Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Specific Traffic Being Throttled?

Papzzz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else can shed some light on this or whether they have also experienced something similar...

I was away in Germany for a week and came back on 26th August to find that it seems like specific traffic on my connection is being throttled, de-prioritised or managed without warning.

Prior to going away, i didnt see any noticeable issue but since ive been back, its been almost like clockwork.

Between 7-7.30pm and 11pm every day traffic to twitch.tv appears to be specifically targetted and throttled to some extent. Basically, viewing a video/stream at 1080p is no longer possible and even at 720p the video buffers fairly regularly.

I just want to state a point here that at no time is my sync speed or connection affected in any other way that i can see. My download speeds are basically the same and access to other video streaming websites (e.g. Netflix, Amazon etc) are unaffected.

For reference purposes, im on the Superfast 2 connection syncing at around 46Mb/s (this has been the case since day 1) and ive not had any other "issues" to date. Oh and before anyone mentions WiFi, im using a wired connection...

I was initially thinking this was an issue in my area or with my connection but i have seen this happen consistently every day for the last 2+ weeks and it didnt happen once prior to being away. I also have another connection in my house that also uses BT's infrastructure and the issue does not occur on that connection. 

Im pretty sure there is some traffic prioritisation going on here as ive been able to circumvent the issue by masking my traffic at the cost of much higher latency. This is far from ideal as my average ping will be upwards of 300ms but it does show that there is something fishy going on.

Is anyone else having or had a similar issue like this?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Papzzz, we don't throttle our customers usage. As you've advised this only appears when using one site, please provide the address being throttled along with how you're accessing this site (Laptop, tablet, phone) and we'll be happy to take a look into this.

yes vodafone does.

I have been having the exact same issues.

There are numerous threads discussing the same problem and Vodafone have done nothing to fix it. I am now ending my contract early and going with another ISP as this is the only way to sort it.

Good luck to Vodafone if they try to charge me early exit fees.

This is a message to Mark the Moderator - You need to read the 100 other threads from your customers all having this problem.

If you want proof of traffic throttling watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqlPPGcv6Q&t until you actually admit there is a problem you won't get this fixed. 

You have got Multiple people complaining and ZERO being done about it - instread you now have customers trying to leave on mass,  I honestly fail to understand why you are burrying your heads in the sand unless you don't actually have the capability to fix this.

It's 2019 and you are supplying customers with internet from the 90's!

Unbelieveable isn't it. We live in an age of technology where we can fly across the world, and autonomous cars are close to driving themselves, yet Vodafone still can't get usable internet speeds into every customers' home. I've just returned from work, which is just around the corner and served from the same cabinet as my home address, a Fast.com speed test hit 34mbps, minutes ago I returned home and the same test got me an amazing 4.2Mbps. The only difference?, my employer uses a 38Mbps basic fibre connection from Chess Telecom (Business Talk Talk Reseller) and I use.....whatever this passes for!.

I can upload the same video later if you need any more examples :Cry_Laughing:

Although it doesn't affect the sites I use I've noticed some strange results with speedtest.net and fast.com over the past few weeks. If I use the default speedtest server (Vodafone UK, London for me) I get 16Mbps download. If I manually switch the server in some (but not all) cases I get the 60Mbps+ I'd expect. For fast.com I get a ridiculous 6Mbps.

I've noticed similar results for some time these past weeks. Everything seemed to be fixed a few days ago: I was getting full speed on all the sites I tested. However today the low speeds are back again.

I have Vodafone 4G and Vodafone VDSL. I use the 4G for IPv4 and the VDSL for IPv6.

On 4G, github starts off fairly quick but around 500MB of transfer the speed drops to under 100KB/s. This makes it pretty difficult to clone the linux kernel (for example).

After adding a static route to use the VDSL connection, I get a consistently high download speed.

Jay8135
4: Newbie

I'm currently experiencing this issue. Home broadband will not play 1080p/900p twitch streams on WiFi or wired connection. I tried my mobile data on my phone (different provider) and all was good. My broadband is meant to be syncing at 37.2mbps when I tried on mobile data I checked the speed test which was 8mbps. 

I then tried connecting a vpn on my phone and Nvidia shield tv. Connected to UK Manchester server and truth played flawlessly on 1080p/900p. As soon as I turn off vpn it starts buffering. I've contacted live chat who basically said why don't you leave vpn if it works.. not the answer I was looking for I shouldn't need a vpn especially on my current sync speed. Waiting for a call tomorrow at 9.30. Ready to cancel my contract now.