Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone ADSL router with Nighthawk netgear R700p - how to connect and setup

jamiepryer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

hey all,

ive been looking at the community and found some useful info, however not quite what i need, unless im missing something.

I have a vodafone router, with an ADSL connection.

I have a netgear nighthawk R7000p. which i want to use as my main router and NOT vodafone.

Question1:

The nighthawk only has Cat5/RJ45 inputs, however my supply is ADSL. So i assume i need to just use my vodafone router still, just to take the ADSL connection and then pass-though directly to the R700p with a RJ45 connection? 

Question2:

Assuming the above is correct, what is the guide to setting this up on my vodafone router to just be a pass-thought? i know i need to contact support to get my password for the netgear router to use, but i still dont understand what setting to your on the vodafone end so its not being a "router"

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before we go any further.  If you are on Vodafones Superfast 1 or 2, then your connection is (FTTC Fibre to the Cabiner) VDSL and not ADSL.

To have the R7000 fully incharge of your local network you have to abandon the VF modem/router ENTIRELY.  The R7000 though does not have an inbuilt VDSL modem, so you'll need to get your hands on a seperate VDSL modem.

Huawei HG612:  Easily found on ebay, but you do ideally want the latest version, and may (or may not) need to unlock it).  Cheap (from £4 upwards) but there is no SNR adjustment, so you have to wait for it to negotiate it's SNR with the cabinet over a period of possibly a couple of weeks!

Netgear DM200: This should be the device of choice.  It's an okay price, and the UI is nice and clean, but there's a few people on here who have found the setup wizard doesn't work so well as a manual set up.  *Has to be set up as a modem/bridge NOT as a router.

Draytek Vigor 130:  The most expensive option, the UI is really old fashioned, and if buying on ebay you need to ensure that you get the UK version!  That said it despite being a VDSL2 Annex A device, on a noisy line it's probably the device that will get the highest throughput!

Whether set up as a modem or bridge the settings that you need to make on a VDSL modem are pretty minimal, with all the important stuff really taking place on the (R7000) router.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before we go any further.  If you are on Vodafones Superfast 1 or 2, then your connection is (FTTC Fibre to the Cabiner) VDSL and not ADSL.

To have the R7000 fully incharge of your local network you have to abandon the VF modem/router ENTIRELY.  The R7000 though does not have an inbuilt VDSL modem, so you'll need to get your hands on a seperate VDSL modem.

Huawei HG612:  Easily found on ebay, but you do ideally want the latest version, and may (or may not) need to unlock it).  Cheap (from £4 upwards) but there is no SNR adjustment, so you have to wait for it to negotiate it's SNR with the cabinet over a period of possibly a couple of weeks!

Netgear DM200: This should be the device of choice.  It's an okay price, and the UI is nice and clean, but there's a few people on here who have found the setup wizard doesn't work so well as a manual set up.  *Has to be set up as a modem/bridge NOT as a router.

Draytek Vigor 130:  The most expensive option, the UI is really old fashioned, and if buying on ebay you need to ensure that you get the UK version!  That said it despite being a VDSL2 Annex A device, on a noisy line it's probably the device that will get the highest throughput!

Whether set up as a modem or bridge the settings that you need to make on a VDSL modem are pretty minimal, with all the important stuff really taking place on the (R7000) router.

Keith,

thank you so much - I seriously appreacite the time and effort in your reply and thank you for the help :Smiling:

i went ahead and got the DM200 - which now seems to be working.

a few follow up questions please.

1. I was surprised that i need to put the vodafone password into both the DM200 and the R7000. I assumed i would need it for the DM200 to setup as a modem only, then the R7000 would just pickup the internet from there. Not sure if ive maybe done something wrong to need it on both devices?
  2. I believe that vodafone doesnt have ipv6, so i dont do anything here right?
  3. i assume i dont need to do anything with vlan/bridge setting? (im using the DM200 as a modem only and letting the R7000 nighthawk do the routing)

R7000 Questions, not sure if you know about this:
  4. Do you use "Enable Smart Connect"  is it worthwhile?
  5. Do you use dynamic "QOS" is it worthwhile?
  6. Finally, any thoughts on the best 5ghz channel to use?

sorry, one more question.

i do NOT have a home phone line, so i have not been using the DSL filter, my connection goes directly into the DM200.

is this OK? or is the filter actually needed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

1) If everything is set up correctly then you should not need to be putting the Vodafone username and password into the DM200 - that kind of suggests that you may have the DM200 set up as a router and not as a bridge (prefered) or modem - this can cause problems! *It may be something to do with the setup wizard or some prroe wording as you would not be the first to do this!

2) Vodafone do not currently support IPv6, though if you enable it you'll find that you may occasionally get an IPv6 address - though as it's unsupported if you want a quiet life it's probably better turned off!

3) A normal bridge/modem will require to use the VLAN tag "101" on the *service*, ie on the connection between the bridge/modem and the internet. Priority will probably be EITHER "0" or "2".  *This again makes me think you have the DM200 set up as a router!

4) My own router is an Asus, I don't use it's smart connect feature as it forces the auto switching between 20/40 Mhz channels on the 2.4GHz band, which can trip up internet streamed content when a dynamic switch takes place!

5) I use an adaptive QOS with a customized profile, though the only time it ever really kicks in, is when I'm downloading files - at which time it gives priority to streamed A/V content.  *The 4K TVs are king rather than my downloads!

6) We have some tiny EDI-MAX MU-MIMO AC1200 dongles plugged into the PCs which only really work on Band 1 of the 5GHz channels, so we are forced to use channel 36!  As 5GHz WiFi propogates so poorly there really are very few issues with sticking to that one fixed channel!

7) Even without a phone plugged in you really either need a filtering faceplate or filters plugged into EVERY socket!

Thanks!! very helpful - yes i did get the DM200 as you recommended.

final question - on my Netgear router (R7000p) im now no longer seeing any attached devices.

when i look at the Internet port of the router (which is connected to the DM200 in modem mode) i get these results, does this seem correct?

MAC AddressA0:40:A0:xx:xx:xx

IP Address0.0.0.0 

ConnectionPPPoE

IP Subnet Mask0.0.0.0 

Domain Name Server0.0.0.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

That does not look right!

So I'll give you a page in a moment so you can check that you've gone about it the right way, but first beforeyou do anything else use the facility on both the modem and the router that allows you to save their settings!

When you've done that RESET them both - you can always restore them using the details you saved earlier.

Now follow the instructions here:  https://kb.netgear.com/30773/How-to-set-DM200-into-bridge-modem-only-mode.

Let us know how you get on!

sizhar
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Guys

I have a similar issue. I am on Vodafone Superfast 2. I am looking to get Netgear R8000P due to WiFI coverage. Can I by-pass WiFi modem provided by Vodafone and only configure to use Netgear R8000P?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Netgear R8000P is a router only, it has no built-in modem!  It's also probably not your best bet if you are looking for range, and in order to achieve it's high headline, speeds would also need different WiFi adapters than many devices come with as standard!  Regards range there are cheaper devices out there with better range!

Thanks Keith

can you suggest an alternate device which has a build in Modem and have a range of 3500sqft plus

thanks