Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WORKING: Own Modem - Draytek VSDL2 Modem/Router with Dynamic DNS

richardhuish
4: Newbie

Jan 2017: I just thought that I would share my experiences with setting up my own modem router with Vodafone fibre home broadband so others may save time and stress when setting up their own system.

I recently moved from another ISP for fibre broadband (FTTC) to Vodafone fibre home broadband. As I have a fairly complex home network with separate subnets, VLAN's and isolated networks I was unable to take advantage of the provided Vodafone modem (what a shame 😛 ) so a week before my broadband was due to go live I went on the instant chat with Vodafone and explained I wish to use my own equipment, after a few moments and without debate I had my username and password 😊

For those who also wish to use their own equipment, you may find using the following key sentences may help:

“I'm after some details to help me to connect to your network. I have read the forums and see that I need to request PPPoE credentials to allow me to connect my third party existing network infrastructure. Is this something that you could help me with today?”

“For reference the third party equipment is approved for use on BT network and is BT SIN 498 MCT Approved.”

“I'm happy to accept all liability by using my own router and understand that I won't be able to raise technical support queries by doing so.”

The transition to Vodafone was simply a matter of adding in the login credentials to my Draytek Vigor 2860ac WAN interface, no other changes were required as the modem was already setup for PPPoE with the correct VLAN Tag, etc.

Everything was fine for the first day, however a day after I started to experience problems with my router failing to update my Dynamic DNS settings. After many wasted hours it turned out that because I'm using statically assigned DNS settings on the LAN (routed to my own LAN side DNS server, then to PiHole for ad blocking, then to Google DNS) at no point had a device inside my network ever connected to Vodafone’s own DNS system (E.G. 90.255.255.90). I temporarily set my PC’s DNS to point at Vodafone’s DNS and up popped Vodafones content controls settings, (http://www.vodafone.co.uk/contentcontrolpage/vfb-force-choice-page.html) which by default is set to Safe. Which by default seemed to blocks all dynamic DNS update queries, possibly Vodafone are just automatically blocking all redirect services which could be used to bypass their own DNS filtering by setting up redirects to those blocked websites.

Once I had clicked through the link everything was absolutely fine and the DDNS updated without issue. I thought it was worth posting this to save others the pain and anguish of my experience.

Setup photos to help others.

WAN setup.JPGInternet.JPGInternet details.JPGDSL.JPGDSL Tone.JPG

23 REPLIES 23

MSV
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Many thanks for taking the time to write this up and share your screenshots.

A new Draytek 2862 just arrived today and I'm setting up ready to call Vodafone later to get my username and password to change over. The standard router has been a terrible experience with overloading and dropping connections.

A few changes since your screenshots for the latest model/firmware:-

1) DSL Modem Code: The AnnexA... number is different than yours, I guess due to update and I will try selecting the one ending in 801 like you show? The other option ends F01. Not sure what the difference is, there is a "Default" option too.

2) Wan connection detection: "PPP Detect". This isnt an option now. The 2 options available in the drop down list are "ARP Detect" and "Ping Detect". I've left as ARP Detect to try, also left MTU 1492 as default and as per your screenshots. 

You dont happen to know if the admin logged in time can be extended? I cant see an option and the default time is very short.

My replies are being auto removed by the system.

Please see my response attached.  

Screen capture due to system deleting my posts

1) DSL Modem Code: The AnnexA... number is different than yours, I guess due to update and I will try selecting the one ending in 801 like you show? The other option ends F01. Not sure what the difference is, there is a "Default" option too.

First, make sure you have the latest firmware installed.
Next, I checked the webpage for your model and is says "This version supports vectoring and uses modem code 779517". Modem codes are model specific so ours will not match, but this is not important. I suggest you leave it on default.

2) Wan connection detection: "PPP Detect". This isnt an option now. The 2 options available in the drop down list are "ARP Detect" and "Ping Detect". I've left as ARP Detect to try, also left MTU 1492 as default and as per your screenshots.

Thats fine.

You dont happen to know if the admin logged in time can be extended? I cant see an option and the default time is very short.

Dropdown box, top left corner under the DrayTek logo, changes from "Auto Logout" to off. (Page 22 of the manual)

First, make sure you have the latest firmware installed

Next, I checked the webpage for your model and is says "This version supports vectoring and uses modem code 779517". Modem codes are model specific so ours will not match, but this is not important. I suggest you leave it on default.

2) Wan connection detection: "PPP Detect". This isnt an option now. The 2 options available in the drop down list are "ARP Detect" and "Ping Detect". I've left as ARP Detect to try, also left MTU 1492 as default and as per your screenshots.

Thats fine.

You dont happen to know if the admin logged in time can be extended? I cant see an option and the default time is very short.

Dropdown box, top left corner under the DrayTek logo, changes from "Auto Logout" to off.  (Page 22 of the manual)

Hi Richard, Your post was extremely helpful to me when changing to a Draytek modem. Everything has been good except 1 issue. Images from many blogs that use cache plugins or host images at https://imgur.com are blocked.

This is a test link that demonstrates the connection issue with the security certificate. Only happens when connected to Vodafone:  

https://imgur.com/a/KlUTx#0

The fix apparently as mentioned on the forums is not to use Vodafone DNS and use Google primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4.

When I look in the Draytek router "Online status" of "Physical Connection" - the router Primary is 90.255.255.255 and secondary is 90.255.255.90 which I would assume is Vodafone. I am struggling to figure out how to change DNS.

I can only see an option to specify DNS on the WAN/ Internet access "MPoA/Static or Dynamic IP" page. I'm not sure if and how to configure this without disabling or affecting the "PPoE/PPPoA" page which I understood was necessary for the VDSL2 connection to Vodafone. 

I can see another DNS  option in LAN General Setup, LAN 1 details page and have set DNS Server IP address to Googles 8.8.8.8 etc which I have changed, but after rebooting the rooter - no change to the Online Status DNS - still Vodafone.

Sorry for all the questions, hope you can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Mark

Ignore my question. 

Solved - On the LAN page, noticed a tick box "Force router to use "DNS server IP address" settings specified in LAN1" After I ticked this, the DNS changed.

Rebooted devices/ disconnected and reconnected to network which forced the DNS change. All working fine now.

Hi. I have a Draytek 2850n that I'd like to put on the end of my CityFibre provided 100meg gigafast service. I have a 'layer 0' question having reviewed this very useful post... have you used the RJ45 ethernet WAN port on your router or the RJ11 VDSL port? The config looks like you've used the RJ11 but my CPE has an ethernet presentation as the fibre is converted. I've tried the same settings but on the ethernet WAN connection info but no luck. It may be because gigafast is different to other VF FTTP services? But interested in confirmaiton you've used the VDSL and RJ11 connection. 

Hi @ctmkuk, 

I have used the Vodafone provided modem&router before with the Draytek Vigor.

I can't remember the exact settings, but I think it was something like:

Vodafone modem&router settings (via it's web interface):

- Set LAN IP to static 10.0.0.1

- Set Wi-Fi and UPNP off

- Set DMZ to point to 10.0.0.10

- Connect LAN port of the Vodafone modem&router to the WAN RJ45 port of the Draytek Vigor.

Draytek Vigor settings:

- WAN >> General Setup: WAN2 enable

- WAN >> General Setup: WAN2: VLAN Tag insertion: OFF

- WAN >> Internet Access: WAN2: Access Mode: STATIC OR DYNAMIC IP

- WAN >> Internet Access: WAN2: Details Page: Specify an IP address: 

-- IP Address: 10.0.0.10 (I.E. The Vigor's WAN LAN Port)

-- Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

-- Gatway IP Address: 10.0.0.1 (I.E. The Vodafone's LAN IP address)

-- DNS Server IP Address: Set to your preference, such as 1.1.1.1 (See https://1.1.1.1/)

- WAN Connection Detection: Always On

- MTU: 1492

- Keep WAN Connection: OFF

- TTL: Change the TTL Value: ENABLED

- RIP Routing: OFF

- Bridge Mode: OFF

- MAC Address: Set to something othet than the defult (not sure why, or what I set this to)

Thanks for all the pointers. 3rd line came through with some key additional info - needs vlan 911.

Moving forward at pace now so hopefully I'll have configured for internal vlans and be up and running shortly.