main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Vodafone Router - WiFi issues? Change Settings?

1: Seeker

Hi all

I am aware of the various discussion around the Vodafone supplied router and its poor WiFi performance for some users.

My fibre broadband went live on 2/12/17, so I am still within the 10 days of "finding the best speed". Router says it gets 54Mb (which is great!), MacBook Pro via WiFi gets 50Mb (again, great!), but the FireSTick gets around half of 50Mb and my iPhone only gets 10Mb (not so great). All devices are within 5 metres of the router and connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi as the speeds on the 5GHz WiFi are somewhat slower.

Are there any settings on the router (or the iPhone, or the Fire Stick) I can try to get better speeds across all devices? Or would a new router modem fix this? My previous BT Smart Hub managed to feed all devices at roughly the same speed.

Many thanks.

Resali

View more options
4 REPLIES

Okay, ignore my earlier post, I got this wrong.

It appears that I can get full speed (in my case 50Mb) on all devices if they connect to the router via 5GHz. However, connected to 2.4GHz all the devices only get around 10Mb (on least crowded channel). All devices are within 5 metres of the router.

Does this mean the router's 2.4GHz signal is rubbish or is there anyhting else that could be wrong? Previously my BT Smart Hub was able to deliver full speed on both ferquencies, which makes me think it's Vodafone's router being the problem.

Thanks.

Resali

View more options

@Resali Glad to hear you're getting good speeds on all of your devices now 👍

The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds.

If all of your devices are within a good distance, you shouldn't have any more issues.

Please don't hesitate to get back to us with any further questions, we'll be more than happy to help.

View more options

@TJ

What about devices that can only connect on 2.4GHz? Should they not get similar speeds to the 5GHz devices given that all devices are within 5 metres of the router with no thick walls etc in the way?

View more options

@Resali The 5GHz could be seen as a more consistent channel, as with more devices connecting 2GHz this could potentially cause interference.

If you have the option to change your WiFi channels, this would help to see which helps better with your speeds - you'd then be able to pick the best one at the time.

You can do this by logging into your router menu, then follow the below steps:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

To then change your WiFi channel, you'd complete the following:

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it has made.

View more options