Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Home Broadband / Vodafone Connect

dynamick
2: Seeker
Hi there. Firstly the speeds and setup on my broadband have been great, so has most of the customer support I have had with initial gremlins on setup

I do have two big headaches though. I have a zyxcel nsa325 network drive which I store music, photos, movies etc on and On my old plusnet modem I just plugged it in the ethernet port and my Hitachi tv saw it. Now although the drive is visible through my PC and is visible wordlessly on the home network, the drive is not seen by my TV *unless the drive is plugged directly into the the ethernet port on the TV. So what setting am missing, there is no help or suggestions on the net, with it being a new modem there is no firmware 6 for it either.

Secondly, when I signed up for vodafone home broadband I was told that I would get 10 email addresses too, I have no idea where they are or indeed the pop/imap.plus.net settings for the addresses or the settings so I can send emails on my current email address.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance

Mick
373 REPLIES 373

MonkeyJabba
4: Newbie
Now I'm using my own router, I've had no drop outs, my transfer speeds around my home are about four times quicker (so backing up iPhone pics to my NAS is a quick job) and life is generally peachy. Shame, the VF router on paper isn't terrible...

Boyo1927
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Update on my complaint. Tbf had a call from a chap from relations who was very nice. However up shot is because my line is not showing the drop outs i am experiencing vf do not believe i have a complaint.

Before getting a deadlock letter o have agreed to provide evidence such as diary of drop outs and screen shots and wifi channel changing. Wifi channels i have tried but will do again. Drop outs are both wired and wifi which makes the fault with the router.

Vf wont release me from my contract so those of you who have had this offerred can you confirm why they would for you?

Has anyine else has drop outs and vf said they cannot see them? I have them daily but they state not many?

Vodafone could see my drop outs and that the router was at fault

They didnt see all of them, but could see around 40% - 50% and did offer to release me from my contract.

Although ive now identified and sorted the router so im have 0 drop outs. its been up for 3 days since i restarted it.

To test it, i undid what ive done and it almost immediately starts its hourly screwups

fremenos
Guys. I'm sharing my pain with you. I had Openreach engineer to fix my Line and he managed to fix it but Vodafone will not give me my PPPoE credentials to use my own router.

I just wonder. Did any one of you tried to Clone MAC address of VF router? I'm not sure how they authenticate that crap black shoe box with their equipment but it might be worth trying ay?

@fremenos. Sorry to hear about your pain. We are a large group that have also had no success with this. Just waiting for the contract to be up and then moving off somewhere else.

My 2 cents, if VF offered to give me broadband for free, I would NOT take it.

Line disconnects, speed dropping, refusing to allow use of own router. These are my top three complaints. All fall on deaf ears

>>Line disconnects, speed dropping, refusing to allow use of own router. These are my top three complaints. All fall on deaf ears

Thanks for this info.

I was tempted by the £23/month offer but will look elsewhere, I don't need this kind of hassle from my utilities!

@Lou0, glad I could help!

I wish I'd looked into it further before I signed up.

Did I mention that the top level complaints team promise to call you in a day or two and never do?

A guy called Dan Brown in the Leeds office (his colleagues grassed him up, LOL ).

@fremenos "Did any one of you tried to Clone MAC address of VF router?"

Yeah, this relates to something I raised as a possibility a while back.  I haven't gone into it any further because everything that can be turned off is off in my router and I connect another router downstream - I give the equipment an easy life and I'm satisfied with the performance of the connection.  And I'm lazy.

What we need is a embedded Linux "VDSL sniffer" design that can log all the traffic when you turn on the VF modem...  I did wonder if that could be achieved with two modem-router boxes (connected back to back) running some kind of openWRT to create a transparent link, like a "man-in-the-middle" if you will.  Since you're downstream of your provider network connection and only monitoring traffic that you have originated in your own home there should be no legal impediment :smileywink:

Or VF could just give us login details.  Sigh.  I did read somewhere that someone thought that the real reason for not doing so is because you'd then be able to get the maximum speed, even if you've only paid for the lesser rate - ring of truth or myth...?

This thread has been an interesting read. I too am having issues with remote storage, however mine is that my 4TB USB hard drive is not recognised by the Vf Connect. My Asus router can use it fine, so I want to start using this. Also the Vf Connect's support of VPN's is useless!

The really interesting thing that may be helpful here is that when I called the Vf sales team to sign up for home broadband, I specifically asked if I could use my own router instead of theirs. Their response was "We don't recommend it as we would not be able to provide any support, but you are allowed to use your own router". I then asked if they would give me the information I would need to enter in to my router and they said "Yes, just give us a call once you're ready to set up your router and we will give you the information". I'll be giving Vf a call soon as I'm not wasting £100 on a hard drive just because their firmware is rubbish.

Doesn't matter what you were told in the past - you won't be getting the details now. If you're still within your cancellation period then take that option, as it is the only way you'll be using your own equipment.