Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow wi-fi download speed from Vodafone router

mrdps
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Over the past few weeks the performance of our wi-fi signal has dropped to unusable, the speed when tested on a laptop connected via an ethernet cable is 21Mb/s but the wi-fi speed when tested using the same website (broadband speed checker or Which) is about 8Mb/s.  Using the vodafone app on a Ipad, the connection speed to the router is 23Mb/s so dont knwo whats happening to the wi-fi.  This is with the Ipad sat right next to the router.  Shouls say that the contract is for >25Mb/s anyway so we will be asking about a refund every month.

5 REPLIES 5

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your Wi-Fi @mrdps 😞

Have you tried splitting your SSID and changing Wi-Fi channels to help stop traffic on one particular channel?

You can find directions on how to do this below:

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

Please let us know if this helps and don't hesitate to pop back if you're still having any issues, we'll be happy to assist your further 👍

Hi, thanks for this advice very interesting, Ive done most of what you suggested apart from changing the channel names as it wouldnt allow, but after splitting SSID and changing the 2.4Ghz channel to all of the suggested I am still only getting 18Mb/s on my laptop connected via ethernet cable to the router?  Not sure what to try next, thank you.

TJ

Thanks for giving those troubleshooting steps a go @mrdps, I'm sorry to hear they haven't helped 😞

So we can forward your query to our Broadband team for further investigation, I've popped you a private message over with details on how to get in touch.

I'm the same. During the day it's fine but as soon it gets to 5pm it's goes to anything between 3 to 7mbs and I was guarenteed between 17-25mbs. Did the splitting thing and still no joy. Talked to a tech guy on the phone and he asked for screen shots of the speed tester results. Did that and sent a screen shot of the result history and two weeks later i'm still waiting to hear from them. You won't get any joy from them at all. no refund and can't cancel because waiting for them to get back to me has taken it over the 30 day cancelation period

thanks for the advice!