Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow speed peak times

maughanorama
4: Newbie

i get the same.. Suppossed to be 76 mb but in day time midnightish till 18:00 iget anything between 50 -67 mb which is totally acceptable. However between 18:00 and midnight my connection is traffic shaped and i get a max of 18mb lowest of about 8. Now i know that not to bad but its around 10% of my connection speed stated on my router. And way below the minimum of a guaranteed 45mb. I have been through the terms and conditions and im unable to find the traffic managemnet bit. Also this has only just started when i upgraded to 76mb from 38mb so its defo something to do with the upgrade

24 REPLIES 24

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@maughanorama Are these speeds over Wi-Fi or are they on a wired connection too? If they're over Wi-Fi you could try splitting your SSID and changing the channel. If there's a lot of traffic at that time of the day using the same channel, this could be causing your speeds to drop. 

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

Let us know if this helps at all 🙂

Its not my wifi.

This is vodafones traffic management shaping my traffic at aroind 18;00 till around 00:00

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@maughanorama Can you please confirm that you're having this issue using only a wired connection? 

What is Vodafone's policy on traffic shaping and traffic management?

I was led to believe there was none...

Yes this is wIred devices only. There is no other wifi router on the same channel as mine. i kniw this as i have done multiple ssitw surveys with a 2.4 / 5ghz scanner. Also i dont see why even if there was overlapping ssids it would effect my network at peak times

I think if its not traffic shaping its because the exchange is over subscribed. 

Numerous other customers have reported the exact same issue, it has nothing to do with Wifi which seems to be the standard Vodafone response / get out clause.

Vodafone appear to enforce very harsh traffic shaping/management to try and negate oversubscribed exchanges in the hope that no customers will notice... rather than invest in infrastructure.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is report it as a fault then give notice to leave under the 28 day minimum speed guarantee.

TJ

@maughanorama Thanks for confirming that information for us.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch, so we can forward your query along to our Broadband team.

Visit any isp forum you will the same complaints , day in day out.

It really seems very clear - poor speeds during the evening can be nothing to do with your wifi, router or line - these things do not change with time - the poor speeds are casued by overloading - I have a 76 M deal - during day it is fine - can have 18 devices streaming video - come the evening only a speed of 10 M (which in a house of 7 isnt enough but alot better than some ) - i really wish they would just come clean and say - it is what it is or we have plans to increase our capacity - not to try and get me to re-boot my router - oh well - might have to start to talk to the family during the evening now.