main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Vodafone router as modem only

4: Newbie

Hi Neil

Sorry, only just seen this - I didn't get an alert for some reason.

I've attached anonymised screenshots of the config of both devices - hope this helps.

All the best.

Neil_100 wrote:

Hi RomeoJuliet

I also have a new VF router and a great Orbi set-up which worked well with my previous Virgin modem.

I've managed to get my User ID and password from the VF contact centre.

I thought it would be simple enough to get into the router settings and disable the router and just use it as a modem which the Orbi can connect to...but I can't get that to work.

Could you share the steps you took to get yourOrbi to work with the VF router?

FYI I've aslo asked Paul_NI.

Thanks

You can't use the Vodafone box as a modem only.  You can disable the Wifi  and then use a different Wifi access point which should have an ethernet cable connection to the Vodafone router.  DHCP should be enabled on the Vodafone router and not enabled on the Wifi access points.

View more options

Hi

My solution - which has worked perfectly since I set it up 8 months ago - does effectively use the VF device as a modem. DHCP is enabled on the VF router but it serves a single address... the WAN IP of the Orbi. The VF router uses one private network range (10.0.0.0) and the Orbi uses another (192.168.0.0). The Orbi also has DHCP enabled and serves addresses to the remainder of the LAN. I know this is double NATting but I've experinced no problems with routing, ports or VPNs. The network is rock solid and I have finally, after years of trying, solved all my WiFi problems.

View more options
2: Seeker

I currently use Virgin media operating the router as a modem to Airport Extreme.  However, I have cancelled my Virgin contract and have signed up for Vodafone Broadband.  The service is being installed on 31 Jan.  Googling around on how to replicate my current system has led me to this discussion.  I am now concerned that I have made a mistake in choosing Vodafone.  I have an older property and need the power of the Airport Extreme and that it offers me  Time Capsule for backups. 

Is it possible to use the Vodafone router linked by an ethernet cable to my Extreme to provide wifi to my house?  I dont have the router or a service yet, just planning ahead. 

View more options

gavin_tc wrote:
Is it possible to use the Vodafone router linked by an ethernet cable to my Extreme to provide wifi to my house?  I dont have the router or a service yet, just planning ahead. 

Yes, I would think so. To avoid double NAT, I would connect the Vodafone router to a LAN port on the Etreme rather than the WAN port The main problem with the Vodafone router is the poor Wifi, which you could turn off.

If the Extreme does PPPoE you could buy a 2nd hand unlocked HG612 from ebay, and use that instead of the Vodafone router.

View more options

Thanks I have bought a HG621 from ebay, so hopefully I will be able to get this up and running quickly.  

View more options

I tried to use A known internet provider old router and later  Linksys WRT MU-MIMO router in Bridge Mode.

It works. It does VPN and all other bits you wish for.

I didn't change anything on Voodoo Router. On secound router I selected Bridge. However Voodoo broadband itself isn't reliable. Throughput traffic periodically failing and reconnects to Cable and Wireless Voodoo Hub.  On other hand Bridge Mode resolved Jitter and Lag in games problem

View more options