Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upload issue

paultwdavey
1: Seeker

Hello

I have an Unlimited 76 package at the moment. When I do a speedtest or look at my router, it says that my upload speed is about 12MBps. All good.

However, if I try to upload something (a video to YouTube as an example), or try to sync my OneDrive at any more than 1MBps, the whole network loses connection until it's finished as though the router isn't able to handle that much traffic being uploaded. And when I say everything stops working, I play games on my PC and Steam signs out, TeamSpeak loses connection and the internet doesn't work. As soon as the upload is stopped everything fires back into life again.

Has anyone else come across this before? OneDrive isn't an issue as you can set the limit for uploading anyway, but when you upload via a browser you can't, so you can have 20 minutes or more of sitting and waiting for it to upload your file.

Thanks
Paul

4 REPLIES 4

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@paultwdavey it's not an issue that I can say we're aware of.

You'd be best off talking to our dedicated Broadband team - you can contact them on 08080 034 515 (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) with lines open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week. 

MrWhite
10: Established
10: Established

I've not come across this, however I don't do much bulk uploading.  Are you seeing this over wired or wireless?  It would be an idea to try both and see if there's any difference.

Also, try the speedtest on thinkbroadband as it gives a little extra info.  Try doing this with and without performing an upload at the same time and see if there's any significant difference.

Lastly, if you've got the Vodafone broadband phone app, try 'boosting' one of your devices that isn't doing the upload and see if this gives it some 'priority' and stops it from locking up.

Hobbit
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Thank you! Have exactly the same problem. Uploads would just take the connection completely down, pings spike up and then "request time out". I can download 5GB file and no problem (just slightly higher pings and of course lower download speeds for other tasks, but it works fine, I can skype and everything). But as soon as I try to upload even 3 MB file and it would take the whole network completely down. The biggest problem are many smaller files.
It does not matter if I am connected by WiFi or directly by cable. My phone on WiFi would take completely down connection for wired laptop if I launch speedtest on my phone and it would start testing upload speeds (which would be something like 17 Mbps). 

Think you've got more than one issue, no surprise but bandwidth is finite so whatever is using the bandwidth ............

Couple of things to try

QOS on the VF router can be used to restrict a device to roughly xx% so if you say set all devices to 80% then no one device can use all of the available bandwidth

If you're uploading files via a browser then Chrome has a bandwidth limiter - just before you set the upload going hit F12 and some options come up

Lastly you could try a bandwidth limiter on your pc https://www.howtogeek.com/347711/how-to-limit-any-applications-bandwidth-on-windows/

Or of course a combination of these options may help