main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Unacceptable speeds in the evening

2: Seeker

My router displays 

Capture1.PNG

But when i do a speed test i get a different story 

screenshot from your recomended speed test site

Capture2.PNG

Latency is so high i cant even get a ping test

Capture3.PNG

When i complete the test on another speed test website i get the above results, as you can see nothing near the minimum you state i should get. 

The above test where completed on a wired connection with WIFI turned off, only 1 device was connected to the router and i still get less than 20mbps 

View more options
38 REPLIES
4: Newbie

I am having the same issue in the evenings and vodafone support has been horrendous they closed my case without even telling me

View more options

@gwass Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your broadband speeds. Have you contacted our Broadband Live Chat team to check on the sync speeds to your router.

Also if your router is showing a good download speed and you're using a wired connection, have you made sure to check the Ethernet cable running to your device.

Please let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to pop back us if you're still having trouble.

View more options

Ive got exactly the same problems. Between 6pm and midnight i drop from 66Mbps to 10Mbps.  seems to be a lot of people in the same boat on here and ive just joined the forum !

View more options

Hi,

Im having the same issue, i was promised 76mb when i signed up a couple of months ago, BT Wholesale says 80mb possible.

However its dropped from 56mb to 2.7mb at peak times, which beyond useless for Netflix etc.

Spoke to a Tech2 rep today and basically the said the local exhange is over subscribed, they are aware and its on a list of potential upgrades but it could take upto 6 months to fix!

However as they arent honouring their minimum speed guarentee i could leave without paying a penalty, or stay and possibly receive a partial refund for the slow speed.

View more options

TJ wrote:

@gwass Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your broadband speeds. Have you contacted our Broadband Live Chat team to check on the sync speeds to your router.

Also if your router is showing a good download speed and you're using a wired connection, have you made sure to check the Ethernet cable running to your device.

Please let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to pop back us if you're still having trouble.

Please stop insulting posters with patronising post like this

View more options

Same issue here. 76mbps down to around 17mbps between 7pm and 11pm ish. F**king shambles. It's not like anyone wants to use computer and stream anything after work at night is it.

View more options
3: Seeker

This has been happening to me for months. Sent the speed test screenshots twice. Now waiting on a reply (not too optimistic). Cannot stream at all in the evening and to be honest looking at other threads I can't find anyone who has had their case resolved. I'd like them to just admit they can't do it and let me try BT (not sure if I will have the same issue)  I also think that we should be refunded as they have mis-sold a product. 

View more options

If Vodafone are unable to meet their minimum speed guarantee you can cancel your contract with no penalty. 

When you signed up you should have received an email stating your minimum speed, if it's anything less and you report it they have 28 days to resolve the issue. If not you can leave.

I'm going through the process now and will be leaving in a few days, putting this whole nightmare behind me.

You will have to call the customer service number and complain, they will probably do a line test plusnas about WiFi etc. It's all a smoke screen to try and keep you. 

I had to go through 2/3 people before someone was willing to do anything.

All the Vodafone staff were beyond rude at every stage with the exception of a single level 2 tech guy. 

You can also try the resolver tool

https://www.resolver.co.uk

View more options

I'm using the resolver tool at the moment and have 5 days before escalation. Have you looked into if you change ISP that this would not just happen again?  They're calling this problem on other forums a 'Hot VP' which basically means a blocked pipeline or over subscription of the line, so if we go elsewhere will this not just happen again as they're all using the same cable? (No expert)

View more options

When I spoke to the level 2 tech support the confirmed it was their kit in the exchange (not openreach) that was at fault/over subscribed. 

They had known about it since October, I complained in November but I still had to prove I was one of the many affected.

The cost to install a new switch or whatever he called it was circa £50k so wasn't something they would do over night. 

Cost Vs reward, they estimated it would be 6 months before it got to the front of the work queue.

View more options

Just to follow up on this post i left in december, they disconnected by broadband befor my Virgin connection goes live which was disguessing, they gave me data to tie me oer until virgin was connected 5 days later. I know Vigin has issues but since i moved i have been exteremely happy.  380Mbps  love it 

View more options

@Bombero1975 It's disappointing to hear you're not getting the speeds you should be.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch, so we can make sure that this is raised to our Broadband team, for further assistance.

View more options

Hi,

Just joined the forum to share that I have been experiencing the same issue for the past few months.

I get full speeds during the day 50Mbps Down and 20Mbps up and then by the start of the evening (roughly between 18h and 00h) the speeds drop down to around 8 Mbps. I instantly notice as anything like Netflix or Amazon Video will freeze instantly. Because that is the time that I am home it is like not having an internet connection at all.

I have contacted the support and even though I have emphasized that this only happens in the evenings and that I always run the tests with a computer connected by ethernet cable to the Vodafone router, they still insist in checking wifi channels. I have made all tests possible, multiple sockets, multiple cables, multiple devices. The result is always the same: good internet speeds until the evening comes.

Now that is very clear that Vodafone is over subscribing it will just be easier to change providers as Vodafone is in breach of contract.

It is sad to see a reputable company making a business decision that will greatly impact their customers' lives rendering the service they provide unusable and, even worse denying it wasting everyone's time.

Please see testspeed results attached.

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 22.00.35.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-28 at 02.35.43.png

View more options

@pmrosado I'm sorry to see that you're not getting the speeds that you're expecting and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

We'll be happy to forward your query onto our Broadband team for further investigation. So we can do this, I've sent you over a private message for you to get in touch with us.

View more options

@TJ The broadband team are not going to be able to solve the issue unless they can remove the traffic shaping/traffic mangement that cause throughput restrictionsat peak times.

I noticed last night that my speeds started dropping at 17:00(to a low of 1.9mbps)and at 23:01 they returned to normal, this is good old traffic management in action and on a service advertised as unlimited its completely unacceptable. 

View more options

I've got BT Openreach coming in the next 3 days as they've accepted there's a problem. I've got an idea that they will come in the daytime when everything is fine (38MB) and say there's nothing wrong. But lets just see, I'm trying to beer optimistic. 

View more options

After the issue was escalated through the Social Escalation Hub I got a text message from Vodafone saying:

"Great news!
Following further testing and monitoring of your service we can see that your services are up and running with no issues showing.  
We will set your fault to close in 3 days. "

But of course nothing changed. It was just a classic case of:

Customer: I have a problem.

Vodafone: Great news! You don't!

Because unfortunately I lack the pacience for companies that don't care about customers or quality of service I will just go ahead with changing providers.

@Bombero1975: Those were my thoughts exactly, but I'm less optimistic these days.

View more options

If that's the case I could be following you. I don't have VM in my area so if I go elsewhere won't I just encounter the same problem?

View more options

And how are we going about leaving them if they claim there is nothing wrong? I canny deal with this shambles until July when my contract ends. Need to take them to court I guess.

View more options