Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router Constantly Slowing

dustymil59
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My router gets slower and slower until I reset the DSL or restart the router. I've spoken a couple of times to support and only end up frustrated, so I'm looking to the forum for some guidance.

Vodafone did provide a replacement router, but this did not help at all.

I carryout speed tests on my WiFi when I notice slow download speeds or delays in web pages loading, which are frequent. Then I either reconnect the DSL or restart the router, then the download speed immediatly goes to around 37Mbps, here are a slection of test results:-

Test Results.png

The faster speeds are after I've reconncted/restarted. And these are the better results, someimes it gets so bad that I cannot even perform a test. 

I should have to carryout maintenance like this every day or two!

Any advice will be most welcome, since my next step is to ditch Vodafone and go back to Zen.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

An Internet service shouldn't REQUIRE users to carry out maintenance in order to keep everything working at all!

For the moment we can't actually see the image that you posted, that'll change when it's been checked.  The letter that VF sent you on joining should tell you what you can expect, and other than network faults those figures should be pretty near the mark.

So having said that it kind of suggests that the issue may be environmental!  With that in mind your modem router should be plugged into a filtered output on the master socket (either a VDSL filter as supplied with the router or straight into a filtered face plate) - it doesn't need to be plugged into the test socket, you'd only need to do that for actual testing!  If you are using the VDSL filters or have an older filtered faceplate then you should have a VDSL filter plugged into each and every phone extention that you have (not necessary on the latest filetered faceplate.  If all that is good then you can rule interference on the internal phone extensions - the sort of interference these can pick up may not even originate in your property!

Next up, if possible try using a wired ethernet connection to the router and see if that makes any difference.  If it does then your issues could be down to competing WiFi networks in your immediate locale.  Competing WiFi can in some instances cause your WiFi to slow down when others are using theirs!

That's a little to be going on with, let us know if any of that helps!

Keith,

Thanks for your advice.

I have filters on everything, plus my BT whole house WiFi system is plugged directly into the router and the router WiFi is turned off, so that devices don't switch the the router over the BT system.

The WiFi signal is great all over the house, it's just the download speed that drops, strangley, the upload doesn't suffer as much.

When I signed up, VF promised 56Mbps, which I knew was unrealistic, around 40Mbps has always been the maximum my line can achieve, given the distance from the exchange etc. VF continue to give me a 15% cost reduction for not delivering what was guaranteed, which was fine, but now the slowing of the connection is becoming a problem to me since I spend more time at home

Save one chap from Egypt, who was excellent with his advice, VF support is useless. They have requested that I hard wire my desktop to the router, which given the distcance, isn't possible and seems pointless to me, since my Wifi signal strength is excellent with the BT system. Surely there must be some line checks that can be monitored remotely?

I suspect that VF are jsut in denial of any problems due to not having a fix. Also, I'm supsicous that capacity may be the real issue, since I never had the issue when with ZEN, not to say of course, that a fault ahsn't developed since hten.

I just wish that VF gave me confidence in their support and were more open regarding issues!

Just come back to PC and noticed again that the speed had dropped, did a test 9.06Mbps Download, 7.71Mbps Upload. I then reconnected the DSL, 37.29 Mbps download, 8.05Mbps Upload!!

Interestingly, my event log is littered with all my devices constantly disconnecting then reconnecting seconds later, is this normal?

Broadband service is irratic, come on VF, sort it out, or at least tell me what is happning and why

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so it sounds like you've done everything that you realistically can.....  So I was going to suggest that it sounded like an OpenReach cabinet issue.

That your devices are disconnecting and then reconnecting all the time though is not normal!  It almost sounds like there is some massive source of RFI in the vicinity!  The sort of thing that could only be accounted for by a radio transmitter or someone running a cannabis farm (kinda joking there!).

@dustymil59 Hi there, how did you get on? did you attempt the wired speed test? the reason we normally ask this is to rule out the wireless signal in your area. If you need any further help, please let us know.

Joe 

I have exactly the same issue. Did you ever figure it out?

Vodafone never did, but I found a solution, I left them!

Sorry, not much help to you!