Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband availability

graham72
4: Newbie

I've been a bit perplexed as to why I can get vdsl from every ISP I've checked with except Vodafone. I thought that Vodafone must be installing their LLU equipment in every exchange they want to service - even though that would be very expensive as the old Cable and Wireless equipment is only in a very small of exchanges. They'd be 'upgrading' 100s of exchanges.

What I've found out from a Vodafone shop today is that the online checker can give wrong information. Doune, a small town near me, has Vodafone Fibre even though it only has no LLU equipment (not even Talk Talk)  in the exchange. Doune actually got Vodafone fibre just before BT users got it!

So, in summary, Vodafone is in every area with fibre with and their  LLU equipment in the exchange and should also be available in others where they'll piggy back on BT. I guess, in exchanges like this, it's doing exactly what Plusnet etc do. The call centre in Glasgow now has a request from the shop to enable a VF fibre node on my cabinet. Hopefully this'll go through to Open Reach and I can get Vodafone Fibre soon.

6 REPLIES 6

Soofla
10: Established
10: Established

I'm ready for someone to disagree, however I believe you have been misinformed.

Vodafone are indeed installing their own equipment at exchanges and are not relying on other companies equipment and this is indeed why it is not available at every single fibre cabinet.

Now it is possible that this is a "paper exercise" at some cabinets (strategic deals etc) it is certainly not a case of "where there is fibre, there is Vodafone".

I'm more than happy for somebody to tell me this isn't the case - this is based off a couple of business suppliers who give us all the options at any one exchange when we are selling fibre and lease dline products to customers. Many times we have been limited on just who can supply the connection - we use Vodafone connections less than other ISP's not because of costing or reliability, simply because it is not available everywhere.

The thing is no one seems to know!

What is correct is that Doune

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESDOU

doen't have Vodafone/Cable and Wireless/Bulldog LLU in the exchange yet you can get Fibre from Vodafone there so they must be piggy backing on BT.

I think, all exchanges with their LLU equipment (10% in Scotland) are obviously enabled whilst deals are done with BT on other exchanges.

If they are to to put LLU in every exchange they're going to be busy

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/llu/bulldog

or perhaps they'll just target larger towns and cities but that doesn't tally with Doune which is small.

Does anyone from  Vodafone know?

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @graham72

There may be no fibre connection from the cabinet to the local exchange for vodafone.

It's something that may be available in the future, you'll just need to check on the Broadband home page and type in your postcode to check in the future.

Thanks

The cabinet isn't full. It's a question of Vodafone either putting their LLU equipment in the exchange or piggybacking on BT. More likely the later.

It's really down to what Vodafone want to do as a business.  I'm sure Vodafone will ideally want to have their own equipment in the exchange as it gives them more control over the connection/bandwidth etc.  However, I'm sure there's nothing stopping them purchasing bandwidth from BT Wholesale and piggy backing on their network.