main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

Vodafone throttling? WiFi and Ethernet speeds

7: Helper

fast.com on default settings gives me 7.9 Mbps (multithreaded), but set it to use 1 thread....
1.0 Mbps

There must be some mega congestion in the network.  Shame that VF don't care about their customers.

View more options
2: Seeker

Same issue as above wonder how long this has been going on?

View more options
4: Newbie

exactly the same issues with mine. getting 10mb on speed tests and netflix / iplayer and IPTV constantly streaming. Was absolutely fine 6 months ago. Its beyond a joke now.

Vodafone what are you doing to sort this out?

View more options

when i speak to the people to cancel they just tell me well we can see 80mb coming into your property therefore we are doing everything in our contract and early termination fees would apply...

It is an absolute joke as the service is appaling. I have never experienced such a piece of rubbish broadband in my life, if you are thinking of getting vodafone broadband do not waste your time.

View more options

VF plan do nothing.   They will continue to take your money each month and in return they will provide a cr@ppier and cr@ppier service month after month.

View more options

The fact that they don't even reply to these threads speaks volumes. Absolutely no offer to problem solve or even interact with their customers. 

I'm in the process of going formal complaint route and if needed, ombudsman services. I am having out of my contract unless VF can rectify the speeds (which we know they can't).

View more options

I am so glad i found this thread - i've had to join -- just to say...

I'm having exactly the same problem NETFLIX and FAST.com (and single thread speed test sites) - are showing vodafone giving only 6mb on a 50mb connected router. So its impossible to watch 4k Netflix.

I've done a lot of testing - and youtube, amazon prime - both stream 4k fine. Actually downloading files / Just using the internet - seems ok.

The problem seems to ONLY be netflix and speed tests with single thread downloads.

The real problem is the online chat support - why is there no ticket system to keep a dialogue of whats been tried. I've never known a company just rely on "new" online chat requests -- so you have to keep explaining the problem, going through the same tests, its so frustrating. Vodafone - it's a joke!

You guys who say you are getting full speed netflix using a vpn - can you say which -- as the ones i've tried havent improved my netflix speeds.

Thanks!

View more options

Well guys today my speed is back to normal. Now getting 50mb on Netflix and fast.com. Thinkbroadband single thread speedtests are back at 49mb almost the same as the multithread speedtest at 50mb.

The only thing that has changed is that today I moved my isp to BT - same router, same phone line and same telephone exchange.

There clearly is something wrong in the Vodafone backhaul somewhere. I gave up talking to their tech 2 team and jumping though hoops of sending them endless speedtests for them to keep moving the goalposts and talking the biggest load of uninformed nonsense I’ve ever heard. I can’t make up my mind it it’s deliberate or they are totally inept. 

Do yourself a favour and leave Vodafone if you want a normal service

View more options

The only thing that has changed is that today I moved my isp to BT - same router, same phone line and same telephone exchange.

Oooof. Almost had me excited then for a resolution 

View more options

I did exactly the same. Moved to BT and all working fine. Must be serious issues with Vodafone. I ageee with you. Everyone should move cause it’s a vodafone fault for sure. 

View more options

The frustrating part is that they deny there’s an issue and no matter what you say you get stonewalled. 

View more options

Were you in or out of contact when you moved?

View more options

I was still in contract and had a few months to go however BT are offering £100 gift card and there’s over £100 quidco cashback so that more than covers any exit fees

View more options

Same issue here with Netflix and fast.com since November. I've called Vodafone 3 times, obviously had to explain the situation every time.

As soon as I use Opera browser (built-in VPN) I get full speed again. Also, there is no issue at all using my phone as a hotspot, which has Vodafone sim card in it LOL

I never thought that I would miss TalkTalk again...

It has to be a way to get rid of this contract without being charged with etf?!?!

View more options

##~## it looks like the issues are gone ( for now )

Can anyone else run a tracert to twitch and let me know the response times you get ? I was getting over 200ms on some hops which caused the buffering....

By god Vodafone whatever you have done leave it alone!

View more options

Attachments

Still not fixed here.

Ive got another strange addition to add to this problem...

In our town, me and my brother-in-law have vodafone - and both confirm fast.com is giving 6mb max (and no 4K Netflix)

But... 8 miles away a friend is getting amazing fast.com results on voda. Just as fast as the Speedtest.com speeds.

So either - the routing is different for different people. (I’ll read how to check routing - and report back tomorrow)

Or - they give newer customers better speeds for so long. 

When i (and bro-in-law) first joined - we both checked fast.com and speeds were great.

it is only last few months really it’s dropped.

View more options

open a command prompt (on windows, hit the start button and type cmd followed by enter)

in the new window type tracert www.fast.com followed by enter and then wait for it to finish.  Examples shown below.  The smaller the 3 sets of times per hop the better.  Ideally <9ms each would be great, but when they start sneaking up, there might be cause for concern, as on hops 4 and 5 for the BBC route.

C:\Users\matth>tracert www.fast.com

Tracing route to www.fast.com [88.221.170.233] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.100.254
2 7 ms 5 ms 5 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 63.130.105.130
4 12 ms 16 ms 15 ms lonap.netarch.akamai.com [5.57.80.72]
5 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms a88-221-170-233.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [88.221.170.233]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\matth>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.0.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.100.254
2 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
3 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 63.130.127.221
4 45 ms 10 ms 8 ms ae15-xcr1.slo.cw.net [195.2.2.217]
5 59 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae21-xcr1.hex.cw.net [195.2.8.233]
6 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms lag-10.ear1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.72.93]
7 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae-2-3212.edge6.London1.Level3.net [4.69.141.250]
8 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms FASTLY-INC.edge6.London1.Level3.net [212.113.9.202]
9 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 151.101.0.81

Trace complete.

View more options

Heres my results with the same test :

capture.gif

And my result from fast.com - surely thats not right ???fastcom.gif

Jimbo

View more options

Attachments

if you look around the forum there are more than just you having these same issues but we are starting to come together as a community because we are all having the same issues over and over and vodafone seams to be washing every thing under the carpet etc also the media team needs to be replaced with more qualified advisers lets all help each other please read and share this post https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/we-need-your-help-please-complain/td-p/2620975

View more options

I think the complaint template in the other post didn’t fit with the problems we we having in this thread.

For example - My router doesn’t disconnect at all - my sync speed is great. I have no errors on my line.

The only problem I have is I can’t get 4K Netflix.

The only real complaint I have about Vodafone support is they don’t have a ticket system to log and track issues and complaints. The “chat support” agents are typical script-reply guys - like every other company I’ve delt with.

The difference is - usually - you can drop an email/ticket with other companies and get real help. Vodafone lacks this next level support, relying on chat support is terrible for such a large company as VF.

They DO have a higher level of support - but getting to them is a real pain. Try and get an open reach engineer out with Vodafone. Compare this to talktalk - who have an amazing ticket support system.

View more options