main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Vodafone router as modem only

4: Newbie

Hi Neil

Sorry, only just seen this - I didn't get an alert for some reason.

I've attached anonymised screenshots of the config of both devices - hope this helps.

All the best.

12: Established

@Neil_100 wrote:

Hi RomeoJuliet

I also have a new VF router and a great Orbi set-up which worked well with my previous Virgin modem.

I've managed to get my User ID and password from the VF contact centre.

I thought it would be simple enough to get into the router settings and disable the router and just use it as a modem which the Orbi can connect to...but I can't get that to work.

Could you share the steps you took to get yourOrbi to work with the VF router?

FYI I've aslo asked Paul_NI.

Thanks

You can't use the Vodafone box as a modem only.  You can disable the Wifi  and then use a different Wifi access point which should have an ethernet cable connection to the Vodafone router.  DHCP should be enabled on the Vodafone router and not enabled on the Wifi access points.

View more options

Hi

My solution - which has worked perfectly since I set it up 8 months ago - does effectively use the VF device as a modem. DHCP is enabled on the VF router but it serves a single address... the WAN IP of the Orbi. The VF router uses one private network range (10.0.0.0) and the Orbi uses another (192.168.0.0). The Orbi also has DHCP enabled and serves addresses to the remainder of the LAN. I know this is double NATting but I've experinced no problems with routing, ports or VPNs. The network is rock solid and I have finally, after years of trying, solved all my WiFi problems.

View more options
2: Seeker

I currently use Virgin media operating the router as a modem to Airport Extreme.  However, I have cancelled my Virgin contract and have signed up for Vodafone Broadband.  The service is being installed on 31 Jan.  Googling around on how to replicate my current system has led me to this discussion.  I am now concerned that I have made a mistake in choosing Vodafone.  I have an older property and need the power of the Airport Extreme and that it offers me  Time Capsule for backups. 

Is it possible to use the Vodafone router linked by an ethernet cable to my Extreme to provide wifi to my house?  I dont have the router or a service yet, just planning ahead. 

View more options

@gavin_tc wrote:
Is it possible to use the Vodafone router linked by an ethernet cable to my Extreme to provide wifi to my house?  I dont have the router or a service yet, just planning ahead. 

Yes, I would think so. To avoid double NAT, I would connect the Vodafone router to a LAN port on the Etreme rather than the WAN port The main problem with the Vodafone router is the poor Wifi, which you could turn off.

If the Extreme does PPPoE you could buy a 2nd hand unlocked HG612 from ebay, and use that instead of the Vodafone router.

View more options

Thanks I have bought a HG621 from ebay, so hopefully I will be able to get this up and running quickly.  

View more options

I tried to use A known internet provider old router and later  Linksys WRT MU-MIMO router in Bridge Mode.

It works. It does VPN and all other bits you wish for.

I didn't change anything on Voodoo Router. On secound router I selected Bridge. However Voodoo broadband itself isn't reliable. Throughput traffic periodically failing and reconnects to Cable and Wireless Voodoo Hub.  On other hand Bridge Mode resolved Jitter and Lag in games problem

View more options
1: Seeker

Hi, this thread has encouraged me to maybe get an Apple Extreme as I live in an big old house with a Vodafone router and my kids are giving me endless grief about the crappy Wifi.  So did your plan to connect up work out and did you need to use the HG612?  Thanks

View more options

Here are 3 problems.

Voodooo WiFi router is not suitable for gaming for many reasons. It can't handle multiple users

You need a router with MU-MIMO... Google it.

You wil need WiFi range extender. Roughly many routers wouldn't go further than 5-6 metres from device

View more options

I cancelled the Vodafone installation as Vodafone messed up the installation.  Having  taken 2 separate days off work and confirmed at 0800 hrs on both days, they then failed to turn up for the instal.  I know it is not Vodafone doing the instal, but on both occasions, they knew a few days beforehand of the change and failed to inform me and bizarely confirmed to me on both dates it was going ahead.  So, I have gone back to Virgin for the time being. 

View more options
3: Seeker

@Neil_100 wrote:

Hi RomeoJuliet

I also have a new VF router and a great Orbi set-up which worked well with my previous Virgin modem.

I thought it would be simple enough to get into the router settings and disable the router and just use it as a modem which the Orbi can connect to...but I can't get that to work.

Thanks

Please help....

I'd like to put my Vodafone Huawei router in bridge mode.

Could you please tell me where I need to enter this information and how to set to bridge mode.

Thank you in advance 

Stuart

View more options

@Suitstusir wrote:

@Neil_100 wrote:

Hi RomeoJuliet

Thanks

Please help....

Could you please tell me where I need to enter this information and how to set to bridge mode.

Thank you in advance 

Stuart

The Vodafone router can not be configured to run in bridge mode!!!  For a modem an HG612 is a possibility. Some of the Zyxel routers will work in bridge mode.

View more options

@machare wrote:

@Suitstusir wrote:

@Neil_100 wrote:

Hi RomeoJuliet

Thanks

Please help....

Thank you in advance 

Stuart

The Vodafone router can not be configured to run in bridge mode!!!  For a modem an HG612 is a possibility. Some of the Zyxel routers will work in bridge mode.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know of a published list of Routers that can be put into bridge mode with Vodafone Broadband.

View more options

@Suitstusir  I doubt there is any such list. Why would you want to acquire a router which can be put into bridge mode when it is likely cheaper to buy a VDSL2 modem such as the DrayTek Vigor 130,    the Netgear DM200, or the Zyxel P-871M.  - Not that I have tried any of them.

What are you trying to achieve?

View more options

@machare wrote:

@Suitstusir  I doubt there is any such list. Why would you want to acquire a router which can be put into bridge mode when it is likely cheaper to buy a VDSL2 modem such as the DrayTek Vigor 130,    the Netgear DM200, or the Zyxel P-871M.  - Not that I have tried any of them.

What are you trying to achieve?

I have recently installed 3 x Google Wifi devices in my house. In order for the Google WiFi system to run faultlessly I need to put my modem/router into bridge mode. My modem/router is the Huawei hhg2500 and Vodafone are my service provider. 

I don't know much about this sort of stuff so if it can be simply solved by buying a different modem/router and easily configured that would be great. Just need to have a recommendation and instructions on how to configure. 

Any help will be much appreciated. 

View more options

Please use Vodafone equipment. You don't know what you are writing about and any advice would make things worse 

View more options

@Mozambezi wrote:

Please use Vodafone equipment. You don't know what you are writing about and any advice would make things worse 

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please expand on you're answer?

Do you work for Vodafone?

Are you saying it can't be done or that I don't have the knowledge/skill to achieve the result I'm after. 

Regards

View more options
5: Helper

With a little knowledge it's possible to create a kind of bridge using the Vodafone modem router, but it all gets much more complex when you start playing around with Mesh networks.  So you can't put the Vodafone modem router into the state that you would need in order to connect it to a google WiFi Mesh system and have it working properly.

You may be able to connect from the Vodafone modem/router to your google WiFi via an ethernet cable (you are not going to connect the two via WiFi)  and have your network go though a double NAT process - this may work, or it may fall over (or just cause unacceptable lag).

You would be far better off getting an xDSL modem and using the PPoE settings on the Google WiFi along with your VodaFone username and password that would need to request!

*Just a regular user who has years of experience playing with networks!

View more options

wrote:I have recently installed 3 x Google Wifi devices in my house. In order for the Google WiFi system to run faultlessly I need to put my modem/router into bridge mode. My modem/router is the Huawei hhg2500 and Vodafone are my service provider. 

I don't know much about this sort of stuff so if it can be simply solved by buying a different modem/router and easily configured that would be great. Just need to have a recommendation and instructions on how to configure. 

Any help will be much appreciated. 

Thank you. I understand. I would have thought that a 2nd hand ebay HG612 modem would be your cheapest option and the easiest to get working.  There are a couple for £11 or less.  A router such as the TP Link TD9970 in bridge mode might also work if you set Vlan=101, but I don't see an option to set 802.1p to 2 which you might also need.  Do you by any chance have any other VDSL equipment perhaps from a previous isp.

View more options

@KeithAlger wrote:

With a little knowledge it's possible to create a kind of bridge using the Vodafone modem router, but it all gets much more complex when you start playing around with Mesh networks.  So you can't put the Vodafone modem router into the state that you would need in order to connect it to a google WiFi Mesh system and have it working properly.

You may be able to connect from the Vodafone modem/router to your google WiFi via an ethernet cable (you are not going to connect the two via WiFi)  and have your network go though a double NAT process - this may work, or it may fall over (or just cause unacceptable lag).

You would be far better off getting an xDSL modem and using the PPoE settings on the Google WiFi along with your VodaFone username and password that would need to request!

*Just a regular user who has years of experience playing with networks!

Thank you once again for your reply and sharing your experience. 

Just to recap from my previous posts.....

1) I already have my Primary Google Wifi device connected to my Vodafone supplied modem/router with an Ethernet cable and I have disabled the Vodafone modem/routers WiFi.

2) The system isn't very stable and I've been told to put Vodafone modem/router into bridge mode.

3) Replies on this thread say that there's no way to put it into bridge mode.

4) I already have my username and password that I requested from Vodafone.

I asked on this forum if there was a way of simply buying a different modem/router that can be put into bridge mode and was told to stick to Vodafone equipment.

You've suggested an xdsl modem might do the job. Can you recommend one and does it still have to be a Vodafone one?

Regards

View more options