Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Connect Router issues

abates85
4: Newbie

My vodafone broadband was installed today and setting up my home ive come across the following issues.

1. My Laptop connected on the Wifi 5Ghz channel cannot see my Server connected by LAN Cable, if i disable the 5ghz band i can see the server fine but it reduces the functionality of the router.

2. I cannot connect to a device via port forwarding using the external router IP from within the network. however i can access the device from outside the network.

3. My fibre broadband speed is significantly slower (28MB) than the service i was recieving with sky (40MB) even thoughi was promised full (76MB) speed

has anyone else had these issues and can provide assistance ?

138 REPLIES 138

I'm already troubleshooting with 2nd line. Thank you 

Hi @markdotjames

We're going to look into this and we'll be in touch soon with an update. 

Thanks, 

Will
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @markdotjames

Does the issue with Plex only happen within your LAN (Local Area Network)? Or is the server only unreachable from outside of your network?

Thanks.

Hi. I have been with BT Broadband for about 8 years or so and only changed as vodafone offered a much cheaper deal.

The basic internet functions work OK on all devices, however my wireless laptop will not communicate with my wired desktop. I could have live with that problem, although not great, if it wasn't for the fact that my printer is connected to the desktop and therefore I am unable to print from my laptop. This was never a problem with my previous internet provider.

Reading various post on the forum, I conclude that the vodafone router will not perform networking functions between wire and wireless connections and obviously needs improvement with a decent firmware upgrade.

Could the Tech team please give and indication when this upgrade will occur or have I misread the situation and there is a fix that I can perform.

ps. I have tried only using the 2.4 GHZ frequency and various other suggestions but all to no avail.

In the 18 months, that we have had out VF Connect router we have had no problems with devices talking to each other connected to the network regardless of wired or Wi-Fi connections. Makes me wonder if there is an issue with the hardware in later iterations of the router.

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Ade963

If your printer is wireless, you'll need to ensure it's enabled to connect with multiple devices. 

Hi Beca,

The printer is not a wireless printer but is connected to the desktop computer through a USB drive.

What use to happen was that the laptop connected though the home network to the wired desktop and the instruction to print was passed onto the printer.

Unfortunately that is now not happening, any ideas would be welcome to sort this problem.

Thank you.

@Ade963

Not enjoying this router either, but your symptoms also fit this scenario:
If you enable "wi-fi 2" (whatever ssid you give it), then this creates a "Guest" network. The intention of a guest network is restricted access to the rest of the network. ie, for guests on this wifi to have free access to the Internet, without intranet security concerns. This router does not allow changing that privacy restriction. So if you've enabled wi-fi 2, and your laptop is connecting to that wifi, then it should not be able to see your desktop (regardless of IPv4/6, though that may be your problem too - can you ping the IP address of your destop from your laptop?).
Don't know if that helps, but it fits your symptoms.
I can confirm that my laptop connected to my "wi-fi 1" (happens to be split ssid, but that should be irrelevant unless you want separate 2.4 and 5Ghz ssids) I can connect fine to my wired devices. If I reconnect to the guest "wi-fi 2" I cannot connect to wired devices (desktop/nas etc, or of course any other wieless attached devices either). By design, and I have no significant complaint about this part of the router.

The Vodafone Router is plagued with issues with regards to wireless/wired networked connectivity. The current workaround is to not use the 5GHZ wireless which is laughable.

What is more concerning is Vodafones stance that their Router works fine but does not support wireless or more than 10 devices.

I have now been with Vodafone for 18 months and it has not got any better.

I would love to discuss Router optimization oportunities unfortunately I still struggle to have basic internet service. ADSL line now on 6Mpbs and currently I have no service. Technician is expected by Friday.