Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Router Connect

KellyM1996
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, 

We have a Vodafone Router Connect. Recently, some devices have become disconnected and canot be reconnected becuase the router is not coming up in the wifi settings. Its quite unusual actvity - some of the devices then reconnect randomly and work again. Can anyone shed some light on this? Its quite frustrating. We've tried turning the router on and off, and even though the green lights successfully light up each time, we are still having problems.

Thanks

Kelly

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

I do not use Vodafone Broadband but with mine I've found either changing wireless channel and or splitting the frequencies to 2.4gzh and 5gzh and then choose each to see if things improve. 

Some devices like to be connected to one or the other I find. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply.

This was working for a short while until this weekend again. We've diagnosed that the devices which can connect to the router are compatible with 5GHz whereas devices like the laptops and PC's rely upon the 2.4GHz frequency. Do you have any idea why these devices (the 2.4GHz devices) cant connect to the router or what could be interferring with the router because surely all devices should be able to connect, especially when both the frequencies have worked in the past, and still do on the slight occasion.

Its a real mystery - could the 2.4GHz frequency be overloaded or be blocked by some household device?

Any help on this would be great!! Thanks :Smiling: 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@KellyM1996 - Generally new devices (phones, laptops etc) will now work on the 5GHz frequency, however many older devices aren’t compatible with the 5GHz frequency.

These older devices need to connect to 2.4GHz.

It is worth noting that the 2.4GHz frequency is more prone to interference from household appliances, such as microwaves and baby monitors.

Do you know why the devices that require the 2.4GHz wont connect to the router even though it has 2.4GHz enabled?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@KellyM1996 - There could be interference in the area that’s preventing connection such as CCTV or the other appliances as mentioned above

Also, having your router in a cupboard can block the signal as well.

Have those devices ever connected to this router using the 2.4GHz frequency in the past? If so, try changing your router settings back to how they were when these first connected.

Yeh its strange, we've had the router for a couple of months now and we've only recently been experiencing this problem.

The router can be reached easily with good signal from all areas of the house.

The devices have been connected to the router using 2.4GHz in the past and even now sometimes, then thats it, it just goes off and the router no longer lists in the wifi settings.

We done factory resets and tested all aspects of the router through the vodafone router page and everything looks ok (even though its not)

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@KellyM1996

What devices are experiencing these issues?

If they've recently had a software update, it may be a possible bug fix that's needed.

Most recent devices carry a WPS setting. If you enable this on the device and press the WPS button on the router, this will automatically connect the devices without entering a password. 

This may fix the issue for you, let us know how you get on.

We have a Dell laptop, a Dell PC, an iphone 4, a Nokia Lumiea and a Windows tablet - all arent connecting.

iphone 5, iphone 5c and an old Dell laptop all can connect ok -by 5ghZ as can be seen on the Vodafone router page. 

We tried pressing the button alongside the router and connecting them that way but still no luck.

Do you know what details are required and where these details can be obtained if we connect a different router up? The problem may be with the router itself.

For our main Dell PC, we use a netgear adapther to connect to wfif, I don't think this would have interferance as its working ok and always has been

KellyM - the routers vodafone supply are absolute rubbish.  This is most likely your problem.

Have you seperated out the 2Gz and 5Gz ?  Do you have the latest firmware on the router ?   Have you disabled uPNP ? 

There threads all over this forum with people having the exact same issues.  Personally - I use a better router to supply my WiFi and attach to that then have a cable that attachs to the vodafone peice of plastic and I have all the wifi switched off on my vodafone.  That works best for me and saves me having to even deal with such an awful piece of kit.

The only response you will get on this forum will be to get in touch with the broadband team and a link to do as much.   So to expediate that your probably best just giving them a call.   There isa  shortage of technical skilled staff who actually look at htis forum.

Good luck.   Search the forum though and I'm sure you may find other hints from people as to how to work around these limitations you have hit.