Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up a Netgear Nighthawk D7800

MACH1
4: Newbie

Has anyone successfully set up this router - or one of the same family to operate on Vodafone broadband?   I have been trying with some of the settings I found on the forum, so far without success.  Unfortunately Vodafone is not one of the ISPs that the router is pre programmed for.   I  have obtained my PPOE username and password from Vodafone but I am clearly not entering the details exactly as required.

Any help gratefully received.

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you tell it that you are using BT but use your VF username and password the other settings should work.

I have tried using the BT settings - but no luck.

I’ve been using this for 8months perfect, have you enabled the connection, it’s a checkbox on the same page as login details

Can you see anything obvious wrong with these settings?

Capture.JPG

Unable to see the photo ?

Are you able to PM me ? 

Success!   The router is now working, although I'll check out the speed tomorrow as the connection this evening seems slower than usual.  All working fine with BT settings. The crucial revelation in your advice was the note about how long it took the D7800 to tune itself in to Vodafone. I had been expecting (probably naively) that the router would connect as soon as I saved the correct entries. It looks like even with these, it takes a few minutes to establish the internet connection.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your advice - without it I am sure I would by now have been getting extremelyfrustrated with my new aquisition!

Alas my joy was short-lived!

The D7800 IS connecting to the Vodafone Internet - but the speed is now very slow - around 4-6 Mbit/s whereas typically I was previously getting 24-30Mbit/s.   I cannot see any obvious points to adjust so does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to get the speed back where it should be?   The D7800 is now providing an excellent wifi signal around the house ( which was a problem using the Vodafone router) - just a very slow connection.

@MACH1 wrote:

Alas my joy was short-lived!

The D7800 IS connecting to the Vodafone Internet - but the speed is now very slow - around 4-6 Mbit/s whereas typically I was previously getting 24-30Mbit/s.   I cannot see any obvious points to adjust so does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to get the speed back where it should be?   The D7800 is now providing an excellent wifi signal around the house ( which was a problem using the Vodafone router) - just a very slow connection.

Hello mach1, 

did you find a solution to this? I’ve got a Netgear dm200 as modem hooked up to the Netgear xr500. Like you the wifi is great but my internet speeds have been almost cut in half. I was getting 75-80mbps using the Vodafone router but now I’m getting around 40-45. I’ve tried using just the dm200 as a router without the xr500 and it’s even worse at 33mbps. So annoying. 

Hi

Yes, I got the problem sorted out. After looking at all the configuration options and still drawing a blank, I reported an apparent problem to Vodafone. Out of the blue, an Openreach engineer knocked on the door a few days later and ran some checks. His final conclusion was that the Vodafone router was dodgy. When he tested the line direct from any of the sockets in the house, he got a line speed of around 31 Mbit/s but this dropped down to around 5-6 when measured via the RJ45 socket on the router - so the wifi speed couldn't possibly have been quicker. When I reported this back to Vodafone, they arranged a replacement. Meanwhile I had gone back to the D7800 as soon as the Openreach engineer confirmed the line speed was good and all was working fine.  Speed is now fine, but the biggest gain has to be that the wifi signal works all around the house now. Interesting, as our house isn't huge, so obviously the Vodafone router wifi is pretty ropey.