Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unacceptable speeds in the evening

Martyjp
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My router is currently showing I am connected at 41.1MbpsSpeed Router Showing ConnectedSpeed Router Showing Connected

Speedtest.net tells a very different story though 

Speedtest.net resultSpeedtest.net result

The speedtest was carried out with one device connected to the router, and using a wired connection. Switching to WiFi makes no difference and if I tether to my smartphones 4G connection speeds are as you would expect which rules out the device.

It is impossible to stream anything via Netflix or Amazon, youtube stutters even at 240p. Downloading games on Xbox Live, PSN and Steam takes hours, Xbox the other night was showing download speeds of 97Kbps. If I switch on wifi hotspot on my phone and connect to that speeds are fine.

During the day speeds are fine, but once 6pm rolls around everythiung grinds to a hault, after midnight its fine again. You claim that "unlike some other providers, we don’t slow down usage during peak times" yet clearly this is the case here, what is going on?

3 REPLIES 3

4: Newbie

I can only see yellow triangles, no stats, not what you intended I'm sure.

Is the speed dropoff/recovery gradual or instant ?

If gradual it could be down to the amount of users logging on and your cabinet can't cope, nothing Vodafone can do about that, it is an OpenReach problem.

If it is sudden does it match an appliance being switched on/off maybe on a timer ?

My download speed has never varied with the time of day, I very much doubt Vodafone are capping you, it is not their policy to do that.

I can see the stats now.

For a quick connection you have a high ping, I connect at 28 Mbs down and 5.8 Mbs up and my ping is only 10.

(No help to you  I know).

Your upload looks fine though, can you find out if your neighbours are suffering the same problem which would point to the cabinet is just maxed out  at peak hours ?

MrWhite
10: Established
10: Established

I too have been seeing low and/or erratic download speeds which could suggest congestion or possible something to do with the firmware.  Co-incidental possibly but I'm sure it was around the same time I got the latest firmware update.  What version do you have?