yesterday and shall be watching it closely over the next 2 days, you can see the dropped packets in red along the top of the graph. (see below)
If I get any whiff of BS I think I will just jump ship. 

My Broadband Ping - Vodafone

25 REPLIES 25

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RobB82 You may wish to try and change your Wi-Fi Channels, as this could help you with your issue. I've provided the steps on how to do this below 🙂

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

@Alex

Just tried changing the channel. No difference in performance. As I type, download speed is below 7mbs. The speedtest just finished at 4.41mbs. 

It needs to be better than this.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RobB82

As Alex previously advised we're unable to guarantee your minimum guarenteed speed over a Wi-Fi connection. 

To find your sync speed, log into your router menu by going to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

You'll then need to input your password - vodafone 

@Mark wrote:

@RobB82

As Alex previously advised we're unable to guarantee your minimum guarenteed speed over a Wi-Fi connection. 

To find your sync speed, log into your router menu by going to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

You'll then need to input your password - vodafone 

I could be wrong, but I believe all ISPs are the same.

Hi Mark.

I’ve already done that. Sync speed is 66mbs. 

I do always smile when I hear ‘we can’t guarantee the guaranteed speed.’ 

Imagine trying that in any other business and getting away with it. 

I found that the sync speed I was receiving was around 69mbps but even plugged into the router I was getting speeds of less than 10 - leading me to believe the sync speed was BS. Can you re-run the speedtest when using a wired connection?

The same. I'll try another test when I get. The only constitent factor is the decline in speeds at peak times.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RobB82 Let us know how you get on, when you re-try the speedtest.

Just an update to my situation.
Here is a Live graph again

My Broadband Ping - Vodafone 3

As you can see I still get pretty frequent amount of packet loss. I can userstand 1-2% of packet loss on occasion however I still seem to get above that for a decent portion of the day. Unfortunately I seem to be stuck with it now as I am past my cooling off period (Speaking of which, where is my free gift lol?!). I have also noticed huge drops in speed during peak times, nowhere near as bad as previously, but it drops significantly lower than my promised speeds at times.
As before, my biggest issue is the packet loss, it makes watching TV on my NowTV box impossible when it happens unless I want to buffer every few minutes.
Vast improvement over before, but in my honest opinion, still not acceptable in 2017 when charging £30 a month for it.

I really dont understand ISPs now, speeds are getting higher, but the quality of the connection is suffering.
Bring back my 1mbps net I had 10 years ago, smooth, packet loss was extremely rare and pings when gaming were rediculously low at around 10-15ms.
Fast forward to 2017, 76mbps download (which I dont actually get), packet loss throughout the day and lucky to see sub 40ms pings in game lmao.

I had a phone call yesterday from the 2nd line fault technical team. 

Apparently there is a capacity issue with the local exchange. Which basically means I have to wait ‘3-4 weeks at least’ until I see any improvement. 

I had an update on my Xbox to download last night. It was downloading at 1.5mbs a second! Haha! I think I’ll have a chat with customer services in the morning. Should I be paying £30 a month for sub 5mbs during peak times? Especially since it’s a Vodafone capacity problem and nothing to do with Openreach. No wonder I wasn’t having these issues with BT- they have the proper capacity.