Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router dropping connection / Apple Airplay / Loss of speed

Andrew1000
4: Newbie

Hello.  I've recently moved over to Vodafone Broadband and in general it's going ok.  

One issue however is that Airplay (used for communication with all my Apple devices) no longer works on the network.  My Amp (which is the Airplay end-point is no longer detectable by any of my devices.  For reference I've turned off the amp & made sure that it's otherwise fully connected to the network. Everything looks fine, but Airplay no longer works.

Please help.  Is there something that needs updating / changing on the router ?

64 REPLIES 64

Just so you do not loose all hope airplay did work for me from Apple Phone (wifi) to Apple TV (wired) just using the router - so it is possible.  I have not done anything special to get this to work. 

I do however now just use the supplied router as a dumb modem and use my good kit to do all the hard stuff, but there was a few days I tried with just the vodafone router and airplay was working ok.  

My router is new and my firmware has always been :

Rgds

Paul

Cheers Paul.  It does help, I was really hoping that Vodafone weren't killing Apple Airplay on purpose.

Looks like your firmware is a bit newer than mine so here's hoping that if they can update my "new" router things will get better.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Andrew1000

Did you email us using the link provided on the private message @Rahim sent? If so, let us know the reference number from the auomated reply and we'll check we've got it.

Yes I did.  Unfortunately noone contacted me.

The email I recieved had the following reference.  EFT195 [#15422093]

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Andrew1000 - Thanks for getting back to us.

I can see we’ve received your email and Danielle has replied. 

Not sure who has replied or how.?

I've had no phone call from Vodafone and have no new private messages. My "new" router is still working on a version of software a year old.  Airplay doesn't work  I can't split the 2.4 & 5Ghx LAN's.

What exactly has someone supposed to have contacted me about ?

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Andrew1000 I'm sorry for the delay in someone getting in touch about your query. 

If possible, please reply back to Danielle's email saying you've yet to be contacted and we'll chase this up for you. 

I've emailed them to chase.

Any reason that this is taking so long ?  Surely someone could just force the new firmware to my router (5 min job?) and then I can split my Wireless and test.  In fact, just using the new firmware may solve my issue.

I suspect my issues are common though.  Before I moved to Vodafone I recommended my Dad to move over, which he did.  I had a chat with him at the weekend and he said "oh yes, our red bar flashes quite regularly".  So I asked him to call support too.  He puts up with it because he doesn't yet understand that when he's streaming TV and this happens he won't be watching it anymore.  But it does already cause him problems because he has a Sure Signal and that gets taken down.

The router was my biggest cause for concern when I moved.  I was previously using an expensive Netgear system which was bulletproof and worked through the entire house.  Completely under my control, locked down tight, airplay worked and I could force updates for security whenever I wished.  3 weeks in and .....

Andrew what version are you on (out of interest) cause the version you say earlier in this trail is the same as my bootloader version

2017-02-28 14_07_46-Status.png

P

My router (in the web config) only shows 1 "version" I'm afraid.  I'm not at home to check right now, but don't remember seeing it split into firmware and bootloader revisions.  I think it jst said "software revision".

6 days after replying to the thread to log a call, still no call back from anyone technical at Vodafone.