Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi speeds slow

glendvd
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there. I have one device connected by Ethernet, giving me speeds of around 64mb. Yet any device I’m using on WiFi is only giving me 25mb. I’m also talking about being sat right next to my router. I’ve tried Vodafone’s advice of changing the channels and that makes no difference. Should this be happening? Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @glendvd

Connecting via WiFi will typically give a dip in speeds but yours sounds drastic to me. 

Try deleting the WiFi network connection in the device and re set up a fresh connection. 

Now some devices prefer a conne tion of 2.4ghz and some prefer 5ghz. 

With most routers a person can now split the frequencies to the ones I've mentioned above. Try doing that and then when connecting choose each in turn to see if that helps at all. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Hi @glendvd

Connecting via WiFi will typically give a dip in speeds but yours sounds drastic to me. 

Try deleting the WiFi network connection in the device and re set up a fresh connection. 

Now some devices prefer a conne tion of 2.4ghz and some prefer 5ghz. 

With most routers a person can now split the frequencies to the ones I've mentioned above. Try doing that and then when connecting choose each in turn to see if that helps at all. 

Hi thanks for that.  I have done the frequency splits several times, as per the instructions several people on the online chats and helplines have repeatedly advised.  It never works unfortunately.  And in actual fact, since writing my original post, I have noticed it's also the speeds on my ethernet connected device which are being affected so it's not just the wifi.

Also, I've noticed that it's only on an evening and a weekend that this issue occurs, as first thing on a morning my speeds are fine, wifi and ethernet.  Yet when i get in from work each night, back down to the 15-20 mark.  Then that lasts all night, and all weekend.  Which would suggest to me, too many people using the same line/exchange/whatever the correct jargon is?  In which case, something needs to be done.

However, as I seem to be getting nowhere with the helpers at Vodafone, who i know do their best, but it simply just isn't helping me, I'm just going to take my business elsewhere.  It's a shame as Vodafone have been great till this, but if I can't have my fibre speeds, there's not much point having it is there.

Hi Glen, 

The fact your speeds are low over Ethernet at peak times definitely sounds like a congestion-based throughput issue. It's worth trying to get it flagged up to the technical team - if you could take some screenshots comparing speeds at peak vs not peak times, that might help move things up the chain for you?

@Stacey87 wrote:

Hi Glen, 

The fact your speeds are low over Ethernet at peak times definitely sounds like a congestion-based throughput issue. It's worth trying to get it flagged up to the technical team - if you could take some screenshots comparing speeds at peak vs not peak times, that might help move things up the chain for you?

OK great, i took your advice and they've advanced it to, i think they said "tech - 2", which could result in an engineer being deployed.  However i must admit, i checked my speeds at 7am this morning and they were still below 20.  So we'll see what they say next.  They said last night that they tried the line for me and they were getting speeds of around 66.  Does this not perhaps suggest that the problem could be with my router/cabling?

I honestly can’t believe this. Got home tonight and my speeds are back up to 67mbps. Let’s hope this is a permanent fix then.

Haha, brilliant! In answer to your question, I think the four main areas taken into consideration for throughput issues are network congestion, the router and associated cabling, connection method and the actual device. Fingers crossed your speeds will stay high - if you do have any more issues, I'd /expect/ you'll be asked to run some speed tests with Wi-Fi turned off on the router, your laptop or desktop in Safe Mode, and maybe in another Ethernet port/with another Ethernet cable if you've got one. That should rule out "home environment" stuff and just leave network congestion as the culprit if that makes sense? 

@Stacey87 wrote:

Haha, brilliant! In answer to your question, I think the four main areas taken into consideration for throughput issues are network congestion, the router and associated cabling, connection method and the actual device. Fingers crossed your speeds will stay high - if you do have any more issues, I'd /expect/ you'll be asked to run some speed tests with Wi-Fi turned off on the router, your laptop or desktop in Safe Mode, and maybe in another Ethernet port/with another Ethernet cable if you've got one. That should rule out "home environment" stuff and just leave network congestion as the culprit if that makes sense? 

It does yes thanks. I can only assume they’ve located a fault somewhere in the background and fixed it. I hope it’s not something along the lines of - someone in my street wasn’t online last night so I had more speed!